Author Topic: Ice on Taylor Reservoir  (Read 2653 times)

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice on Taylor Reservoir
« on: Dec 09, 2014, 10:14 AM »
I checked the website taylorparktradingpost. com to learn about ice formation up there. They say there's 18" on the lake. Mackinaw hitting well, trout fishing slow. I can remember talking to old Mr. Cranor up there some 25 or more years ago and asked him how cold it got in Taylor Park. He said he'd seen 64 below. They talk about Frazier, Alamosa, and International Falls for the Nation's icebox but if they put a weather station in Cranor's parking lot there'd be no more debate. That would be a good expedition for some diehard ice men. It's a day's drive from the front range but you can rent one of those cozy cabins from Bruce Cranor and at least get the snowmobiles and augers a workout. It's got some nice lakers and some nice pike up there. There's a 44" pike on the wall in the trading post courtesy of yours truly.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Ice on Taylor Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2014, 10:28 AM »
Someone else was wondering about Taylor, Good report. Thanks.
<===Lefty===

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2014, 11:01 PM »
Taylor is awesome but I no longer have sleds so it's not likely I'll be back up in winter time until that changes.  The ATV I have now would be worthless.  Last time up there it was -28 on truck thermo when we drove over the dam at 7am. Snow plows had punched out a single lane through at the spillway and the high side wall was at least 15' over the top of my old 350.  40-50 Macs between 2 of us that day which was pretty average for the 10 or so times I've iced it.  By 11 AM we were fishing in shirtsleeves. 

Most scenic place I've fished in CO and the Macs are there...both numbers and size.  Please release the hogs if you can though.

Didn't know there were pike in there stinky. Get it through the ice?

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2014, 08:27 AM »

[/quote]
Nah, it was in the Spring just as the ice was coming off. Caught mine at the main inlet where the Taylor river comes in. There's probably only a few places on the lake where you might find a Northern, the Taylor inlet, Bull Point and at Elk Creek inlet. I've seen them suspended at Elk Creek when I've cruised over them in my canoe. The Macks are the big draw at Taylor but there're some excellent Northerns in there as well as some decent rainbows. It sounds like you've fished there a lot more than I have. Could you share some Mackinaw wisdom?
Stinky
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Dog-duster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's the ice?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2014, 04:05 PM »
Just called to check on the fishing at Taylor and the guy says their website isn't up to date! It just froze 3-4 days ago and he says no one has fished it yet. Better give it some time before you guys make the trip.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2014, 04:08 PM »
Wow it went from 18" to just skim ice. Quite the difference. Good thing you called.
<===Lefty===

Offline Dog-duster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's the ice?
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2014, 04:17 PM »
Yeah. Me too! I was getting ready to load up my snowmobile and I thought 18" sounded a little too good to be true for this early on and this warm. My sled needs break in miles so I might go to cottonwood anyway but not going to bother with any real ice gear.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2014, 04:33 PM »

Nah, it was in the Spring just as the ice was coming off. Caught mine at the main inlet where the Taylor river comes in. There's probably only a few places on the lake where you might find a Northern, the Taylor inlet, Bull Point and at Elk Creek inlet. I've seen them suspended at Elk Creek when I've cruised over them in my canoe. The Macks are the big draw at Taylor but there're some excellent Northerns in there as well as some decent rainbows. It sounds like you've fished there a lot more than I have. Could you share some Mackinaw wisdom?
Stinky

Nothing special really.  Similar to Granby and Grand Lake. We use the Fish N Map and flashers to find some structure in 30-80' (not DEEP deep).  Drill holes until you mark fish and offer the typical fare...jigs with tubes and split tails, spoons, pimples, kastys etc with sucker meat.  I like to use a thin strip of mostly skin.  IMHO a thick steak kills the action.  Never got anything really big (seen some caught) but it's been consistant numbers for our group whenever we've fished it.  Good luck.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2014, 05:36 PM »
Dog, I apologize for putting out bum information. I wonder when he last updated the website, last March? Lying sack! I'm glad you checked for reality.
Baetis, I've never put in the time to learn Mackinaw so thanks for the advice.
                                                               Stinky

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2014, 07:56 PM »
Dog, I apologize for putting out bum information. I wonder when he last updated the website, last March? Lying sack! I'm glad you checked for reality.
Baetis, I've never put in the time to learn Mackinaw so thanks for the advice.
Really you don't have to apologize, It wasn't you that left bad info on their web site.
<===Lefty===

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2014, 07:59 PM »
Hey lefty how are you I met you a few years back at blue mesa did you do any good on kokes there last month

Offline Dog-duster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's the ice?
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2014, 08:57 PM »
Yeah, no biggie SF.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2014, 09:02 PM »
Hey lefty how are you I met you a few years back at blue mesa did you do any good on kokes there last month
I'm doing good, I never went after the kokes this year my thumbs are shot and couldn't handle that anymore. I even sold 100 Snagging hooks and my Mold to make them last year. I did look for them once around the 28th of December and saw a few in the Bay of Chickens and then went back the 3rd of November and never saw a sign of them. I was going to show my Son-in-law and his son how to snag but they just weren't there. We ended up catching some rainbows and I also caught a couple nice browns.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.