Author Topic: Flasher or Graph  (Read 7856 times)

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flasher or Graph
« on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:16 PM »
New guy here!!  After moving around the past few years, I find myself back in ice fishing territory.  Ive been looking through all these posts and reading reviews and still cant decide what im going to do.  Im familiar with flashers as I had an FL-18 years back.  I dont want to spend the money again on a Vex so i think ive narrowed it down to either the Marcum LX3 or the Lowrance Elite 4x, which cabelas has for $279.  Seems like the graphs are the rage now so it has me questioning which one to buy.  Ill mainly be fishing shallow in the Mississippi backwaters.  Any recommendations on which one and why? Is there another out there around that $200-$500 range.  Thanks!
FTWGA

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Flasher or Graph
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:29 PM »
Welcome to the site, glad to have you here with us.  Back in 2011 I was trying to figure out what machine to get and spent hours on end researching and comparing different brands and models and in the end I bought a Showdown Dual Beam.  I don't have any experience with the Lowrance machines so I can't comment on that but I like the graph machines because they're easier to use and understand.  Not to confuse you but I'd give the Showdown Dual Beam a look since it's in your price range and would be more of a side by side comparison to the Lowrance Elite 4x.

Kyle_J

« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:38 PM »
I went with a flasher and love it, i wouldnt know if its better or worse than a graph but i think a graph is a great option, its pretty cool having the ability to use the graph for hard and soft water. Some graphs also have lake maps and that would be a great feature to have.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:42 PM »
welcome!

i would not want to use a graph. i have several for my boat.

agreed on the showdown. can get them on sale at times and would want the dual beam at the single beams cost. when your ready to go color, the lx series are better. showdown is gray scale only. it gets muddy when say plankton starts over taking your display towards dark and all night.
six color helps you the most then.
also, the lx-7 has a graph display for those who prefer that type of display. it is going to replace my boat graph because of how nice of a unit it is and tons of options/tweaks. the 8" screen is very very nice to watch.
you can have both at the same time. it allows three display choices at one time, including graph, flasher and zoom and several other choice, but three at any one time. its up to you how you want it displayed. you can have one choice of display or two or up to three. the 8" graph is huge!

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:57 PM »
I have an hds 5 and really like the functionality graph,flasher and gps chart in one is a nice thing to have. I think the graphs are very easy to read and having the few seconds of history is nice. That all said I think flashers are better in shallow water(less than 5') and I'm heavier weed cover.

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:03 PM »
I don't want to start the whole Marcum, Vex, lowrance argument. if I went the flasher route, which is what I know and have used in the past, how do the hummingbirds stack up?  I noticed you can get their top flasher for a little more than the Marcum 3.
FTWGA

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:16 PM »
Just to throw something else out to think about;
I have posted this in the past...
I don’t spend much money on ice fishing, 1, I am fugal (wife says cheap) and 2, I like to tuna fish and that take most of the little money that I spend on fishing. When I was looking for a portable sounder that I was going to use primarily for open water, I know that I would most likely set it up for ice fishing. So that eliminated most of the “Ice Machines” out there, there is nothing “wrong” with any of them, but for the money they ask for, their use is too limited (for me).  I wanted color if I could find it for the right price. When a good color unit is tweaked out right it can often tell you what species of fish is down there. If you don’t believe me just ask a Captain of a good charter boat for cod or haddock, most of the time cod show up as red and haddock as blue… Spending most of my time on the Ocean (Guiding), instructing boat owner how to use their electronics, I have had the pleasure and frustration of using (then teaching the boat owner, how to use) almost every brand out there. I do have a favorite brand; Raymarine, its abilities blows the socks off of most everything out there…
I found the Garmin 300C Fish Finder to have all the features that I was looking for; Color with a high pixel count, a gain that lets me see tiny jigs in 40+ feet of water, a split screen with zoom, a flasher screen if I needed it, but best of all, all for about $200.00.  It does not come or have available from Garmin an “Ice Transducer”, but Ice Shanty is full of ways to get around that. Now that I have used it a few years now, I can say that it performed very well. NO lag what so ever.   I did on a couple occasions in very shallow water have trouble with the bounce back from the ice, all I needed to do was restart and it went away. Not a real problem for me, I really use a sounder in 4 ft of water, but I was testing the unit out… I use 2 rechargeable 6 volt batteries ($20 total) in series for a total of 9 amps (cheaper than 1, 7 amp 12 volt battery). I tested the batteries for about 18 hour in two day and still had not gotten the batteries below 11.5 volts (unit works down to 10 volts).
It would not be the right unit for every one, but it has almost all the features of units selling for twice the money and will work even better for open water use.
One of the reasons for the long posting is to point out that there are many choices, not just the same ones most other anglers are using.
Tight Line!

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2014, 08:58 AM »
I own a humminbird 570 portable graph and it works slick and if you want you can get an ice ducer for it for about 70.00.. Humminbird and Lowrance sell some great graph models that work real good Elite 3x and 4x..

