The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: flasher experience  (Read 3238 times)

Offline msmith1956

• Team IceShanty Regular
flasher experience
« on: Dec 09, 2014, 05:32 PM »
Finally walked into the 21st century and tried some flashers, and I was amazed with them after I figured out how to operate. I tried the marcom vx1p and the lx5. Both work well and don't know if I'll ice fish without one again. They can make a not so great fisherman into a respectable one at least when fish are active. They've done icefishing what compound bows did for bow hunting.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: flasher experience
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2014, 05:43 PM »
Have to put the food in front of the fish to catch them.
Don

Offline PERSONA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2014, 07:56 PM »
Flashers are a great tool!  However once I upgraded to a higher end graph that lowrance makes I won't ever go back!  My Vexilar has been sitting in the closet for 2 yrs. The flasher just ain't the same to me anymore they're fun don't get a guy wrong but they don't see half the excitement a good graph does!

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2014, 09:12 PM »
Flashers are a great tool!  However once I upgraded to a higher end graph that lowrance makes I won't ever go back!  My Vexilar has been sitting in the closet for 2 yrs. The flasher just ain't the same to me anymore they're fun don't get a guy wrong but they don't see half the excitement a good graph does!

which lowrance you using?
Don

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:49 AM »
I use a flasher, my buddy uses a graph.   I dont see the big deal of the graph-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2014, 10:37 AM »
I got a vex fl-20 last year, my first flasher.  Awesome tool to have on the ice.  Takes the guess work out of finding active fish.  I think one of my favorite things about it is seeing if the fish are interested in what I'm dropping down the hole.  They might come up and check it out only to turn around and go back to the bottom.  Try a different color or different presentation and, BAM, fish on!

Offline eve21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2014, 10:44 AM »
A buddy of mine joined the Lowrance pro staff a couple years ago and now has to use a lowrance graph through the ice.  Prior to that he used a vex fl-18 and in talking with him, if he had his preference, would use the vexilar flasher.
-Tight Lines
-If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2014, 11:35 AM »
I have a graph, and not a great one.  This year I bought an ice transducer for it; we'll see how that goes.  Someday, I might get together the extra money for a flasher.  The graph is great for telling myself what dumb a!z I am.  After I watch someone else icing a fish, I can look back and see how many strikes or looks that I missed in last 10 seconds.  With a flasher, I could just keep thinking that I am the best ice fisherman ever.  :)

s

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2014, 12:10 PM »
I dont get the "history" thing either. Who cares, it's over now move along! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2014, 12:43 PM »
I dont get the "history" thing either. Who cares, it's over now move along! ;D

True, doesn't matter.  I like knowing that there was one there just a few seconds ago, even if I missed him.  Keeps me going; guessing when the next one will come along.  I have never had a flasher but I am sure they are great.  I go fishing even without electronics.  I'll look for you on the ice, if we ever get any.

s

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2014, 02:56 PM »
I think one of my favorite things about it is seeing if the fish are interested in what I'm dropping down the hole.  They might come up and check it out only to turn around and go back to the bottom.  Try a different color or different presentation and, BAM, fish on!

X10   :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2014, 09:37 PM »
Yup, don't care about the fish that used to be there. But I want to meet all the fish that are there right now:)

Offline jimbofireman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:03 PM »
I have a Marcum Lx-5, and love it.  Wouldn't trade it for anything else.  If you want a "live picture" as to whats going on, this is it.

Offline Nhurley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:23 PM »
Finally saved up and got a LX3, not the top of the line but very nice, I love it! have only used it once this year but can't wait to keep using it! Some day I want the LX7 or LX(10?) with the camera.

Offline NeFiShNeTiMe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:21 AM »
I use the lx7 same as the lx6 but bigger. It's definitely the way to go super sharp lines especially when picking crappie out of huge schools. The lx9 is the same but with the camera. Marcum is the way to go
Ezyjiggin101

Offline WyoMountainMan1982

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:12 PM »
Showdown by marcum works well

Offline VegasIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2014, 06:39 PM »
I have just joined the Vexilar scene. I have used other people's vexilars and loved them. Previously I had a humminbird ice/open water unit. It worked good, but only good not great. The FLX-28 is AWSOME! With target separation of less than 1/4" you see everything. If set right you can see your line on the flasher. Makes me wonder what I have missed the whole time I used the bird? But as with any premium product on the market you will get what you pay for.
A bad day fishhttp://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t65/wyohound/for-wyomingites-only.jpging beats a good day of work.

