Author Topic: How To - Convert your Boat's Fishfinder to Ice (Humminbird)  (Read 26476 times)

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
I've had a few people ask, so figured I'd make a "How To."  You can do the same thing with most Lowrance units, but this will be specific to Humminbirds.  You can do this with almost all Humminbird units (as long as it accepts the dual beam transducer 83khz/200khz, which is pretty much all of their current units made in the last 10+ years).
Really, the only thing you NEED is to purchase an ice transducer and portable battery.  Some would argue you don’t even need the ice transducer, and could use the boat transducer that came with your unit.  I won’t get into that.  I’ve found it is easier to just buy the $65 ice transducer, rather than take your boat transducer on and off the boat each season, and try to rig up some contraption to get it to sit level in the ice hole.

So, here you go:
Ice Transducer XI 9 20 - $65 on Amazon.com
12v 10ah battery - $22 on Ebay, or 12v 9ah battery - $18.20 on Ebay, or 12v 7ah battery - $15.00 on Ebay
I prefer the 12v 10ah, since it has the same size footprint and it provides power for a longer period of time.

You could use the base mount and power cable from your boat if you’re willing to bolt/unbolt those from your boat and move them back and forth.  However, save yourself some headaches and purchase a second Unit Mount and Power Cable.  Dedicate one to the boat, and one to a portable ice fishing pack.  That way, all you have to do is pop your fishfinder off the boat’s Unit Mount and put it on your ice fishing pack. 

The basemount you require will depend on what fishfinder you own. 
700 HD series – MS 700E ($25)
700 non-HD series – MS M ($25)
100/300/500 series – MS M
Piranhamax series – MS PM ($25)

You'll also need a Power Cord for your unit (Most units take PC10, some units take a different one)
PC10 - $15

If you’d like a portable carry pack, Humminbird sells a Nylon Carry Pack and plastic shuttle that work very well.

They sell two conversion kits:
PTC U – Includes Nylon Case, Plastic Shuttle, 12v 7ah Battery & Charger,  ($120) - also includes a suction cup mount for a boat transducer
PTC UNB – Includes Nylon Carry Case, Plastic Shuttle ($90) - also includes a suction cup mount for a boat transducer
CC ICE – Don’t buy this, it only includes the Nylon Case.

A cheaper way to acquire the Carry case, plastic shuttle, and battery may be to purchase a Humminbird Piranhamax Portable unit.  You can find a Piranhamax 150 Portable for $100, and part it out.  You get the same parts as you would get if you bought the PTC U Conversion kit, PLUS you get a Piranhamax 150.  Keep the Nylon Case, Plastic Shuttle, Battery, Charger, and Power cord, and then sell the Piranhamax 150.  You can probably sell it for around $30-40. 

This thread shows some pictures of the carry case & shuttle.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=229531.0

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How To - Convert your Boat's Fishfinder to Ice (Humminbird)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2014, 10:37 AM »
I would add that once you have all your conversion parts many Humminbirds will default to demo mode and give an error message that the transducer is not connected... Ice transducers don't have a temp sensor and many HBs use the temp input to recognize that there is a transducer connected. Without the temp signal it will not "see" that you have an ice ducer connected and you have to go into your menu and set demo mode to hidden. It will then "see" the ice ducer and work as intended. I know a few people that have been stumped by this once getting the ice ducer... Myself included.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2014, 01:01 PM »
Great info. Just curios. I have a 597 ci HD DI on the bow of my boat. I saw Cabelas selling an "ICE" 597 ci HD. Is there any real difference between the 2 outside of the transducer? I am really intrigued now and having GPS would be a real big help. Would love to use my unit and would probably start with the flasher mode, which I have never used. Are the colors adjustable as I recall that when running through the screen modes the flasher mode was grey or black. I didn't notice a battery level indicator either. maybe I just didn't notice or is that unique to the ICE version?
Thanks and great info!
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline kbush

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2014, 01:25 PM »
has anyone converted a Humminbird 800 HD series?  i'm thinking about it, but concern lies with the battery.  I don't want to lug around a 24 or 27 series battery.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2014, 02:58 PM »
800stealth, Good point!  Forgot to add that menu adjustment!  Thanks!

