Author Topic: Help! Marcum Lx-3tc troubleshooting.  (Read 5186 times)

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
Help! Marcum Lx-3tc troubleshooting.
« on: Dec 05, 2014, 11:15 PM »
Towards the end of last season my lx-3tc started acting up, the display would go solid red across the entire depth range. It got sidelined and forgotten about until now, when ice fishing is starting up. with it sitting in the kitchen here, I fire it up within 10 to 20 seconds the screen goes solid red. However if I unplug the transducer, it runs as I would expect it to for a while, then seems to go into like a simulator mode, where you can crystal clearly see hard bottom at the 10 ft mark, and a jig being jigged at about 8 ft, it does that for a while then goes black although the spinner continues to spin. Any idea whats going on  here, bad head unit, bad ducer? Please help!
FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Help! Marcum Lx-3tc troubleshooting.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2014, 07:22 AM »
Have u got a buddy with one you could try his ducer? The lx3tc transducers are cheaper then the dual beam ones at least . How is your battery?
Fishin red lines

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2014, 07:24 AM »
It's usually a bad battery when they start acting weird. If you've got a multimeter, some wire and a 12 volt light bulb, you can test it. Check the voltage without the bulb wired in, it should be over 12. Connect the bulb and check the voltage again, it shouldn't drop very much at all. If it's 12 or less with no load, charge it up then check it again. If it drops to 10 or so with the bulb wired in, you've got a bad cell in the battery and need a new one. Any 12 volt battery will work, so if you've got a trolling motor battery you can hook it up to that and see if it still does the same thing if you can't get your hands on a multimeter.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2014, 08:36 PM »
I've not messed with the batteries but I have charged and tried both, I have two, with the same results, I want to try a different ducer but don't know anyone with one, may have to call Marcum and see what they say.
FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2014, 04:30 PM »
I've not messed with the batteries but I have charged and tried both, I have two, with the same results, I want to try a different ducer but don't know anyone with one, may have to call Marcum and see what they say.

The lx-3's had a run of bad motors. They do the solid line thing when they crap out. Call marcum.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2014, 04:59 PM »
The lx-3's had a run of bad motors. They do the solid line thing when they crap out. Call marcum.

+1 on this. Also, ask to speak with one of the techs.  ;)

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2014, 09:19 PM »
Aha, theres what I was looking for, a solid lead! Will be in touch with Marcum at my earliest convenience, Thanks guys.
FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2014, 09:19 PM »
A call to marcum should have it sorted out. I'd guess transducer since it seems to work fine in simulation mode. If it was the motor it would just be solid red even in simulation mode.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2014, 12:50 PM »
another symptom of the motor going out is the whole display including bottom/ fish and jig will  jump or rock back and forth.thats the motor slowing down and speeding up.

Offline taubros

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2014, 01:02 AM »
Towards the end of last season my lx-3tc started acting up, the display would go solid red across the entire depth range. It got sidelined and forgotten about until now, when ice fishing is starting up. with it sitting in the kitchen here, I fire it up within 10 to 20 seconds the screen goes solid red. However if I unplug the transducer, it runs as I would expect it to for a while, then seems to go into like a simulator mode, where you can crystal clearly see hard bottom at the 10 ft mark, and a jig being jigged at about 8 ft, it does that for a while then goes black although the spinner continues to spin. Any idea whats going on  here, bad head unit, bad ducer? Please help!

That is why i sold both of my 1 season used lx3tc. Marcum took care of the motor issues but I don't have time for a second service. I own a lx7 and a vexilar flx28 now will see how the flx28 do.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2014, 10:04 AM »
these bad runs of motors in 3's and 5's is really stupid. 

Offline jbhandjr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:25 PM »
I'm close to pulling the trigger on an lx3 but stories like this seem to happen frequently.  Thoughts?  I can get the lx3 on amazon for 379 so it beats the similarly featured vex fl18 but the quality is of concern.  Let me know if these issues have been worked out so I can get my first flasher!

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2014, 05:14 PM »
I tried calling yesterday and left a message, haven't heard back. Will send them an email tonight and try again tomorrow. I actually had an issue that looking back I'm sure was the spinner motor right out of the box when I purchased it. They replaced the head unit at no cost, and customer service was good in my opinion. But now that it started misbehaving again a little over half way through its third season, I must say I'm disappointed in it. Not saying Marcum is poor brand, however I may step lightly around the lx-3s. Honestly the way I fish I could probably go down to something like the vx-1, I rarely use the zoom function. This is my first flasher, and I was dead set on buying Marcum. I did a lot of research before purchasing as well, however if I end up buying a new flasher over this issue, I will be looking very hard at the Vexes and Birds.   P.S. - I haven't dropped, mishandled, or in any way abused my flasher either.
FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2014, 09:02 AM »
Once fixed sell and don't look back, I have a older lx3tc that's been great, so I bought another, 5 motors later I sold it with warranty still on it, I will never buy another marcum product, also went through 3 showdown dual beams, all failed, and my cousins troller is dead!  Worst product I've seen in all my life!  Bought another vexilar yesterday to add to the fleet, a fl18 gens, my fl20 is in its 10th season without a issue!
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2014, 06:16 PM »
Well, I spoke with Marcum, they are having me send it to them, Its a flat rate 80 dollars to have it repaired. The guy I spoke did the the symptoms were strange. I guess I'll go that route, lots cheaper than buying new.
FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:46 AM »
Once fixed sell and don't look back, I have a older lx3tc that's been great, so I bought another, 5 motors later I sold it with warranty still on it, I will never buy another marcum product, also went through 3 showdown dual beams, all failed, and my cousins troller is dead!  Worst product I've seen in all my life!  Bought another vexilar yesterday to add to the fleet, a fl18 gens, my fl20 is in its 10th season without a issue!
had a showdown 5.6 that wouldn't power up. bought a preformance pack for my troller 2.0 . had to send it back too! marcums going downhill fast!

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:27 AM »
had a showdown 5.6 that wouldn't power up. bought a preformance pack for my troller 2.0 . had to send it back too! marcums going downhill fast!
Yep, 8 failed units for me is enough, and a couple new lx5 failures  for a buddy of mine and a dead showdown for my cousin, worst made expensive product of all time.  I live right beside Lake Winnipeg and fish it a few times a week, the new marcums don't hold up, I have a older one and its great but since rapala bought them they've gone to crap, sorry marcum guys
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.