So yeah I sure you will find what you want- And dont let folks tell you graph's dont work as good as flashers, That's a B.S. statement..
Marvin

Offline Chas0218

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2014, 09:19 AM »
I run the hunninbird 35 ice.  I have seen and used other flashers and still like the simplicity of the humminbird and it works just as good as my buddy's lowrance and my other buddy's Vex. It is really all personal preference.  I have always used Humminbird units on my boat and have never had issues with them.  Also I hear Humminbird has great customer service, I wouldn't know never needed it.  Knock on wood.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2014, 09:31 AM »
i've gone away from looking at a dual use sounder.   i have my boat graph and my flasher for the ice.   for me, i didn't want to build a base and cobble together some jenky thing.  Once i started pricing out a softpack base, ice ducer, batter set up, etc etc etc, for my lowrance, i was looking at almost 2 bills.  well hell i can pick up a used flasher for that price.   i prefer flasher mode over graph, no need for gps on the unit, and i'm pretty hard on the units.  a mechanical flasher is perfect for that. 

Offline FourEyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2014, 09:44 AM »
I bought a Lowrance Elite 4 head on Ebay for $60.  Pieced together ice ducer/power cord, a Vexilar Pro Pack II, and a couple Lowrance quick release brackets (one for the sled one for the pro pack) and I'm set for under $200.  Now I have GPS on the sled and sonar (which reveals much more than a flasher) in the shack.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2014, 12:07 PM »
There are several benefits you can get out of graph units that you don't get with flashers, and that has increased their popularity over the last few years.  Flasher still have their place, and work wondefully still though!  I don't have anything to back this up, but I see flashers as a little more rugged and may withstand more abuse.  That's just my gut feeling though, and nothing to back that up.

Pro's of using graphs on the ice though, include:
1. GPS & lake maps on the ice, in the unit
2. Can double as ice & boat unit, saves you from having to own two separate units
3. Multiple views, zoom functions.  I like the graph mode since it provides a few seconds of history.

As FourEyes shows, you can put together an extremely nice unit, for not much money.  Typically less than you'd pay for a used plain-jane FL8 vexilar.

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2014, 02:42 PM »
Thanks all.  I need to go play with them in a store somewhere and see what they offer.  You would think a place like Dubuque, IA, being awesome deer destination and right on the Mississippi, would have a Cabelas or Scheels or something other than a Dicks. 

For those that mentions the Showdown, is it much different than say the Marcum LX3?  I know the marcum has the color and a dial, but other than that is the target separation and just ease of use similar?  Im leaning towards the Marcum, but i want to explore all options.
FTWGA

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2014, 03:44 PM »
its a night and day difference as far as i'm concerned. the lx3 is the way to go. 

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2014, 04:10 PM »
I never used the LX3 so I can't say how easy it is to use however the Showdown Dual Beam is as simple as can be.  A few differences are as follows:

Showdown                                                LX3
Watts                              8,000                                                        2,500
Target separation            1/2 inch (all modes)                                 1 1/2 inches (non-zoom) 1 inch (zoom)
Display                            graph display in black and gray                 Flasher with red, yellow, and green colors   
Transducer                      Dual - 8 and 20 degree                             Single - 20 degree
Zoom                              Infinitely Adjustable                                  Infinitely Adjustable               

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2014, 05:26 PM »
I have a Vex and a Lowrance.  The Vex stays at home unless I need another finder for someone.  The Lowrance, Humminbird 386 and Marcum LX 6,7 and 9 all have flashers (and yes, they are as real time as the mechanical ones) as well as the graphs they are known for. 

Offline FourEyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2014, 05:57 PM »
^Same reason I still have my FL-8 - for a buddy or one of my kids to use if they come along.

Offline Mac Attack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:49 PM »
Graph.

I've owned 2 Vex's and hated them.
I know some guys like/love them too.
To each their own!

Flasher technology is about 40+ years old.
We used them back in the mid 70's in our boats when nothing else was there.
They were great!

Maybe it's a mind thing.
I simply feel that I can see way more on the graph than a flasher.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2014, 08:34 PM »
I use a cheapo HB PMax 175 and am upgrading to a HB Helix 5 DI/GPS. I ice fish with the same finder that I use on my boat for lakes and the Mississippi. You can't use GPS on a flasher, they don't down or side image, sometimes you need more than 20* of cone angle, they are 50 year old tech for people afraid of change lol

Sonar is sonar whether it is displayed as a scrolling picture or a narrowband column bent into a circle - buy whatever unit has the features which you need to fish in your are or for your own personal style

Catchin' Fish

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2014, 11:13 PM »
I think you guys talked me into a graphing model.  I dont have the knowledge to tear down or build a system like a lot of you guys say you have.  This is only be used for ice fishing so Id like to buy a system ready to go.  Cabelas has the Lowrance 4x HDI for $279.  I think for an extra $50 i can get it with mapping which I will probably do if I go this route.  If i had the money I'd get the Elite 5, but its just not going to happen right now.  Any reviews on this unit?  Sounds like it took the place of the X67/68, which seemed pretty popular. 

