The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Champlain ice yet?  (Read 2144 times)

Offline grabsjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake Champlain ice yet?
« on: Dec 11, 2014, 10:54 AM »
Hi All

Any ice on Champlain yet? I'm thinking to book a fishing trip for the weekend just after the 1st but if the ice isn't looking good, then I might hold off.

G

Offline shadylane

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Champlain ice yet?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2014, 12:11 PM »
Actually saw a guy fishing the sandbar two days ago. 

I was wondering about campbells bay, anything up there yet?

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2014, 12:15 PM »
A lot can change in 3 weeks...  That's probably when I will realistically make it out for the first time this season.

Offline grabsjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2014, 01:28 PM »
yeah, it could get colder/warmer, december is tricky. glad to hear people are already fishing it.

Offline robearj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2014, 04:56 AM »
Hey everyone
   I live in alburgh right at windmill point and work in essex. There is ice at dillianback, and carry bay, but the problem is 1 foot of heavy wet snow....

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Any place there was ice before the storm the snow is really going to mess it up.

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2014, 09:02 AM »
What are my chances of walking on at the sandbar tomorrow?

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2014, 09:05 AM »
drove by Ticonderoga on Friday and as far as i could see, everything was frozen but it did not look safe yet.
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline jimnvt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2014, 06:54 PM »
I did the loop today  ;D drove by the sandbar ice on the left   open water on the cowbanks side  ice at carry bay and dillenbeck but.. doesn't  look safe to me went   by campbell's 2 guy's were just off shore ... ;D  goose and gander bay have ice but there again I'm going to wait until next week  I live just down the road from there :)
Mother Nature will feed you in 5 and take you in 3

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:26 PM »
Thanks for the update.  I might try out the sandbar tomorrow.  It's shallow enough where I won't have to worry about going swimming.  I'll post results when I get home.

Offline percheater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:28 PM »
Made a loop today and pretty much all the same, went thru with the spud on one whac lots of water and slush. Lapans, white Face, Larabees, chittenden Dam, Beebe, Hortonia, Fern Lake and lake Dunmore south all sealed over but not safe. Did see one guy fishing north of the float Bridge on Bomoseen. Even got to see him catch a small northern on tip ups. That ice looked sketchy to me but the guy said he had 4 inches. IMO 2 TO THREE DAYS of cold weather and we will be able to get out. Only problem is I hear we may get some rain. Hope not too much but a little may help if it turns cold after!!
Gary Owen

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:30 PM »
I spent an hour at the Sandbar today.  2 inches of frozen snow- 1 inch space- 2 inches of ice; underneath there was 12 inches of water with 9 inches of being weeds, leaving 2-3 inches to jig.  No fish.  Nice to meet troutcrazy out there.

Offline spb802

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If it's cold I'm on the hard water...
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:56 AM »
Flagfishon you're a braver man than I, never know where the springs are gonna be and I have gotta wet a couple times out there, now that I'm older I just wait swimming this time of year sucks. How was the fishing though? I have the itch just hoping some cold weather helps freeze stuff up ASAP. Good luck all be safe out there
My passion for fishing and hunting, I owe to my Father and Uncle Art. RIP Art Rye, I will cherish all the days on the hard water we spent together and all the days in the woods. Miss you...

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:30 AM »
I didn't feel there was much risk in only a foot of water.  I didn't catch anything, I think that troutcrazy caught a few.  I just had to scratch that itch.  It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I venture out again.

Offline shadylane

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:13 AM »
I don't know how the sandbar is going to be fishable this year.  Usually with 12-18" of ice you  have another 18" of water under the ice.  This year with water levels being so low through the fall and into the winter how doesn't it freeze solid haha.  You said theres 12" of water under the ice right now, what happens in a month when we have 12" of ice?

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:37 AM »
Nice to meet you, flagfishon!
There was a bit more water than that, I think.  More like 2 feet, or a bit more in places.  I could be mistaken... I meant to measure but I forgot.
I caught a handful of perch-- mostly dinks but enough keepers for supper.  Not much action, really, but I was super glad to get out.

I'd say the solid ice was about 2 or 2.5 inches.  There was a layer of frozen slush, also about 2 or 3 inches on top.   There were visible holes in the ice around the springs.

There is NO WAY I would have gone out on ice like that, if I hadn't known for sure that the water wouldn't even come up to my waist.

I think it's going to be a while before we're on the big lake.  I hope I'm wrong. 

Offline jonny jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:15 PM »
fished isle lamont brige today 9 feet off water dink perch 3 inches of ice slow fishing heading back duck hunting lakes full of birds 

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2014, 07:05 PM »
 south of the bridge north of mccuens today. 2 inches white ice, a space between you could put your finger in then 1 inch of good ice. fished shallow no fish. 2 others were farther out getting a few but not much. i wouldnt jump up and down if I wuz you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.