Coachkwj, there isn't any real difference.  Humminbird used to advise not using the ice transducer with DI units, but they've since come out with a software update that fixed that. 
The "Ice 597ci HD" is no different than your unit, except that it comes with the case, battery, and ice transducer. 

kbush, Converting an 800 series is no different than converting any other series.  Other than the width of an 800 probably would not fit inside the Humminbird nylon case, and it draws more battery power.  You could solve that by buying a second 12v 10ah battery if you wanted to use it on the ice.  An 800series says it draws 780mA.  By comparison, a 500/700series draws 615mA.  A 300series draws 300mA.

Offline RickC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2014, 04:14 PM »
Converted my 798 a couple of years ago

Offline kbush

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:08 AM »
RickC - Are you using 12v 10a with the 798?  How long will a fully charged battery last on the ice?

Offline markrazzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2014, 09:17 AM »
Wow, thanks for the info!  I have a marcum LX5 that I use, but I also have a Humminbird 587 HD DI that I bought for my kayak.  I've been wanting to turn that into an ice unit to have a spare (or even use with all my GPS plots!) for my wife... but I always thought since it was DI, that it wouldn't work.  So all I have to do is update the software and we should be good to go?  (other than purchasing the conversion stuff you outlined). 

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2014, 10:00 AM »
Will updating the software affect it's use in open water?
Also, does anyone know if there is a part # for just the plastic shuttle from Humminbird?

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2014, 11:22 AM »
RickC - Are you using 12v 10a with the 798?  How long will a fully charged battery last on the ice?

I use a 10 ah battery to power everything in my shack... HB 598 HD/Si, 110 inverter for charging camera batteries and my laptop or tablet or whatever I bring for tunes, and a small fan. Even with all that stuff the 10 ah gets me through sun up to sun down with more time to spare. I will also be adding l.e.d. lighting in the next couple weeks and have no intentions of going to a bigger battery. One thing I will note is that my battery doesn't get cold... I keep the Bayrunner around 80 degrees when on the ice, I'm guessing that helps my run times compared to a battery in a flasher bag sitting on the ice.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2014, 11:27 AM »

I use a 10 ah battery to power everything in my shack... HB 598 HD/Si, 110 inverter for charging camera batteries and my laptop or tablet or whatever I bring for tunes, and a small fan. Even with all that stuff the 10 ah gets me through sun up to sun down with more time to spare. I will also be adding l.e.d. lighting in the next couple weeks and have no intentions of going to a bigger battery. One thing I will note is that my battery doesn't get cold... I keep the Bayrunner around 80 degrees when on the ice, I'm guessing that helps my run times compared to a battery in a flasher bag sitting on the ice.

Wow, thanks for the info!  I have a marcum LX5 that I use, but I also have a Humminbird 587 HD DI that I bought for my kayak.  I've been wanting to turn that into an ice unit to have a spare (or even use with all my GPS plots!) for my wife... but I always thought since it was DI, that it wouldn't work.  So all I have to do is update the software and we should be good to go?  (other than purchasing the conversion stuff you outlined). 

Down imaging and side imaging won't work on the ice or anywhere stationary, you have to be moving for those features to work. But regular sonar will work just fine.

Offline markrazzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2014, 11:42 AM »

Down imaging and side imaging won't work on the ice or anywhere stationary, you have to be moving for those features to work. But regular sonar will work just fine.

I guess I should've been more clear.  I planned on buying the ICE Ducer and using that.  It was not compatible with DI units because it could cause damage to the head unit.  Now there's a software fix (confirmed via email from Humminbird Customer Service) that will prevent that damage.  I know DI and SI don't work unless you're moving, and I know that sonar would work with my current transducer - but I have that permanently mounted inside my kayak.  Having a separate "ice" setup where I can just move my head unit from kayak to ice fishing is ideal for my soon-to-be backup unit... and if I really like it, maybe my first choice unit. 

