Author Topic: Merritt Fishing Report  (Read 5735 times)

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Merritt Fishing Report
« on: Dec 06, 2014, 02:14 PM »
I am hesitant to put this out but here goes. A small number of anglers from the North Platte area have made a few recent day trips to the area, and fishing towards the back of Boardman Creek. The good news is they have had good fishing for crappies up to a pound along with some medium sized perch. A different angler reported a 40" Pike taken on a tip-up. The bad news is they are fishing on (IMO) very marginal ice they reported as 3-5 inches thick. This (again my opinion) would be iffy with fresh clear ice. Recent weather would have me believe that any local ice conditions would be suspect at best.
 I enjoy catching a nice bunch of panfish as much as the next guy, but I personally will not be going out until ice conditions improve. Once that happens I look for some very good fishing on Merritt based on last summers results and early ice fishing reports I have so far.

Offline part_timer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Merritt Fishing Report
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2014, 06:37 PM »
Thank you for the update! I am in agreement with you on the ice conditions.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2014, 07:16 PM »
6" give or take and solid.  Edges were good.  Yesterday; crappie up to 12", bluegill to 8.5", one perch, one LMB at 14".  Slower this morning, couple of crappie and some bluegill.  Drilled quite a bit and only two holes produced.  Rookie to the lake though and to sandy ice, didn't stay out of it and it ate my auger blades.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2014, 01:17 PM »
Good to hear you had some success out there fishslap.  I appreciate both the fishing and conditions report.  I'm still waiting for some better conditions before venturing out, but then I'm pretty conservative on ice safety.  Others have ventured out recently on thinner ice closer to Beeds Landing than you fished.  They had good success but were fishing and moving on thinner ice than you were on.  Pretty risky IMO.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2014, 09:21 AM »
A few groups are braving marginal ice conditions and fishing in Boardman Creek out of the Boardman access and Beeds landing. Latest report from anglers on the ice this morning said the bite was slower than it had been (not surprising with windy overcast morning here) and "shakey" ice conditions after the last several warm days. Next weeks forecast has lows in the teens and highs not much above freezing that should help stabilize ice conditions. Due caution is advised if you decide to venture out.   I've had the ice tackle on the shelves for some time now.  I think I'm finally ready to dig out my personal gear to head out next week.

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2014, 01:44 PM »
A few groups are braving marginal ice conditions and fishing in Boardman Creek out of the Boardman access and Beeds landing. Latest report from anglers on the ice this morning said the bite was slower than it had been (not surprising with windy overcast morning here) and "shakey" ice conditions after the last several warm days. Next weeks forecast has lows in the teens and highs not much above freezing that should help stabilize ice conditions. Due caution is advised if you decide to venture out.   I've had the ice tackle on the shelves for some time now.  I think I'm finally ready to dig out my personal gear to head out next week.
Did you end up looking into getting some Brantner Jigs? Looks like they are still really really backed up on orders. I got my order shortly after speaking to you about them and the craftsmanship is amazing, they performed great on one of my trips also!!

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2014, 01:46 PM »
The snake arm needs to get froze up, cant wait to chase some eyes, crappie and perch back there!!!

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:22 AM »
Did you end up looking into getting some Brantner Jigs? Looks like they are still really really backed up on orders. I got my order shortly after speaking to you about them and the craftsmanship is amazing, they performed great on one of my trips also!!

I looked them over on the web site and have to agree they are premium quality all the way.  Great variety of shapes and sizes with amazing details.  Due to our rather late start on the ice season I think I'll hold off on stocking them this year but will keep them in mind for the future.  Thanks for the referral on them.  They are everything you described them as.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:25 AM »
At Merritt it is currently about 25* with a gusty north west wind. There is a 1/4" of frozen rain on the pavement with about 2" of snow where the wind hasn't blown it off. By tomorrow morning we should start seeing lows in the lower to mid teens and highs no more than the middle 30's thru Saturday. If we don't get a whole bunch of snow on top of the existing ice in Boardman Creek I think we will find fishable ice conditions by the weekend. Several parties have been fishing on (IMO) marginal ice in the Boardman since around Thanksgiving. Lots of bluegills that required some sorting but fast action in the back of the creek near the Boardman Springs camp area along with some keeper crappies. I stopped by Saturday to find 4 vehicles of local anglers fishing near the mouth of the bay southeast of the parking lot. In the 5 minutes I observed them they took a nice crappie and a northern that looked to go something over 30". Ice near the parking lot was reported around 5" thick but somewhat degraded from the warm weather.