By the looks of it, I may have some time before getting out on the ice.  BRING ON THE COLD!!! 
FTWGA

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2014, 11:32 PM »
I have the X67c which was replaced by the Elite and I will never get rid of it or replace it, I can only imagine that the Elite is better.  Also you might want to look at the 386ci   http://www.reedssports.com/humminbird/-226239.  It has a dual beam transducer, with one of those beams being 60° which would be beneficial in the shallow water that you'll be fishing.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2014, 11:45 PM »
I think you guys talked me into a graphing model.  I dont have the knowledge to tear down or build a system like a lot of you guys say you have.  This is only be used for ice fishing so Id like to buy a system ready to go.  Cabelas has the Lowrance 4x HDI for $279.  I think for an extra $50 i can get it with mapping which I will probably do if I go this route.  If i had the money I'd get the Elite 5, but its just not going to happen right now.  Any reviews on this unit?  Sounds like it took the place of the X67/68, which seemed pretty popular. 

By the looks of it, I may have some time before getting out on the ice.  BRING ON THE COLD!!!

If you wait a couple of weeks you'll run into some after Christmas sales and the release of the Helix from HB (there is a portable unit) which is a better deal than the Lowrance. The Elite 4 with mapping card should go back on sale as well.

You can put nearly any HB or Lowrance finder in a soft pack...trophy angler sells one for less than $30. The skimmer ducers are very easy to setup for ice fishing - just require a zip tie or two. Batteries can be found nearly any where.

Catchin' Fish

Offline FourEyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2014, 12:05 AM »
Elite 4 head unit only from Ebay $60, Pro Pack II also Ebay $35, Lowrance quick release bracket from Digital Oasis $24, ice ducer/power cord from Hodges Marine (older 6 pin model) $75 All prices include shipping... (I already had a 12v 9amp battery) save money AND get GPS... JMO...

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2014, 09:14 AM »
Elite 4 head unit only from Ebay $60, Pro Pack II also Ebay $35, Lowrance quick release bracket from Digital Oasis $24, ice ducer/power cord from Hodges Marine (older 6 pin model) $75 All prices include shipping... (I already had a 12v 9amp battery) save money AND get GPS... JMO...

FourEyes, but those prices need a little clarification. 
There has only been ONE Elite 4 head unit sold for $60 on ebay in the last four months.  All the other ones on ebay have sold for $75, $85(w/transducer), $112, $123. 
Pro Pack II on Ebay.  That $35 price is for the soft pack (nylon bag) only.  Does not include the plastic shuttle that you need to mount the fishfinder to.  You could make something yourself, but your post made it sound like you'd get the Pro Pack II for $35, which isn't true.
The $25 release bracket from Digital Oasis is a Ram ball that attaches to the back of the head unit.  So you'd also have to add a Ram ball and arm to attach it to anything.  (another $15-20)

Offline FourEyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2014, 02:26 PM »
OK... I got a good deal on the Head Unit - the other prices are correct.  I had some other items around the garage that I used to put it all together.
Here's the release bracket I bought which is on sale right now at another seller: http://www.explosivepowersports.com/lowrance-qrb-5-bracket-for-elite-5-and-mark-5-series-000-10027-001/?gclid=CIuv77SpwcICFQ8vaQodKhMACg
Attached that bracket (used a gimbal bracket i had laying around) to the Pro Pack II hard case I got:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/261642811508?nav=SEARCH
Here's how it ended up...

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 12, 2014, 03:30 PM »
FourEyes, but those prices need a little clarification. 
There has only been ONE Elite 4 head unit sold for $60 on ebay in the last four months.  All the other ones on ebay have sold for $75, $85(w/transducer), $112, $123. 
Pro Pack II on Ebay.  That $35 price is for the soft pack (nylon bag) only.  Does not include the plastic shuttle that you need to mount the fishfinder to.  You could make something yourself, but your post made it sound like you'd get the Pro Pack II for $35, which isn't true.
The $25 release bracket from Digital Oasis is a Ram ball that attaches to the back of the head unit.  So you'd also have to add a Ram ball and arm to attach it to anything.  (another $15-20)

Not to hijack the thread but

CamoHunter nice avatar.  What were you catching

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 12, 2014, 03:31 PM »
FourEyes,
Thanks a bunch for clarifying some of those items.  I must have missed that pro pack on ebay.  That's a pretty decent deal, and you did a great job putting together a nice unit! 

I love these graphs, and as you've pointed out, they can be put together for a very reasonable cost.  MANY more features from a graph, versus an equally priced flasher unit.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 12, 2014, 03:35 PM »
Not to hijack the thread but, CamoHunter nice avatar.  What were you catching

Jumbo Yellow perch!  Was on a super hot bite! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GADubrgJlsk

Offline FourEyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 12, 2014, 05:07 PM »
Same seller has the Elite 4 head units for $60 still.  Good luck Wittman - once you use sonar you'll never want to use a flasher again!
http://m.ebay.com/itm/361150416784?nav=SEARCH

Offline Mac Attack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 12, 2014, 09:14 PM »

Sounds like it took the place of the X67/68, which seemed pretty popular. 

I have both of those units.
And they work great.
Can't get much for them used, but I don't think I'll ever part with them.

Look for one used!!
CL, ebay, or Amazon.

Why buy new?

Good luck!
Mac

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.