Author Topic: does anybody know who to fish a wetaskiwin special the proper way???  (Read 6838 times)

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • stay warm, safe and tight lines
Just curious if there is a proper way of fishing them ?
Tight lines and big fish

Offline clayton

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't Litter Or I'll Know Where You Fish
I would like to know this as well. I bought some when I first came upon them because they look deadly, but have had no success yet.
Don't Litter Or I'll Know Where You Fish

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Is this specifically to target whites?

I've never used one. But a friend gave me one, I usually get extras of my "go to's" and share them with friends and he returned the favor with one.

The one thing he taught me while fishing for whites with them was to micro jig it and spin the line in my hand and only every now and then to jig it a bit more aggressively but only once or twice kinda a thing.  Smash it a couple times of the bottom and repeat.  If that makes sense.

I have caught all my whites on wire worms. But only after changing to this technique. Small rapid consistent movements seemed to bring the whites in and take my wire worms.

I will occasionally get hit on my dead stick for whites, but it's usually this action that I believe brings them in.

My input anyway.

Good fishin'!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline jason22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey I used to use them lots for pike actually, just put a minnow on the non coloured sign and they were money for me.  If your targeting big pike wanna make sure you use some bigger hooks on them. 

Offline Drewski Canuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Use them in deeper water   (10 - 40 FOW).   Lift and  let flutter down to the bottom.   Stop.  Lift up a few inches and  flip it  short and  hold STILL.  No  idea why the hit it,  but they do.  Sometimes  Ling grab them,  sometimes Pike,  often whites.   Stir up the bottom a lot and  that seems to make a difference.

for bait for walleye in shallow water,  put a  minnow across the two hooks on  one  side for a horizontal presentation.  Works  great.

Drewski

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'd like to shake the hand of the man who invented these. For whites in small sizes they will clean up most days. Same as the rest say pound it in the bottom a few times lift an inch or two hold for a min then repeat. For trout fisherman, if you get a small yellow one and attach a kernel of corn on each hook the hook disappears and the trout hammer it.
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looks like they come in numerous blade styles, sizes, and colors. Favorites for whites?

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
who handles these in Edmonton?

Offline Mike_W

• IceShanty Rookie
who handles these in Edmonton?

The fishin hole carries some as does Wholesale sports.

Offline GETFSHN

• IceShanty Rookie
I was using them last thur and the technique is to bounce them in the sand and creat dust like a fish is looking for food. The whites will hit it and I've used big ones and little ones with the same results. I've also used a williams wabbler that is 5 inches long and I keep bouncing it off the bottom and those big whites really want to know whats going on with all the sand and powder coming off the bottom and they hit it big time. Lifting the silt from the bottom also attract Jacks and walleye. Good luck. If I knew how to post pic's on this site I could show you the biggest white I caught last thursday it weight 6.8lbs.
Fishing is an attitude especially when you have a 112 lb. halibut at the other end of the line two hundred feet down!

There was never a fish hatched I couldn't outsmart.

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
GETFSHN, care to share where you caught that white?   ;D ;)
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline demasterangler

• IceShanty Rookie
Watched them on the camera , at sylvan ,last day of season . We might have caught 20
  Or so ,one in the mouth . The fish seem to lay on the spoon , so you hook them all over .
  I know with a small piece of crawler , they work very well on walleyes . I bought them
  At Fishin Hole Cal.

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
You shouldn't be hooking them all over, that is called snagging and it is illegal. Unless the fish has it in their mouth you have no business setting the hook, change the way you fish.
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
You shouldn't be hooking them all over, that is called snagging and it is illegal. Unless the fish has it in their mouth you have no business setting the hook, change the way you fish.

While what you are saying is true, and i would certainly not condone someone going out and snagging fish purposely... if you are sight fishing over top of a fish that is over top of your hook... you may not see the hook in it's mouth... and when it touches your line... you could feel that as a nibble... it's happened to many of us I am sure.
If a person wanted to be snagging fish, i doubt a wetaskiwin would be the first choice, not that I would be speaking from experience  :-)
Fishing
           It's not life and death.
      It's more important than that.

