Author Topic: Bait- where to buy?  (Read 4004 times)

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
Bait- where to buy?
« on: Dec 09, 2014, 12:00 PM »
Where are all you guys buying your bait from?  I cant handle paying $10 for a pack of 8 freezer burned Herring.  Anyone got any suggestions where a guy can buy 6-10" Herring for a better price?  Thank you in advance.
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline allenford

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Bait- where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2014, 12:55 PM »
superstore, one bag smelt 9 dollars one pack herring (pretty good size, 6-7 count) approximately 3 bucks

Offline imgonnamissher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2014, 01:52 PM »
superstore, one bag smelt 9 dollars one pack herring (pretty good size, 6-7 count) approximately 3 bucks

Same Same. That's where I get mine from too. I spit them up into bags of 12 and throw them in the freezer, Them I can just take what I need for the day without wasting the whole bagful. I get about 5 dozen in a $9.00 bag from Stupidstore. :tipup: :icefish:
When Hell Freezes over........I'll Ice Fish there too!    <><   <*}}}><     <><   <>< <><

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2014, 04:03 PM »
Superstore as above.....and a local pet store for my mealworms and such.

Good fishin!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline degasvegas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2014, 09:32 PM »
Im still fishing with live maggots this year, just gas station bought. But I've been using Berkley minnow heads as well which have been working pretty well for me.

Offline Devan.Brazier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2014, 12:19 AM »
I picked up a bag of smelt from No-Frills for like 4 bucks made me a good dozen day bags all nicely individually frozen so no fighting to get them apart.

Offline clayton

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't Litter Or I'll Know Where You Fish
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:56 AM »
Which superstores in Edmonton area? Calgary trail does not have herring and couldn't find them at south common either. The T&T supermarket(Asian market awesome prices)in west Ed has closed but I just looked them up and there is one on 137th. That would be the best place. Can get a huge bag of fresh herring for five bucks. And lots of other fish if you want to try different baits.
Don't Litter Or I'll Know Where You Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2014, 10:03 AM »
Which superstores in Edmonton area? Calgary trail does not have herring and couldn't find them at south common either. The T&T supermarket(Asian market awesome prices)in west Ed has closed but I just looked them up and there is one on 137th. That would be the best place. Can get a huge bag of fresh herring for five bucks. And lots of other fish if you want to try different baits.

X2

I'm 5 min from west Ed. That used to be the cats butt. I haven't been to the new one yet.

Has anyone?

Good fishin'!
“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

Offline gooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • stay warm, safe and tight lines
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:47 PM »
Agree with superstore that's where I buy most of mine. Minnows on the other hand you need to go to a sporting goods store. 
Tight lines and big fish

Offline oldcountry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:09 PM »
If you don't want to pay the baitshop price, there are a few alternatives.

Superstore has smelts in large bags, and they have a variety of other small saltwater fish too. I often buy the unfrozen herring they sell in a twelve pack for 6 bucks or so, and leave em in kosher salt for a few days.

Check out local sea food places and markets for bulk deals on herring or mackerel.

Pet stores have an awesome selection of waxies, maggots, and mealies. WAY better condition then the bait co stuff. Price is usually good too for 50-100
Best tip:
There are 50 suckers in my freezer that I collected in the summer from various ponds and sloughs. Makes for a fun day out fishing and often finish the day fishing for more sporting species. They are an awesome bait and the big pike can't say no. Salt em and they stay on the hook and you can get two or three fish on the same bait. Mangled and all.

Offline oldcountry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:10 PM »
DF meadows superstore has the unfrozen herring in a pack.

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:36 PM »
If you don't want to pay the baitshop price, there are a few alternatives.

Superstore has smelts in large bags, and they have a variety of other small saltwater fish too. I often buy the unfrozen herring they sell in a twelve pack for 6 bucks or so, and leave em in kosher salt for a few days.

Check out local sea food places and markets for bulk deals on herring or mackerel.

Pet stores have an awesome selection of waxies, maggots, and mealies. WAY better condition then the bait co stuff. Price is usually good too for 50-100
Best tip:
There are 50 suckers in my freezer that I collected in the summer from various ponds and sloughs. Makes for a fun day out fishing and often finish the day fishing for more sporting species. They are an awesome bait and the big pike can't say no. Salt em and they stay on the hook and you can get two or three fish on the same bait. Mangled and all.
How are you catching the suckers?  Ive never seemed to had any luck up this way with them buggers...

Offline HWK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:46 PM »
I wonder how some of the bigger saltwater fish (frozen aisle, superstore) would do?

Smelts - Superstore, minnows at the gas station if I'm desperate
Maggots - gas station, everyone says the pet shops are the way to go - i'll be trying that out this season

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:49 PM »
yeah, im gonna have to try the petstore deal too!

Offline oldcountry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2014, 12:34 AM »
How are you catching the suckers?  Ive never seemed to had any luck up this way with them buggers...
I just use a lindy rig with a dew worm or on bottom with carp type baits. It helps to know where they are stacked, damn near problematic in some spots!
I have some up to 16+ ins I'd like to try. But the 6-8 inchers are the best pike bait I've used on the tip up.

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2014, 11:06 PM »
hmmm.... I'm gonna have to go find these buggers.

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2014, 09:36 AM »
Smelts - Stupid Store
Meal Worms, maggots, crickets(which work well) all from a pet store

Mackerel and larger tip up bait from stupid store if they have it... but ...do not forget to check the local Chinese markets ( T&T) for those bigger tip up baits.
You will see all kinds of different things to try. I had some pretty good luck on some yellow croakers , but not as good as the anchovies or mackerel.

If you get real desperate, buy a jar of Roll mops ( pickled herring) that works too...and stinks good... and if you keep your hands clean... you can dine with the fish LOL

tight lines guys.. have a SAFE season.

Fishing
           It's not life and death.
      It's more important than that.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2014, 09:55 AM »
T&T kicks butt hey Shackless?

I tried these like 11-12" Saury (I think it was) once. Caught a few monsters that day.

Stay safe Shackless.

Good fishin'!

Offline clayton

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't Litter Or I'll Know Where You Fish
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2014, 06:54 PM »
Was just at Calgary trail stupid store and they had herring.
Don't Litter Or I'll Know Where You Fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.