Author Topic: Boredom..  (Read 702 times)

Offline catchintime

• IceShanty Rookie
  • when in doubt, set the hook!
Boredom..
« on: Dec 09, 2014, 12:29 PM »
I know this topic has been beat to death, but I'm bored and curious... For those of you who use circle hooks, do you use them on all fish or just a specific type of fish?

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Boredom..
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2014, 12:40 PM »
I use them on all fish! Everything from freshwater panfish to saltwater big game. They are very reliable, I've really cut down on lost fish by making the switch. This only applies to bait fishing of course...

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2014, 05:54 PM »
In my opinion they are the most useless hooks ever made ive tried them mostly in saltwater as I don't do much open water fresh water fishing, but have used them from porgys to shark and chunking for yellowfin...useless,sharks gimme a 12/0 mustad j hook any day over just about any other hook on the market and owner 9/0 octopus are great for chunking tuna.... Sorry getting distracted new boat will be here next month and I have salt on the brain lol. Anyways I wouldn't suggest them either way especially for puddle fish I just can't see myself walleye fishing and not setting a hook lol or crappie they would spit that thing before they ever put enough pressure to stick themselves stick with the smallest octopus hook you feel comfortable with and do short quick confident sets and you shouldn't have a problem.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Low you are a smart man!!! Half the competition on the ice is the set and landing of the fish. I do use them for water with a lot of current(carp & cats) but not on the ice. When I tried them 2 years ago I lost a lot of fish by rying to not set the hook!!! My new favorite hook is a live bait shiner hook, made for drop fishing with shiners.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline spanky1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2014, 09:01 PM »
Never used them ice fishing.

I have only use them for 2 things; livelining  scup/bunker for stripers and for my dead stick when blackfishing.

I really like setting the hook and much rather hook a fish that way.
Don't give up, don't EVER give up - Jimmy V

Offline NorthEastFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2014, 10:26 PM »
Use them for bass on the ice cause bass run right when they take the minnow, majority of gut hooks I've had were from bass because they consume the minnow so quickly. I use them for carp and cats in the open water seasons. Besides that it's just usually what I have on me is what I use. If you know how to use them then get them, otherwise don't really bother it's more of a preference thing.
Team CT 203
YouTube Channel: NorthEastFisherman

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:41 PM »
I'll use circle hooks when eeling off the kayak for stripers. Fresh water, give me a good octopus hook. usually a 2 or 4 depending on shiner size. As far as gut hooking bass, I've found I can get most hooks out with that stupid little plastic tool that is in every kids first tackle box. It is there because it works. slide it down the hook. push it out, and the bulb will keep the hook from catching again.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=34758616

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2014, 09:54 AM »
When I said circle hook I meant octopus hook... They're all so similar. I go back and forth between octopus and octopus circle, I think they have to be offset a little to be effective

Offline androux

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2014, 03:52 PM »
The problem with circles is you need to keep constant pressure on the fish after not setting the hook. It works well for tripping tip-ups, as long as you don't yank the line like starting a chainsaw. Why I stopped using them is because as the fish gets to the hole, the edge of the ice angles the line, preventing a straight line of contact. The fish generally started to turn and flip as it nears the hole, and usually ends up twisting out of the "hook set." Nothing more aggravating then loosing fish at the hole. I use either octopus or regular bait holders, size dependent on the species. A cheap pack of baitholders will last you all season, and you won't think twice about cutting the line and quickly releasing a fish you don't intend on keeping, and the rest will come out on the filet board...
A smart person would watch the few that ventured to the ice sheet, the daring would follow in their boot prints, but the pioneers would already be heading to where they belong.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.