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2014, 12:14 PM »
September 16, 2013 was the first I'd heard about the software update from Humminbird allowing the XI 9 20 Ice Transducer to be hooked up to a DI unit. 

I saw this on another forum in September 2013:
"Thank you for contacting Humminbird. We appreciate your interest in our products. The 597ci HD DI unit can now use the ice transducer XI 9 20 with the latest software update, with the latest software update there is a setting under the Sonar menu called Digital Depth Source that must be changed to 2D element when using the XI 9 20 transducer."

Off another forum:
The software update as of version 6.250 enables the ability to use DI units for Ice Fishing - In combination with the XI 9 20 Ice transducer… which uses the 200kHz sonar beam.
- Ensure you have the latest software version (at least 6.250)
- Be sure the user mode setting from your menu is set to Advanced User Mode and the Digital Depth Source on the Sonar Menu is set to 2D - Not Auto.
This will ensure usability of XI 9 20 tranducer on Humminbird DI models for Ice Fishing.

http://www.manitobafishingforum.com/forum/9-manitoba-lodge/13596-humminbird-597ci-hd-di-combo.html
http://hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3125761/Humminbird_597_ci_HD_DI_for_Ic

Though, on page 12 of the 2014 accessory guide, it still shows compatible with most units "except DI units". 
http://www.humminbird.com/uploadedfiles/content/category/support/faq/accessory_resource-guide_2014_x5.pdf

So, I guess you be the judge.  Several people have updated software and used the Ice Transducer on their DI unit and it works fine.  So I guess I no longer consider it an issue with DI units.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2014, 12:21 PM »
Will updating the software affect it's use in open water?

Software updates wouldn't affect it's use in open water.

Also, does anyone know if there is a part # for just the plastic shuttle from Humminbird?
I don't know of a part number for the plastic shuttle, but you could probably call Humminbird and find out.  Though, I'm guessing the price they'd ask wouldn't make it worth it.  The reason I say that, is because they list the PTC UNB for $140 on their website. It only includes the Nylon bag and Shuttle.  So I'm guessing they'd ask $90-100 for the shuttle if you were able to get just the shuttle. 

You could get the PTC U NB online from walmart for $90 with free shipping.

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2014, 10:15 AM »
Here is the response I got from Hummindird. Asked about damage without the software upgrade also.
That doesn't seem to be the case but I'm going to anyway.

Thank you for your support of Humminbird.

Your unit is designed to look for temperature. The ice transducer does not have temperature which is why it shows transducer not connected. In order for the unit to recognize the transducer you will need to force the unit into normal mode and shut demonstration mode off on the unit. Once you shut demonstration mode off this one time, from this point on when you power the unit on it will automatically come on in normal mode regardless of the transducer. To activate this feature you will do the following really quick.

1. Power the unit on time you see the loading message you will press the menu key once

2. Press exit to continue

3. Press menu 2 times

4. Right cursor to setup

5. Down cursor to user mode and right cursor to advanced

6. Down cursor to demonstration mode and left cursor to shut demonstration to shut it off

7. Press the exit key once

8. Left cursor to sonar and down cursor to ice fishing mode and use the right cursor to turn ice fishing mode on

9. You will then cursor to sonar source and choose 2d element

Once you have done the following you will press exit 2 times to leave your menu option. From this point on the unit will come on in normal mode regardless of which transducer is connected.

Stay Warm and Tight Lines!

Juanita

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:02 PM »
Another option would be to find a uses genz box to mount your unit to. Works really well after you modify it a bit. took me 10 min to put it together

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2014, 03:23 PM »
Got just about everything I need. EXCEPT ice!
Any other settings that might need changing?

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:17 AM »
You can play around with it in demo mode, and get to know your different view screens and menu adjustments.
Here are some of the settings I do on mine:
Sonar tab, turn off RTS. Not necessary, that's just my personal preference.
Sonar tab, increase scrolling speed.
For night fishing, I like to change the background color to black instead of white, and dim down the brightness.  It helps keep you from blinding yourself since the screens are so bright. 
I usually use only 200khz since it is a narrower sonar cone versus 83khz.
Also, learn how to adjust the min depth max depth setting in sonar mode.  You can effectively zoom in on any portion of the water column by adjusting these.  Example, if you're fishing 20ft of water, and want to zoom in on the bottom 5 ft, set min depth at 15ft and max depth at 21ft. 
You can also to a split sonar view, with half the screen showing a zoomed in portion, and half the screen showing the full water column.