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shackless, I agree but he clearly states he was watching them on camera in 20' of water,(not sight fishing) he also says, the fish lay on the spoon, that also indicates he clearly knows that he is about to impale the fish, so there is no excuse, hence the harsh tone.  Fish hooked this way become susceptible to infection and parasites that increase mortality, not to mention unethical practice of angling. The regulations state that all fish caught in this manner accidentally, must be released. The title of the post asks "Proper way to fish Wetaskiwin" this is not how. Enough said!
Clark Gable

Offline GUNRACK

• IceShanty Rookie
so............. what is the proper way to tie a wetaskiwin special? do you simply use a snap swivel?

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
I tie mine directly on the lure.
Clark Gable

Offline GUNRACK

• IceShanty Rookie
fisherman,
if you are tying directly onto the lure what type of knot are you using? i'm thinking that my goto knot (palomar) would be susceptible to being cut against the sharp edge of the spoon?!?!?!?!
i remember my uncle years ago fishing with one hole on either side of his chair fishing wetaskiwin specials at wabamun lake, aggressive 1ft-2ft at a time and he would slay the whites I wish he was still around to share his knowledge.

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
I use the improved clinch standard stuff. I met a guy years ago on Wab who fished Kastmasters the same way, maybe it was him or a friend, same results just nailed them.
Clark Gable

Offline crazy_chef

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have found that they work great for bringing in the whites, Aggressive jigging of one with a bit of bottom bouncing will get them to scream in but they almost always stop short or taking the hook for me.  They sit there stare at it and if you slow the jigging down they keep staring for way longer than you think possible and I usually end up spooking them away.  If you keep jigging fast they don’t stick around long at all and get spooked and leave as fast as they came in.  The weirdest thing seems to happen if you dead stick after jigging to bring the in, they seem to slide forward and try to lay on the spoon ??? I have no Idea why they might want to lay on it and any movement at this time bumps them in the belly and the streak off.  I have had better luck with the eyes and small pike grabbing it when I am looking for whites and that gets fun when you are using a Marmish and 6lb line.
Gone fishin', be back at dark-thirty!

Offline calgarygringo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Going out tomorrow and picked up a few today for me and my partner at TFH. Last weekend we had whitefish but no bait as we were focusing on pike. We are going to try the wetaskawins and the tips above if we see any coming thru on the camera and see if we can get some action.

Offline calgarygringo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Played around with the wetaskawins today at Badger with no luck catching. Had all kinds of lookers bu no takers. They went for our other lines with minnows on the bottom every time. What we did find though was every time we started jigging them we had the whites come in real curios so we used it to bring them in with a hope that one would bite. Hopefully next time we have more action on them but as an attractent it worked great. Lots of bites, hits, lost at the hole and several for dinner too.

Offline Brandon

• Team IceShanty Addict
I've only ever used them at Pigeon.  I did a lot of reading online and found out some guys tie it horizontal.  I did that and it worked great.  Like I always thought how does this thing catch whites and thought they must be snagging them but this is not the case.  I caught walleye, pike and whites on it.  Highly effective lure if you tie it this way.  Tie it with concave side facing up so it hangs completely horizontal and then just tiny movements constantly, the flash and action this thing has tied like this is amazing.  I would just twitch it constantly 1 to 2 feet of bottom and the whites would swim right in and in hail the thing.  Here is a picture.

THE FISHING DOCTORS ADVENTURES https://www.youtube.com/user/Brandonkop

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
does anyone have  a real photo of one of these

Offline calgarygringo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Here you go Wetaskawin Special
Keep in mind the 2 hooks are also the same on the back side of the lure as well.

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
Here you go Wetaskawin Special
Keep in mind the 2 hooks are also the same on the back side of the lure as well.

(Image removed from quote.)

I pulled a beauty white out of Marie Lake on the weekend using that exact one. I was bouncing it off the bottom with occasional 12-18 inch lift-and-drops when a 3.7lb whitey took a break from chasing cisco to inhale it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.