Other anglers have been fishing even less ice nearer Beeds Landing and catching limits of crappies up to a pound with a few perch mixed in. They also texted me a picture of a pretty nice catfish. These guys were fishing on very marginal ice. Once again, with a little help from the weather I think we could finally see some ice conditions I would be comfortable with.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:23 AM »
Thanks for the update John, would like to get up there in the next couple weeks. Possibly this weekend if there is ice...

Offline Showdown56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice BABY!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:55 AM »
Once again, with a little help from the weather I think we could finally see some ice conditions I would be comfortable with.

I've been ice fishing... since "last century" and can count on one hand where I found "ice conditions I would be comfortable with".
 ;D

Understand your point, I'm with you 100%. 

No one will EVER have to contact my family because I became "to comfortable" with the ice.

H-F-E
The OFFICIAL NEBRASKA ICE MAP 
ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH YOUR REPORTS!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1EzoZhQjAcZAvY9qiApAy-g8xwQZAIb6q&ll=41.356402103308504%2C-102.02912595312499&z=7

Practicing Selective Harvest provides me a few of the abundant fish for a meal while providing YOU a rare fish to catch!

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2014, 02:14 AM »
I would honestly have to say i become far too comfortable with conditions at times, even fallen through a couple times (nothing deep), usually getting off the ice in neck deep or less water. Been at icefishing since 2000 or so and quite often go alone, Im also honest enough to say that i didnt have a spud bar or ice picks until this year, still dont have a floating suit tho. Ive found that i can generally pick through what i think is ok or not but do find myself quite courageous at times, so much that ive shoved a 20ft 2x12 out on a sandpit to fish off of, idiotic i know...... As i become older i find myself quite a bit more cautious, especially after becoming a dad, the lil boy needs a Pa to play catch with in a couple years and I had better be there to do it!!

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:00 AM »
There are old ice fishermen and there are bold ice fishermen, but not many old & bold ice fishermen.  Stay safe and stay on the dry side.

Offline wyopro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:51 AM »
What is the word on the Snake arm?  Is that thing froze/going to be froze up soon?

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:13 AM »
I would honestly have to say i become far too comfortable with conditions at times, even fallen through a couple times (nothing deep), usually getting off the ice in neck deep or less water. Been at icefishing since 2000 or so and quite often go alone, Im also honest enough to say that i didnt have a spud bar or ice picks until this year, still dont have a floating suit tho. Ive found that i can generally pick through what i think is ok or not but do find myself quite courageous at times, so much that ive shoved a 20ft 2x12 out on a sandpit to fish off of, idiotic i know...... As i become older i find myself quite a bit more cautious, especially after becoming a dad, the lil boy needs a Pa to play catch with in a couple years and I had better be there to do it!!

It only gets better or worse depending on how you look at it .
Teach your son the art of the ice too , but safety first ..

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:54 AM »
What is the word on the Snake arm?  Is that thing froze/going to be froze up soon?

The Boardman pretty much always firms up before the Snake.  The next few nights should help shore up the marginal conditions we have seen in Boardman Creek so far this year.  Given that the Snake typically freezes after Boardman Creek, I would hold off on the Snake Arm for now.  Also the early ice bite is usually better on Boardman Creek and then tapers off towards mid-season.  The bite in the Snake usually starts picking up in mid season and keeps improving towards late ice while the Boardman late ice bite, especially toward the back, can be slower and generally not as good as the late ice Snake bite.

Offline wyopro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2014, 01:13 PM »
Thank you Mr. Merritt, always good, helpful advice.

Offline perch#er

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:51 PM »
How much snow did merit get thinkin of heading up that way

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:14 AM »
How much snow did merit get thinkin of heading up that way

When? Might want to check road conditions before departing.