That should get you started.  There's plenty of other things to play around with once you learn the unit well.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:24 PM »
http://www.marinegeneral.com/productdetails.asp?productid=1621399&directoryid=&parentid=  cheap soft side case

you can also skip the ice ducer and use the skimmer

Catchin' Fish

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:37 AM »
http://www.marinegeneral.com/productdetails.asp?productid=1621399&directoryid=&parentid=  $20 cheap soft side case
You've still got to buy a genz pack or something to go with that case.  Need something to hold the battery and mount the finder onto. 

Here's what I did.  I bought a used Piranhamax 150 Portable for $65 on ebay.  I kept the bag, shuttle, and battery, then resold the Piranhamax 150 for $45.  Take off $12 shipping, so I got the Humminbird bag, shuttle, and battery for about $30

you can also skip the ice ducer and use the skimmer
You can use a boat transducer, and many people have.  However, there are a number of issues to overcome using that method.  The transducer needs to be pointing straight down everytime.  If you're mobile and move a lot, that's a lot of messing around with a less than ideal setup.  When you can get an ice transducer for $60, it's worth it to save yourself the headaches of trying to make a boat transducer work for ice fishing.  That's my opinion based on my experience anyways, for what it's worth.

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2014, 01:23 PM »
Here's what I did.  I bought a used Piranhamax 150 Portable for $65 on ebay.  I kept the bag, shuttle, and battery, then resold the Piranhamax 150 for $45.  Take off $12 shipping, so I got the Humminbird bag, shuttle, and battery for about $30
Will the Piranhnamax mount work with the 596 ci HD?
Does it come with the ice ducer? Even if not, a pretty good bargain.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2014, 02:27 PM »
Nope, you need to take the mount off your boat, or buy a second base/power cord for your portable ice fishing setup.  The portable Piranhamax does not come with an ice transducer, that is a separate purchase.

Offline MadPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:03 PM »
Can you see a tiny jig in graph mode on something like a 570?

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:19 PM »
Madperry: Yes you can see a Jig on most all the models of humminbird.. I do have the 570 and it will even pick up my tiny swivel so a jig is no problem- I typically only fishing in 30 FOW or less though.
Marvin

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:35 PM »
I run Lowrance units but last week a friend had me try a HB graph (688 I believe) that he is setting up for his dad and it is a very nice hard water sonar. It didnt seem to have as many adjustments but it worked which actually may be a benefit. Simpler.

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:49 AM »
Camo, Anyone- I'm about to pull the trigger on a Pirahanna Portable as it would be less hassle than trying to build my own shuttle. The mounting bracket for the unit looks different but I have an extra one (MS-M) from an older model unit that came with my boat that will fit my 597. My question: Is the hole pattern that secures the mounting bracket to the base the same? Would be quick fix to just swap out the one from the Pirahanna (MS-PM) to the one for the 597 (MS-M). Looking at pictures, it should be the same.
Thanks.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2014, 11:22 AM »
Yes, it's a quick fix, it is the same hole pattern.  Although, that doesn't really matter.  Humminbird pre-marked the base with holes for 4 or 5 different hole patterns.  So it can accept a wide variety of fishfinder bases.

Offline gofish33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gone fishin
« Reply #27 on: Dec 25, 2014, 01:30 PM »
Many thanks for this thread.  I just ordered the pieces necessary to convert my HB 598 to a portable ice fishing sonar .  I have a Marcum, always wanted to try ice fishing with a graph ....and now I can !!!

Thanks again,
gofish33

Offline whoay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • giddy up
« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2014, 02:17 PM »
remember though the humminbird 9 and 19 transducer isnt 9 and 19 degrees its the same as open water 20 and 60 degrees.....

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Correct.  83khz and 200khz sonar cones.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.