The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Best Ice Fishing Gloves?  (Read 10083 times)

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
Re: Best Ice Fishing Gloves?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2014, 04:47 PM »
I bought a pair of Outdoor Research (OR) Alti mitts a few years ago. Waterproof, leather palms, they come w a reaaly nice prima loft mitten insert but I have never had to use the insert. I use them a lot in winter, fished in bitter cold etc. After 3 winters they show know wear at all. Pricey but best Mitts I have owned.Easy to do tasks with them on. Very light and not bulky to work with. Here is their descrition:
MEN'S ALTI MITTS™
STYLE# 71892OR (11 Reviews) | Write a Review    Built for 8,000-meter peaks and Arctic expeditions—stay warm, protected and focused on the terrain in the Alti Mitts. Constructed with breathable and waterproof GORE-TEX®, high-loft Moonlite Pile™ fleece and water-resistant PrimaLoft® Gold Insulation, removable liners layer on protection while durable water-repellent Pittards® leather palms and Kevlar stitching withstand brutal alpine punishment...
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2014, 04:55 PM »
For that brutal walk from my truck to my shack, and the even more miserable 50 foot trudge from my shack to Snopro's shack, I keep my hands in pockets.  Sometimes they're even my own pockets.  Other than that I don't worry about cold fingers.  We both tend to keep our shacks pretty warm.

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2014, 05:00 PM »
For that brutal walk from my truck to my shack, and the even more miserable 50 foot trudge from my shack to Snopro's shack, I keep my hands in pockets.  Sometimes they're even my own pockets.  Other than that I don't worry about cold fingers.  We both tend to keep our shacks pretty warm.
Maybe i should post up a picture of the mittens my aunt made me! But i don't post pictures!
Is it ice time yet???

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #33 on: Dec 08, 2014, 05:02 PM »
I've been a big fan of Gore Windstopper fleece gloves for the last 10 years. It's thin, warm and keeps my hands warm when it's wet. There are several brands that make gloves from this material. My favorites are the Mountain Hardware Gravity Gloves and the Outdoor Research Gripper Gloves. The Mountain Hardware gloves have leather palms for durability and the OR gloves have silicone palms for a better grip. If my hands and gloves are going to be wet the OR gloves are better because they don't have any leather which stays wet. For everything else from snowmobiling, skiing, chainsaw work or most other cold weather activities the leather palms make the Mountain Hardware gloves the better choice. Either one will keeps my hands warm in any weather. The OR's fit so good that I can bait a hook with a maggot without removing the gloves.

These are my ORs 4 years old...
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #34 on: Dec 08, 2014, 05:41 PM »
My mittens with wool liners are 50 yrs, old I use a mixture of bear grease and bees wax.  Have had repairs on my wool liners.

50th birthday gift ?  .  he he he he

A good mitten is the way to go if your tending  tip ups. 

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2014, 05:52 PM »
What do you guys find best? I’m gonna pick up a couple pair of whatever you guys most recommend. Thanks!

I don't use gloves.......I don't catch anything anyways so my hands don't get wet and freeze! :(
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:14 PM »
Pig skin mittens with wool liners.  Coat them a couple of times a  season with my Rendered bear grease and Bees wax mix.

Offline MAINETROUTWHISPERER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 08, 2014, 09:16 PM »
I used the Frabill Task gloves. Love em. Waterproof, warm, and not too bulky.

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 08, 2014, 10:09 PM »
I just bought a pair of the Atlas 460's. I wore those on the boat in AK this summer. I spent hours down in the -18 degree freezer hold and never had cold hands. They are 100% water proof to boot. I'm excited to give them a try on the ice this winter.

Offline lobsterman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • quit crying and start fishing.
« Reply #40 on: Dec 09, 2014, 06:25 AM »
bare hands hard to land fish with gloves on

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #41 on: Dec 09, 2014, 06:35 AM »
I have a few types I always wear.  I have a pair of leather/Gore Tex gloves I wear for general purpose use and when it's cold but the ones I wear the most when actively fishing or jigging are Atlas thermals.  They have a textured rubbery surface that gives a good grip and is waterproof.  Plus they're thin enough to use when jigging.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 09, 2014, 03:08 PM »
I have some heated gloves from Cabelas (their brand). They have rechargeable batteries that  work for 2-3 hours so I have 6.
I have Raynauds disease which produces cold hands but these gloves keep my hands warm until I catch a fish and have to deal
with it.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #43 on: Dec 09, 2014, 03:42 PM »
Boiled wool mittens and wool wristers.
Steve

Offline NickM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 09, 2014, 06:32 PM »
I don't have a good pair of gloves myself at the moment, but leather with wool liners are the best from past experience. You have to take most gloves off to put bait on or pull lines in most cases anyway. The gloves are just a place to let cold/wet hands warm back up in between those times, and nothing beats wool inside some kind of animal skin.