50 miles SW of Merritt has 5-6" of snow. Drifts up to 4 feet.  Hwy 97 is still a sheet of ice. Don't know about 83. Top speed on even the gravel roads is 35 mph. Probably the same with Brownlee cut across. Several serious accidents in this area. Wouldn't advise traveling until roads see some sun.

dc   

Offline perch#er

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:53 AM »
Thanx for the info probably try to head that way this weekend

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:19 AM »
Even though plows were back and forth on Hwy. 97 in front of the store yesterday road conditions are still not all that great.  I'd say at least 9o% ice covered with little reason to think the weather will allow improvement.  What  light traffic there is is moving slowly...35-40 mph.  Hopefully some traffic will improve driving conditions.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:33 PM »
Thanx for the info probably try to head that way this weekend

Road conditions should improve considerably by then.   

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:35 PM »
Thank god its gotten cold again.  Hope most of the snow blew off the ice.  It was getting just a little cruddy.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline jhankla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2014, 04:58 PM »
Has anyone been out on the boardman this week since the cold weather? Have ice conditions improved?

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:48 PM »
Maybe John can tell us.  Left it last sat. Was still 5" best guess.  We've had cold temps this week but I have no idea how much snow is on top.   Personally,  I'm going to try and fish.  Though I may go to a private lake.  Merrit is my backup plan.  I think the ice will be alright?  But mind you I've only lost out on a 30 min drive.  For what its worth

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:48 AM »
Has anyone been out on the boardman this week since the cold weather? Have ice conditions improved?

Fished it 12-17. 3-6 inches of ice where we were at but areas of skim ice nearby. 30% snow coverage. Some open water areas filled with snow and crusted on top. Those spots will be very dangerous until it freezes through the slush underneath. Use all safety precautions.

V. Refuge lakes capped but 2" or less ice.

Highways are in much better condition at this time. Still ice on some county roads.

dc 

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2014, 11:11 AM »
A report this morning said there was 6" of ice near Beeds Landing. The 2" on top are poor with 4" of new ice below. The rain/snow/wind with the last front may have caused an inconsistent refreeze...due caution is advised. The back of Boardman Creek near the Boardman Springs campground access had about 5" of ice with iffy edges prior to the last cold snap. This has likely improved somewhat with the colder temps but caution is still advised.

Those fishing near Beeds are reporting good catches of crappies up to 3/4 pound with some perch and catfish mixed in. Bluegills, crappies and northern pike are being taken in the back of the creek.

Update: Some thin ice is reported along the steep sides (opposite boat ramp and campgrounds) in Boardman Creek. No issues reported so far on the access sides. A guys lab went through yesterday. The dog got out ok. A spud bar should show you where you ought not go. Ice from Beeds ramp towards the middle was reported as good (6-7" mostly new). Anglers today reported limits of 1/2-3/4# crappies with a few cleaner perch mixed in. Those fish are holding in 35 FOW.

Offline thorson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2014, 05:28 PM »
Percher,
 any ice on the hershey lakes today
Life is short, fish hard!

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2014, 04:38 PM »
  I made my first short foray onto hardwater this afternoon.  As I hit the water about 11AM the "morning shift " was just about finishing up limits of 1/2-3/4 pound crappies with the odd perch mixed in.  They said today was the slowest of the last three.  I only managed 4 crappies and a perch by 2:30 PM.  My Vex showed me a few other lookers that I could not trigger.  The strikes I did get were light but detectable on my spring bobber. The fish I caught were taking minnows on a tungsten jig in 35-36 FOW which pretty much makes everything a keeper.  There were 6 or 7 other vehicles in Beeds parking lot.  Most were catching a few fish but no one said fishing was fast.  Still, it was great to get out and dry a few off.

The ice walking out of Beeds was about 6-7".  By mid-afternoon there was some water puddeling on top but not a whole lot of deterioration.  There appeared to be some very thin ice and even some open water next to the steep bank across and back from the the ramp (opposite side of the ramp).  While that spot was visible today, with some snow in the forecast it could sneak up on someone later on.  Stay near the channel drops out from the shore and you should be ok.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2014, 05:20 PM »
Heck ya, thanks John!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.