The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Best Ice Fishing Gloves?  (Read 10084 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Best Ice Fishing Gloves?
« on: Dec 08, 2014, 06:04 AM »
What do you guys find best? I’m gonna pick up a couple pair of whatever you guys most recommend. Thanks!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best Ice Fishing Gloves?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2014, 06:18 AM »
I have never found a glove that could hold a candle to the tried and true well greased leather chopper with a wool liner.  Labonville, Renys, Hussey's, Wiley's, etc.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2014, 06:47 AM »
I have never found a glove that could hold a candle to the tried and true well greased leather chopper with a wool liner.  Labonville, Renys, Hussey's, Wiley's, etc.

What do you grease em with?
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline NewportMe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2014, 06:54 AM »
what Gamefisher said     I use mink oil.  As an aside my cousin and I used to tease my uncle about his chopper mits when we were kids..... now we all wear them

Bruce

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2014, 06:59 AM »
Opinions on these?

Frabill FXE Performance Task Glove

IceArmor Edge Gloves

i.d.i. gear Arctic Armor Gloves

The Frabill ones look like a good choice. I’m gonna hit Reny’s to look at gamefisher’s suggestion.

Offline Bridog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:02 AM »
Absolutely choppers mitts with wool liners....nothing better.

Bridog
Brian

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:26 AM »
Joe,

My hands don't get cold so I fish a lot with my bare hands and use mittens to warm them up. I haven't really found anything I can fish in, and I have tried about every brand mentioned on this board. So, here are the ones I like best in various categories:

Mittens and Heavy Gloves- Frabill Gauntlet FXE Glove and Mitts (much better than Ice Armour and other brands I tried)

Light gloves- Kind of a tie between Frabill FXE task and Youngstown Winter Plus Gloves ( these are a bit stiff but have lasted a long time).

Neoprene gloves- StormR Stryker style( these have held up better than other neoprene brands I've tried)

If I could only take one pair it would be the Frabill FXE Mitts, second would be the Youngstown.

Post what you end up with and how you like them.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:31 AM »
Joe,

My hands don't get cold so I fish a lot with my bare hands and use mittens to warm them up. I haven't really found anything I can fish in, and I have tried about every brand mentioned on this board. So, here are the ones I like best in various categories:

Post what you end up with and how you like them.

Gonna get a pair of the choppers and Frabill FXE gloves. I don’t fish with gloves if I can help it. Yesterday was freaking cold. Hands were wet handling fish every few minutes.....I try to take a good dry towel with me too.

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:38 AM »
I'm primarily a saltwater guy, so I stick with the insulated orange vinyl commercial fishing gloves if its not too cold - cheap, waterproof, and effective, bring a couple of pairs in case one gets wet.  Can't beat chopper-style mitts for colder days.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:44 AM »
Gonna get a pair of the choppers and Frabill FXE gloves. I don’t fish with gloves if I can help it. Yesterday was freaking cold. Hands were wet handling fish every few minutes.....I try to take a good dry towel with me too.

EBS also has the choppers if you can't find them at Reny's.  I was also going to say that something to dry them off is very important. If you are getting the Frabill "Task" gloves, be sure and get the FXE NOT the ones with yellow, big difference in quality IMHO.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:52 AM »
EBS also has the choppers if you can't find them at Reny's.  I was also going to say that something to dry them off is very important. If you are getting the Frabill "Task" gloves, be sure and get the FXE NOT the ones with yellow, big difference in quality IMHO.
Once you put those tip-ups away and seriously get jigging, you may find your hands cold more often.  @) :icefish: :whistle:

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:52 AM »
What do you grease em with?

Same as NewportMe, mink oil, available at the same places you will find the choppers or any reputable shoe store.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:53 AM »
Where can you get the Frabbil gloves ?

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:55 AM »
Where can you get the Frabbil gloves ?

I just ordered some from amazon. $9 cheaper. Dicks has em.

Offline RealBigReel

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2014, 08:15 AM »
I have the the Ice armor mitts and love them.

One of the best things I have found for keeping my hand warm is carrying a couple of dry hand towels and drying my hands off before I put my gloves back on.

Offline ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2014, 08:28 AM »
what Gamefisher said     I use mink oil.  As an aside my cousin and I used to tease my uncle about his chopper mits when we were kids..... now we all wear them

Bruce

Snow Proof. Put on thick & then use a hair dryer to melt it into the leather.
http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Proof-Weatherproofing-Leather-Conditioner/dp/B000HHJI2C
"I got a shotgun, rifle & a 4-wheel drive. A Country Boy can survive."
Hank Williams Jr.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2014, 08:42 AM »
cabellas had the gauntlet mitts, nylon, insulated, leather palm, faux sheepsfur backside to wipe your face. looks like they stopped carrying them this year. with the mitts i like them oversized to wear a thin pair of filson fingerless wool inside so i can remove the mitt and sill have a glove on to work the line. those army barrack places have some nice mitts as well, similar to the chopper mitts

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2014, 08:48 AM »
I really like my Frabill FXE Gauntlet gloves, super warm, 100% waterproof, leather palm for a sticky grip.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2014, 08:50 AM »
Once you put those tip-ups away and seriously get jigging, you may find your hands cold more often.  @) :icefish: :whistle:

I'm always jigging, just use the tip-ups to scout and catch the "biguns" :tipup: ;)

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2014, 09:04 AM »
My mittens with wool liners are 50 yrs, old I use a mixture of bear grease and bees wax.  Have had repairs on my wool liners.

