Author Topic: Prepping Smelts?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline HWK

• IceShanty Rookie
Prepping Smelts?
« on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:43 PM »
What are you guys doing to salt/flavor your smelts?
People always say to salt them but I find they instantly defrost and turn to mush as soon as I pull the first salted one out of the bag. I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong because lots of people say it makes them tough so that they stay on the hook.
I've seen people use garlic salt in they same way.

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
Re: Prepping Smelts?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:51 PM »
Im with HWK, havent salted mine for the same reason... Always just turn to mush, salted or not.
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • stay warm, safe and tight lines
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:55 AM »
I agree as well. I always separate my smelts and herring in to zip lock bags, and take a couple with me q when I go out. That way they don't thaw and re freeze a hundred times.
Tight lines and big fish

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:25 PM »
You don't just pour salt on them, you brine them in salt water and you use pickling or course salt, not table salt. Hope that helps!
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline HWK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2014, 01:19 AM »
I agree as well. I always separate my smelts and herring in to zip lock bags, and take a couple with me q when I go out. That way they don't thaw and re freeze a hundred times.

Haha yep good tip. Learned that one the hard way got real excited with my bag of superstore smelts the first time and came back with a bag of mush - had to buy again the next day!

-
You don't just pour salt on them, you brine them in salt water and you use pickling or course salt, not table salt. Hope that helps!

Ohhhh brine eh? Might give her a shot. How long do you let it sit for?

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2014, 08:57 AM »
Seemed to work pretty good leaving it in coarse salt for a day.

I just can't be any help and remember the ratio of salt to water I used.

Good fishin'!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2014, 02:03 PM »
Yes, a course salt rub will work but the difference is after the brine they get an almost rubbery texture and can be bent to a shape and hold the hook way better. I use one cup of salt per gallon of water and soak over night (12-24hrs). Hope that helps!
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.