Offline tiny6969696

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2014, 07:29 PM »
I second the flx28  awsome machine

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2014, 07:49 PM »
When I started ice fishing I had a Hummingbird portable that used 2 6 volt lantern batteries, about $99 at Walmart.  I now have a Marcum Lx5 and really like it.  I really could not say if I'm catching more fish or not but I feel better knowing I have one of the best machines out there and only spent $400 more than the first one.  Isn't that what it's all about, feeling good about yourself and having the best toys?  Or am I living in a fools paradise?
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline Born2fsh1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2014, 04:20 AM »
Vexilar and Marcum both great units. I have both, but have issues fishing them close together. I get a bunch of interference on the Vex.  Has anyone had this issue?

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2014, 08:51 AM »
I have never "Flashed" anyone, nor have I ever been "Flashed".........Sorry!

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2014, 10:16 AM »
Vexilar and Marcum both great units. I have both, but have issues fishing them close together. I get a bunch of interference on the Vex.  Has anyone had this issue?

That's why I bought the Marcum!  I have an LX-5 and have always been able to use the interference rejection to filter out issues with other anglers using sounders/flashers.  The other guys always move away from me ;D

All decent sounders/flashers will mark fish, it is the interference rejection that separates the good from the best IMHO......

Offline Ice_King55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 24, 2014, 11:47 PM »
I just purchased a reconditioned Fl-22 hd. It wasn't very expensive and comes with the same warranty as the new one's. I took it our to Keyhole over the weekend and it was nice to see fish were in my hole or not.

Offline jimbofireman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 25, 2014, 03:00 PM »
Marcum has more power and they foul up anything around them.  My Marcum can reject the interference of other Marcums, but Vexi's don't seem to like em.

Offline PERSONA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 25, 2014, 09:36 PM »
LcX-27c with the ice ducer. I'm also not a fan of the constant hum that a flasher gives off and not to fond of the circus lights either.

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 26, 2014, 10:16 AM »
Circus lights "I like that".. LOL

Guess this is what it comes down to me: Do you want to see a fish as a fish "Graph" or a bunch of colored lines bouncing around all day "Flasher"?????? I dont have a flasher because like the gentleman said above i cant stand light bouncing all over the place "Gives me a head ache".. I prefer to see a fish as a fish- On my Humminbird 570 graph i can see things as small as my swivel if i'm using one and the old adage about there is a delay with graphs "Not True" when i move my jig it shows up exactly when it happen on the screen.

So yeah have your flasher I"ll take my graph any day...
Marvin

Offline akaakira

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 26, 2014, 11:03 AM »
I hate the hum too, but the "circus lights" are a good sign... I prefer to see activity in real time, not past tense... My buddy has a digital graph, but uses the digital flasher feature over the graph after I showed him how it works... sorry to beat a dead horse, but history is history...there is no time like the present... just my opinion...

Offline crazy4ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 26, 2014, 02:46 PM »
Me and my fishing buddy have lx5 and he has vex as long as u have it button u don't get interference

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 26, 2014, 03:03 PM »
The controversy between graph vs flasher will never be over, is all what you learned and what you prefer. The history issue, is again a matter of preference. We are not talking about 10 minutes ago, on my LX7, it takes about 30 seconds for a screen to scroll from one side to another. If I look away for a few seconds and a fish swims through the edge of the cone and I then look back, well, I know that he was there and is probably still fairly close. A quick jig or 2 might entice him back. If I'm using a flasher and look away and he swims through, well, I will never know that he was even there. Thus a graph is superior to a flasher, so there.

Offline PERSONA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2014, 10:40 AM »
It will always and forever come down to personal preference. Having the graph will tell you what size of fish your pursing vs a line on a flasher. As mentioned before the history is nice to know when you take your eyes off the screen atleast you know what was there mere seconds ago. If I were ever to fish with a flasher again it would be with a Marcum! They are and have been the leader of the flasher industry even their baseline model will smoke a vexilar or a hummingbird!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.