The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Low cost durable power auger recommendations.  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Walleyeking2014

• IceShanty Rookie
Low cost durable power auger recommendations.
« on: Dec 09, 2014, 06:51 AM »
I'm looking to buy a new power auger, I want one in lower cost hopefully but durible. What do you guys have and how do you like them?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Low cost durable power auger recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2014, 07:42 AM »
Check out the Eskimo Maco. A lot of people use them and they last a long time. That being said depends on the user of course.
<===Lefty===

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2014, 06:28 PM »
Probably better off finding a good used one imo. The new cheaper ones are just that, cheaper. Ive learned its better to save an extra year and get a good auger.

Offline nnelzon23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Check out the Eskimo Maco. A lot of people use them and they last a long time. That being said depends on the user of course.

X2

Check out L&M Fleet online for the best price I found.
"Rippin Lips!"

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2014, 06:42 PM »
No intent to overwhelm you with info, Walleyeking.   There a some of us with "MO's" with long life from them. I 've got a Mako, and need no mo, ha.

The Fraternal Order of Eskimo Owners

A yak or 124 pages.      :woot:

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:12 PM »
I have an Eskimo Mako and never had any problems with it.  Glenn's has them for $284.99 with free shipping.  If you want to go cheaper they have the Eskimo Stingray for $269.99 but you have to pay for shipping.  If it was me I'd go with the Mako since it's a more powerful motor (the Mako is a 43cc motor where the Stingray is a 33cc motor) and would probably be cheaper in the long run since you don't have to pay the shipping on it.

Eskimo Mako at Glenn's:
http://www.glensoutdoors.com/fishing/ice-fishing/ice-augers/eskimo-mako-43cc-8in-power-ice-auger.html

Eskimo Stingray at Glenn's:
http://www.glensoutdoors.com/fishing/ice-fishing/ice-augers/eskimo-sting-ray-33cc-8in-power-ice-auger.html

Offline Willpkfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2014, 01:39 AM »
http://m.ebay.com/itm/231409101050?_mwBanner=1
I bought one of these and attached my 8inch hand auger with a adapter.
Got a decent power auger I think for a steal! And it's the same as the mako I believe.

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:44 PM »
I bought a jiffy SD60i about 3 years ago now. What a beast for cutting holes in thick ice. Real easy on fuel consumption. I find it great for re-drillng holes also. Takes a couples of pulls to get it going, but beats the Eskimo auger i had previously hands down.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:30 AM »
Buy a used one thats not made in China, so make sure it has a techumseh engine, anything newer thats made in china will have quality issues, buy once, cry once
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline H82work

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2014, 10:32 AM »
Seems to me like the most cost effective, longest lasting auger would be an old jiffy.  You just have to be careful who you buy it from.  If you find one that was owned by a responsible adult and was well taken care of, it will probably have many years of good service left in it and be half the price of pretty much any other power auger.  I don't know how many older guys i know that still have their first tiller handle jiffy and still use it regularly.  Several of these guys are retired mechanics who took meticulous care of their things and it shows.  You might have to know/learn a thing or two about 2 stroke engines, but that never hurt anybody.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2014, 10:47 AM »
http://m.ebay.com/itm/231409101050?_mwBanner=1
I bought one of these and attached my 8inch hand auger with a adapter.
Got a decent power auger I think for a steal! And it's the same as the mako I believe.
Same motor as the one on the Eskimo Mako... might not be tuned for cold weather though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.