Offline Snowfun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag!!!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2014, 10:23 AM »
http://clamoutdoors.com/store/icearmor/extreme-mitts.html

Never leave home witout mine. Had a pair of gloves first but with wet hands it was brutal getting them on. Might have to look into a set of choppers to try
Feeding birds, one pike at a time...

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2014, 10:33 AM »
Just went to Reny’s and got a pair of deer skin mitts with removable liners plus a couple pairs of wool inserts. We have some really nice sheepskin from our animals. I’m gonna ask my girlfriend to sew liners up from some of that! AND I ordered the Frabill gloves.

For less extreme days, like mid 20’s up, I use my blue clamming gloves, w or w/o liners. can usually handle the fish with them on. They are not great for lower temps and they get damp from sweat or fin poke leaks. Same with any neoprene I’ve tried .....N*@&^%G  at below 20 and blowing.

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2014, 11:31 AM »
I've got a couple pairs of wool fingerless gloves for when I'm jigging, my hands do tend to get cold and they help a lot. Only glove that hasn't interfered

Offline Tilt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2014, 01:27 PM »
I got a pair of the Cabelas Guidewear mittens in the a year and a half ago for $25 on clearance and they are the only modern mitt I've worn that compares to the chopper's.  I'd never pay full price though.  Be careful treating leather with wax based products in the cold as it gets really tacky unless you really get it worked in and buffed out.  Montana pitch blend oil is great stuff and smells real nice. 

Like some guys here my hands almost never get cold though it might be a different story if I handled as much fish as everyone else.  For drying my hands I found the best way is to get one of those generic "Sham-Wow's" and then cut them down into like 16" squares.  They work best when damp and to keep them from freezing I wrap a handwarmer in it.  Nothing dries your hands faster and just throw it in the laundry (optional) once it's too fishy to bear.   

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2014, 02:12 PM »
to keep them from freezing I wrap a handwarmer in it.

I’ll do that! Thanks!!!  :thumbsup:

Maybe in a pocket with some “hot pockets”. I’ve got one of those lighter fluid warmers too.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2014, 02:22 PM »
Cheap dollar store fleece gloves ...cut the finger tips off the thumb , index ,middle fingers...best thing I can suggest is a vest ..keeping your core ware will keep your extremities warm .

HT makes a mitten that great ..and they come off fairly easy if need be .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline muleskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2014, 02:28 PM »
I have a good pair of oversized Cabeilas hunting mittens with wool fingerless gloves underneath. flagg..... get to the trap Neal on the mittens and I can work the line set the hook take off the fish (sometimes) and rebate the trap. best part is slipping on them nice warm mittens when I'm don. 
why yes, I'm not quite right thank you for noticing

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2014, 02:29 PM »
...best thing I can suggest is a vest ..keeping your core ware will keep your extremities warm . .

I’m on that one! GREAT ADVICE. It’s amazing how much warmer your feet and hands are if the rest of your body is well insulated and kept warm.

I hope you guy are taking notes!  The test might come later ;D

THANKS FOR THE GREAT ADVICE YOU GUYS ARE PUTTIG IN HERE!!! GREAT STUFF TO KEEP IN MIND AND USE!  :thumbsup: :bow: :icefish:

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 08, 2014, 04:30 PM »
I've been a big fan of Gore Windstopper fleece gloves for the last 10 years. It's thin, warm and keeps my hands warm when it's wet. There are several brands that make gloves from this material. My favorites are the Mountain Hardware Gravity Gloves and the Outdoor Research Gripper Gloves. The Mountain Hardware gloves have leather palms for durability and the OR gloves have silicone palms for a better grip. If my hands and gloves are going to be wet the OR gloves are better because they don't have any leather which stays wet. For everything else from snowmobiling, skiing, chainsaw work or most other cold weather activities the leather palms make the Mountain Hardware gloves the better choice. Either one will keeps my hands warm in any weather. The OR's fit so good that I can bait a hook with a maggot without removing the gloves.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 08, 2014, 04:39 PM »
I've had good luck with ice armor mitts, and  Frabill FXE task gloves but to be honest I have a muff with a hand warmer pocket, as well as a towel to dry my hands. Once they're warm and dry then you can put the gloves on.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.