Author Topic: New here.  (Read 733 times)

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
New here.
« on: Dec 07, 2014, 06:23 PM »
Hey all,
I live in north Idaho and am looking at getting back into ice fishing, I used to go a lot with my grandpa when I was younger. We fished Spirit Lake all the time for blue backs.  I have a lot of questions but I'll just start out with a few.
What size of rod and what action do I need for blue backs? What size and action for panfish? How bout lake trout on priest?
Thanks

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New here.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2014, 08:49 PM »
Welcome to the site, I think you'll probably get as many responses to your rod question as there are people on the forum lol.  Depends on the fisherman I suppose.

Ice fishing poles are a little different than open water in how they are classified.  One company might have a light action that has less backbone then another companies medium weight, I think it's all relative to who classifies it.  I usually go on the rod bend more than what they put for the action.  This is how I classify them I'm sure others have different methods.  Ultralight - Rod tip touches grip, hardly any backbone, Light - Rod tip comes about 5" or so from grip, very little backbone but it is present, Medium - Rod tip comes about 1/3 the way of full bend, backbone is decently heavy good for hooksets not great on light bites, Medium Light - Same as medium but slightly more tip bend, Medium Heavy - More backbone but not enough to effect the movement of the tip, Heavy - Very little tip movement maybe 2" at most, backbone is very sturdy and hard to push with your thumb down unless very close to the tip.

Each action has it's pros and cons.  Some like heavier, some like lighter, when I started panfishing I exclusively used Ultralights because it was fun to play the fish with the rod bend now I prefer Medium Light or Medium.

For kokanee I fish Medium heavy spinning rods measuring around 28" or 30", panfish I usually go Medium light 24" if i'm in the shanty and 30" if I am free fishing, i've started making some rods around 36-40" and I'm starting to like those too.  I would go 4lb mono or braid for kokanee, some like braid i'm not a huge fan but it is more sensitive.  For priest lake trout I would go with a heavy rod or maybe a thicker Medium Heavy with 8-10 lb mono.  I prefer clear over other colors, I really like the straight line reels with Trilene XL.

Hope this helps i'm sure you'll get more responses in no time.

Offline elkhuntinfool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2014, 10:42 PM »
Welcome to the Boards. I wish I could help answer your questions I dont fish much for kokanee I usaully target pike and perch.

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2014, 12:38 AM »
If you call fins&feathers tackle shop in cda they can set you up with the right gear for ice fishing and if they don't have the right gear go to black sheep they have some of the same gear
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2014, 12:40 AM »
welcome aboard :)

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2014, 08:06 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2014, 08:30 AM »
If you want to you can get a hold of me with a pm I wouldn't mind joining you for ice fishing
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline adksguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2014, 08:33 AM »
Welcome  ;D
good ice, good buds, and good times that's what it's all about!!

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2014, 03:02 PM »
Welcome back to ice fishing. Grandpa must be a good man to get you started initially. As for the rod question, fowl language answered it well. The only thing I might add is look into the jaw jacker for lakers.

sihlms391

« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2014, 08:33 PM »
welcome.  a flasher fish finder works really well to find those kokanee

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2014, 08:45 PM »
Welcome to the shanty CMS  @) These guys will have you all hooked up
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline icehouse trail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2014, 09:38 PM »
New to this site as well. Just moved to the boise area last year, from east idaho. Mostly fished palisades, always for trout. Spent a few days last jan. and feb. at cascade and horsethief. Got into to fish most days on cascade, almost always trout. At cascade I caught some small fingerling perch. I have never fished for panfish much, was wondering if anyone had some info. on what i could do to broaden my chances at catching multiple species now that i'm in an area that presents the opportunity? I have not much used jigs. Read a lot about the use of waxies and such grubs but not sure what the presentation or rigging should be? ???

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2014, 09:55 PM »
Welcome to Iceshanty :      CMS

icehouse trail

Most folks are friendly and will help with a few kind words of encouragement.

From the sign-in page,  look around for the various species for much info on techniques, lures & jigs, baits, sizes, well, you'll see.

Offline icehouse trail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2014, 11:46 PM »
Will do thank you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.