With the exception of modern insulated rubber boots, I think that wool and leather are the way to go in cold weather. I'm just getting back into ice fishing, but I've done a lot of winter camping and it leads me to believe that the old ways are the best ways in most cases (Under Armour and Sorels excluded).

Offline Tilt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 10, 2014, 01:10 PM »
I’ll do that! Thanks!!!  :thumbsup:

Maybe in a pocket with some “hot pockets”. I’ve got one of those lighter fluid warmers too.

The lighter fluid and even the old solid fuel hand warmers work great with this method.  It's also handy to to keep one of those Shammies in with your gear as they will dry you off quick if you unexpectedly get wet  :o.  If you are wearing pack boots and you submerge them just stuff the shammy in there and it will suck the moisture out of the liner.  Can keep you on the ice in a pinch and save a trip. 

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 10, 2014, 05:20 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)
These are my ORs 4 years old...
OR makes good quality gear. I'm sure your mitts are quite warm and perfect if you aren't trying to do anything that requires dexterity. I want to watch you try to bait a hook while wearing them.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #47 on: Dec 10, 2014, 05:35 PM »
OR makes good quality gear. I'm sure your mitts are quite warm and perfect if you aren't trying to do anything that requires dexterity. I want to watch you try to bait a hook while wearing them.
dude the mitts are on the ice when the hooks are being baited and all the line work is being done . then the mitts go back on to warm the hands back up and to hold the cold beer with .

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 13, 2014, 08:49 AM »
Opinions on these?

Frabill FXE Performance Task Glove

IceArmor Edge Gloves

i.d.i. gear Arctic Armor Gloves

The Frabill ones look like a good choice. I’m gonna hit Reny’s to look at gamefisher’s suggestion.

I have worn out two pair of arctic armor mittens in two seasons and no longer stock them due to their poor longevity. the Frabill stuff is top notch and continues to stay waterproof after wear. The task series is not nearly as worm as the gauntlet. I use the FXE gauntlet, its the warmest pair of mittens I have and I have a basket of mittens. Icearmor look nice and fluffy but I have never tried them, they are a good seller though.
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #49 on: Dec 13, 2014, 09:05 AM »
I have worn out two pair of arctic armor mittens in two seasons and no longer stock them due to their poor longevity. the Frabill stuff is top notch and continues to stay waterproof after wear. The task series is not nearly as worm as the gauntlet. I use the FXE gauntlet, its the warmest pair of mittens I have and I have a basket of mittens. Icearmor look nice and fluffy but I have never tried them, they are a good seller though.

I got the Task gloves in the mail yesterday. Got LARGE. A bit tight I thought, so I sent em back for a pair of XLs. I thought a lot about the gauntlets. Seemed like it’d be too much of of a chore to get em on and off during a good jigging bite. I want stuff I can just flip off and slide right back on. My blue clam gloves with insert liners are good too and I will keep using em on moderate days. I can pick up a quarter with them on, even with the liners.  I also got some deer skin choppers with removable liners. Added to those a couple pairs of rag wool inserts. We’ll see how that works out. I’ll also have some of those warmer packets for extreme cases.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 13, 2014, 08:00 PM »
dude the mitts are on the ice when the hooks are being baited and all the line work is being done . then the mitts go back on to warm the hands back up and to hold the cold beer with .
Read my post earlier in this thread. With the right gloves you can bait a hook with a maggot while wearing your gloves.

Offline Cut Bait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A Day on the Ice...Priceless
« Reply #51 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:37 PM »
Always have used mittens inside leather ones.....fingers stay warmer when together

Offline MAINETROUTWHISPERER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 14, 2014, 07:53 PM »
I got the Task gloves in the mail yesterday. Got LARGE. A bit tight I thought, so I sent em back for a pair of XLs. I thought a lot about the gauntlets. Seemed like it’d be too much of of a chore to get em on and off during a good jigging bite. I want stuff I can just flip off and slide right back on. My blue clam gloves with insert liners are good too and I will keep using em on moderate days. I can pick up a quarter with them on, even with the liners.  I also got some deer skin choppers with removable liners. Added to those a couple pairs of rag wool inserts. We’ll see how that works out. I’ll also have some of those warmer packets for extreme cases.

Dicks Sporting goods sells the task gloves too if you need to try different sizes, but it sounds like you prob. ordered the right ones.

Offline ducksdown07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 19, 2014, 04:50 PM »
I'm primarily a saltwater guy, so I stick with the insulated orange vinyl commercial fishing gloves if its not too cold - cheap, waterproof, and effective, bring a couple of pairs in case one gets wet.  Can't beat chopper-style mitts for colder days.

This. I prefer the ones without the cuff also, easier to get your hand into. Best gloves ever
Some people say "if it flies it dies"
I'm on record that "if it just sits there, it still dies"
-Phil Robertson, The Duck Commander

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.