Author Topic: Burbot Fishing  (Read 1307 times)

Offline PERSONA

• IceShanty Rookie
Burbot Fishing
« on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:17 PM »
Reaching out to the Alaska Boys. I live in Utah but fish for Burbot exclusively in Wyoming at the Gorge. I have a couple questions for you guys that fish for Burbot. 1st what is your go to set-while Burbot fishing through the ice?  And 2nd what depths do you typically fish for them up in your parts? We use 5in glow grubs tipped with sucker meat and generally fish from 5 to 40 FOW. Was curious to see if and what may differ in your methods. Thanks for any and all info!

Offline JediMasterSalmonSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Burbot Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2014, 12:48 PM »
I have fished for burbot in Alaska by set line and rod & reel. 

Burbot move to the shallow water when it gets dark (at night) to forage and feed. Bottom dwellers.

I have used a pole set in a river and rod & reel in lakes.

information about set Line using a pole set method for burbot can be found here:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=anglereducation.burbot 

some good video tutorials and also a good video on cleaning your catch.

I have used a rod and reel using a variety of plastic jigs in various sizes. Jigging and twitching them in shallow water at night. I have not seen a big difference in catch rates using glow-in-the-dark style plastics, but some people love them. I have also seen people tip there jigs with cut bait (herring or white fish). My preferred choice would be to use a 1 to 3 inch white tube jig style on a single hook 1/2 ounce or 1/4 ounce weighted style.

Offline ak Laker hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2014, 05:01 PM »
Wow you fishing the Gorge and not chasing after those monster Lakers. I wouldn't waste time with Burbot
unless you want to help get rid of burbot invading the Gorge .they do taste mighty fine.

Offline PERSONA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Oh ya I've spent plenty of time chasing Macks at the Gorge! I just enjoy the ling fishing and eating! 6 rods and no limit on ling can be real interesting. Just curious to know how others catching them through the ice.

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2014, 04:57 PM »
Nice Burbot Jedi.  Love me some burbot !!!!!!!!!! :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.