Author Topic: How many rods and what kind of variety are you bringing with you?  (Read 1478 times)

Offline wicane07

• IceShanty Rookie
Personally I always have 5. 1 med with heavier line. 1 light with 4lb 2 UL with 2lb and a noodle with 2lb.

all have spinning reels salvaged from trout rods gone by.

Like to keep them all rigged with different jigs for quick switching. Here in CT were only allowed to use 2 at one time, but I think that's the most anyone can practically manage.
I try to run one dead stick close by to where I am jigging.

What are you folks set up with?
Am I just carrying too much?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
If I target pan fish I will bring 2 panfish rods. If it is lakers then I bring 2 laker rods and 1 panfish rod in case I mark a lot of smelt and want to jig some up as bait.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm  downsizing my combos; ditching the cheaper rigs for premium reels & custom rods. 2-3  will get it done. Focusing on lures which always produce.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
2 noodles with 2 lb for the bluegills, 1 light with 4 lb if I start hitting crappie, and a med with 8 lb on it, in case I get in to anything bigger.

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
Just like soft water i carry several rods , on ice usually 5 in the bag , went to rods socks last year makes a HUGE difference with tangling.
2 sticks for heavier spoons and darters [ ml], 2 sticks for jig and plastics and lighter baits[ ul]  , and one super-ul for MICRO baits .
That s my set up

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
With my "old" eyes, I have five rods rigged for pannies.  If I break off I can't tie on the ice.  I just pick up a different rod.  They are all about the same length and action.  I have one heavier rod rigged with a larger pimple just incase a pike decides to camp under my hole.
Shut up and fish.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
I actually have 10 rods. 3UL for panfish 3ML for perch/crappies 2M for walleye and 2H for pike and lake trout. For each species I have 1 rod with mono and 1 rod with braided line. I hole hop too much so I don't really deadstick.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
I have 2 bags with 4 rods each ,Light to medium. I also bring 2 heavy rods for Lake trout if I ever try to target them,which is never.
<===Lefty===

Offline nicjohnsrud

• Team IceShanty Regular
When I fish panfish exclusively, I bring two palm rods with 3 lb ASSO New Micron 3 line (.005" dia), I fish 5" holes and have broken the line on the ice while hand lining on anything lighter. I also bring a Fenwick UL with inline reel spooled with 2lb Berkley Trilene Cold Weather (.005" dia). I use this if I go deeper than 15', mainly for crappies.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
normally chase panfish...3 is my normal number
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
I have 2 sets of rods for panfish n trout.. 4 shorter 21-22" inside rods with braid. UL and L for jigging 1/16 to 1/8 oz spoons n raps.  Another set of 4 28 to 30" outside rods in same actions.  I take 1 set or another depending on conditions plus a 40" M action laker/ deep brown trout rod with 10# braid and fluoro leader.  #2 to 4 fluoro asso micron or seaguar on other outside outfits.  Wide n shallow Bass Pro 10 series reels have very little twist. Good drags. Get those jigs back down fast to keep the school biting.

Offline bobkane23

• IceShanty Rookie
I normally take 5 rods. 3 set up light for panfish and 2 set up heavy for pike and walleye. Plus a bag of tip ups.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
this sounds crazy/dumb but i usually take 12 rigs or so with me. About 2-3 of those are bobber/minnow setups and the rest just have different jigs tied on. When I am on the ice I may go through many different rigs until I find what they like. Hate reting when on the ice. Waste of good fishing time :) Would rather quickly grab another rig. I have 6 of my most used combos in a hard case and the rest are put in the largest cabelas ice rod bag.

Kyle_J

6 all for panfish dont fish for anything else.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.