Author Topic: Talkeetna area  (Read 2489 times)

Offline mntransplant

• Team IceShanty Regular
Talkeetna area
« on: Dec 07, 2014, 04:44 AM »
Just a quick report from today. A friend and I fished Y lake and Christianson lake today with mediocre success. Y lake from 1130-330 in about 25' of water, using shrimp and jigs. Caught 4 rainbows, 1 decent size. Fished Christianson from about 415 till 825, 30' of water. Caught another 6 or so. My buddy hooked a beast that stripped his line for a short bit then snapped the line. Not sure if they have pike in there or not but that fish took off like a rocket. Maybe just a big rainbow, I don't know. After that the action went dead so we moved location. Fish seemed to be all over the vex, but would not even nibble on the shrimp.

Hit sheep creek lodge in the way home. Great food and great company too.!

James

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Talkeetna area
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2014, 03:36 PM »
Good report. Didn't think you could use bait on x-y lakes.

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2014, 08:37 PM »
X lake is CNR only, and closed to all fishing during winter, and is "fly fishing" only single hook artificial lure.
Y lake has no special restrictions and is open to bait.
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2014, 10:49 PM »
Good to know

Offline Fishgod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2014, 04:23 PM »
X lake is CNR only, and closed to all fishing during winter, and is "fly fishing" only single hook artificial lure.
Y lake has no special restrictions and is open to bait.

It's not fly fishing only. You just can't use bait.
Why do I always leave shrimp in my pocket from last week?

Offline JediMasterSalmonSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2014, 05:34 PM »
ADF&G Regulation - for clarity

Unit 2 Exceptions - Page 28

X Lake (near Talkeetna)
• Open season is May 1–October 31. X Lake is closed to all fishing November 1–April 30.
• NO RETENTION OF RAINBOW TROUT ALLOWED.
• Only one unbaited, single-hook, artificial lure is allowed.

Y Lake falls under General Seasons and Limits

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2014, 12:02 AM »
It's not fly fishing only. You just can't use bait.

That's why added the " artificial single hook". I say " fly fishing" only because that is what x lake and long lake ( KB complex) was designated for. At the long lake parking lot the sign says " fly fishing only" lol, that is all I'm saying. I've even had guys chastise me for using single hook spinners and spoons on that lake haha, " hey you know....it clearly states you can only use flies here". Talk about literal. Anyway, I meant that as more of a joke than a serious fact. :)
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline Fishgod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2014, 02:42 PM »
That's why added the " artificial single hook". I say " fly fishing" only because that is what x lake and long lake ( KB complex) was designated for. At the long lake parking lot the sign says " fly fishing only" lol, that is all I'm saying. I've even had guys chastise me for using single hook spinners and spoons on that lake haha, " hey you know....it clearly states you can only use flies here". Talk about literal. Anyway, I meant that as more of a joke than a serious fact. :)

No problem, all is good. The "fly fishing only" sign should be taken down if it's still at Long Lake. That's a completely false regulation sign that is only confusing the public. It is not a designated "fly fishing only" waters. Just like X Lake, Long Lake is one unbaited, single-hook artificial lure, which as you know entails single-hook spinners, spoons, jigs, plastics, flies, plugs etc. Anything with a single-hook except bait. Thanks for the clarification.
Why do I always leave shrimp in my pocket from last week?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.