Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Mississippi backwaters Lansing  (Read 1152 times)

Offline killermike

• IceShanty Rookie
Mississippi backwaters Lansing
« on: Dec 10, 2014, 11:56 AM »
Hey Guys,  I don't post much, just lurk.  I usually stick to fishing central Iowa.  Some of my buddies and I have the itch to get out and think we want to venture up to the Lansing area to fish some backwaters.  None of us have ever done it and don't know where to go to access it.  We mostly want to make sure we are safe.  As far as finding fish we would love some pointers but we have a couple gas augers and not afraid to drill a million holes to find them.  We are walkers and don't take Atv's on the ice, not sure if that's a necessity up there.  Thanks in advance!

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mississippi backwaters Lansing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2014, 01:31 PM »
You may want to wait for another cold spell before trying out new water in Iowa. The ice is going go bad pretty quickly this weekend.

That said, when you do get over to Lansing the backwaters are a very different game fishing-wise from ponds and reservoirs of the sort you have in central Iowa. Shallow water with weeds--I'm talking three to five feet deep--is what you want to look for. If you can find a deep backwater with safe ice, so much the better, but there are not many of those in the areas I fish on the river.

I don't know the Lansing area well, so I can't give any pointers on where to go there. There are some other people here who can help you out with that.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:44 PM »
Killermike. call me sometime 641-990-1005 I have been up there a few times and will give you an idea of what your in for. John

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2014, 02:17 AM »
Hey toofus do you know if you can access the ice at the marina on the north end of town?
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:01 PM »
sorry i do not have a current report.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline redshackdistrict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:34 PM »
Any ice up that way? Looking for something to do during Xmas down time this weekend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.