Author Topic: Recall of the open water year, and what is to start  (Read 1136 times)

Offline atarnacki

• Team IceShanty Regular
Recall of the open water year, and what is to start
« on: Dec 07, 2014, 06:24 PM »
2014 was an outstanding year for me, I caught my PB bass at 7.5 pounds, my first Blackfish at 7 pounds, my first two salmon at 32 and 28 inches in Ct just a few weeks back. Most importantly I started a new type of fishing, Carp fishing. It is a whole new level of fishing, I have already caught a 32 pound Carp and a 31.5 pound Carp with multiple 20+ pounds Carp. This year I will take what I have learned from carp fishing to the ice and try getting one through the ice. Also, I am really gonna try to focus on Walleye this season, I went out once for them and absolutely hammered them. Now I need more of it. It's good to be back and I can't wait to start posting pictures.

Offline frenchy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • addicted to bass fishing
Re: Recall of the open water year, and what is to start
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2014, 08:26 PM »
Same here... I can't wait for all the googans on Fishing CT to start posting pics of their pile of dead largemouth's on the ice. Good luck on that carp, can't wait to see it happen.
Bass fishing is #1

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2014, 08:58 PM »
Make sure you cut a big hole. The circumference of an 8" auger hole is around 25" and I've caught a handful of carp that had a girth of over 30".

Offline NewGuy123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2014, 10:46 AM »
Im hyped for this year
In the past i have gone ice fishing but not frequently or anything serious
im hoping to seriously get into it   and kill 'um this year.
Any tips for anyone relativity new at this? Or any  good spots i should try out?
im up for almost any kind of fishing

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2014, 10:58 AM »
Being that you're from Farmington wethersfield cove is a good option once that's safe. Great crappie and perch fishing. Also have the chance for a pike, catfish, bowfin, carp or even the occasional striper
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline NewGuy123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2014, 11:02 AM »
Being that you're from Farmington wethersfield cove is a good option once that's safe. Great crappie and perch fishing. Also have the chance for a pike, catfish, bowfin, carp or even the occasional striper

Thanks  i really appreciate it 

Offline JohnnyJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2014, 06:16 PM »
Interesting on targetting carp through the ice. I have seen a couple of fowl hooks through the years but never saw one caught let alone get one through a hole.

Good luck with your quest.
Bite on my line
The man known as JohnS

Offline NewGuy123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:23 PM »
Interesting on targetting carp through the ice. I have seen a couple of fowl hooks through the years but never saw one caught let alone get one through a hole.

Good luck with your quest.

the man who introduced me to ice fishing told me of a story where he once caught a carp while fishing for panfish through a 6 inch hole
apparently his friend who was with him took the time to cut 3 other holes nearby and used a chisel  to cut out the square of ice  so they could get the carp out

Offline atarnacki

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2014, 12:14 AM »
I will take a whole day to target Carp, Carp fishing in Europe has exploded. It's like Bass fishing over here and the European Carp fishing style is so much fun and it can be quite expensive. But I will use those european techniques through the ice. One whole day on a lake I know has em and with 6 lines I will really up my chances

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.