The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Beginner questions  (Read 4365 times)

Offline MDI

• IceShanty Rookie
Beginner questions
« on: Dec 05, 2014, 08:18 PM »
We are not an ice fishing family but I am hoping to get some advice on durable but reasonably priced ice fishing gear to consider introducing ice fishing to three of my kids, ages 9-17, and hubby this winter. I assume Eagle Lake and Long Pond on Mount Desert Island might be the areas of most interest and that tip ups likely best suit my kid's attention spans. They have not expressed an interest in ice fishing but I would like to wean the boys off video games and encourage more outdoor activity this winter. Currently we have an otter sled and that is it for actual ice fishing gear. Hubby takes the kids fishing with him almost exclusively on long pond other times of the year. I am the non-fisher, just trying to come up with some decent Christmas ideas while avoiding the eye rolling, I hope. Is the type of tip up dictated by the fish in the area? Are there any particular tips up to avoid for use on MDI? Any reliable and reasonably priced hand auger recommendations and what size is most practical? Hook size? Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Offline weskeagclouser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.
Re: Beginner questions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2014, 01:39 AM »
I would think any tip-up would be fine for MDI. I prefer Jack Traps as they're made in Maine and nicely finished. I'd like to think that they'll outlast me. Truth be told, most traps are going to fish about the same if they're set up properly.
As for augers, in my opinion it pays to get a Nils. Using a crappy hand auger can turn someone away from ice fishing quicker than anything else in my opinion. I recommend the 8" because it's easier to keep the hole open from blowing snow and ice, but I've fished from 6" holes and done fine before.
If you're really stumped, consider a gift card to somewhere like Kittery Trading Post or someone else that sells gear. Part of the fun is picking what "your" flag color or brand of trap will be.
Hope this helps!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2014, 02:43 AM »
Welcome to Ice Shanty MDI, could you please be so kind as to update your profile with your location. This helps others when answering your questions. The Jack Trap style of tipups are probably better for your area given snow fall totals and vehicle traffic on the ice. When tripped the flag will be easier to see versus some other styles. There is a company called HT Enterprises makes various ice fishing equipment that is reasonably priced. Remember you will need safety picks and ice creepers for each family member. Look through You Tube for ice safety videos. A spud/ice chisel is also another safety tool to check ice thickness and can be used to cut holes in the ice early in the season.
If you live with in a reasonable drive of Auburn,ME. go and visit the folks at Dag's bait shop very knowledgeable and will be able to answer your questions and suggest gear. One last idea if you can try and go out with another Ice Shanty member from your area and ask them questions about gear. I would start slow one tipup per person same with rod it is easy to spend a lot of money quickly and as you know young persons interests change quickly.
Enjoy this website and have a safe and fun season out on the ice.
Steve

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2014, 05:30 AM »
I’ve got a couple jig rods w/reels I can give ya. and a couple older tip-ups you can have. You’ll have to reline the rods and put new leaders on the tip-ups. I live in Hancock.

I was told at Marden’s the other day they will be getting a bunch of ice fishing gear soon. They usually have some decent stuff, traps and such.

You might try PMing Grumpy on this site. His dad is "Rat’s clams” and they sell live bait too. He knows the Island really well. PM me if you are interested in that gear and (MAYBE  ;D )  I’ll tell a few spots I’d try. I don’t fish down that way much anymore.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2014, 07:22 AM »
Need to keep the kids warm or they will hate it,  goes for adults  too!  So make sure the kids have decent gear, also extra gloves, they will get wet!  Keep an eye on craiglist,  it's not uncommon to see someone selling a bunch of gear.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2014, 07:52 AM »
First off, let me say how commendable the reasoning for your post is!  Those of us with kids fight the whole electronics issue daily unfortunately and your rationale to deal with is spot on!  Couple thoughts I would share:

See if there is a family that you or your kids are friendly with that already ice fish and tag along with them on an outing or two, one to cut the learning curve down and secondly to help entertain your kids between flags.  Half the fun is playing on the ice, roasting hot dogs, etc.

Check out the State stocking report and pick a water to up your chances for success, you have several waters heavily stocked with brook trout, easy to catch and plentiful.  You only need a couple feet of water so you can get up against a leeward shore from the wind and be very comfortable without buying a shack until you know you enjoy.  A blue tarp and shore fire are cheap and fun too do!

Buy one good working set of traps and a couple cheap jig rods and share.  Nothing is more frustrating for a kid than a flag that doesn't go up because of malfunctions, check them often as a family, learn together!   Mardens often has smooth working traps cheap, 40 ups work well and are cheap.  Expand your arsenal if interest dictates.

Buy / make a good chisel first, function and safety all in one, upgrade to a good hand auger when ready, my $100 fin bore works just as good as these guys $200 nils.

Small hooks, small bait, light line.

Good luck!  My family Sunday's on the ice are what get me through the week!   :tipup:

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2014, 08:01 AM »
If you want durable and inexpensive traps than I would suggest getting the HT polar tip-ups. They are solid, easy to set up, compact, and almost unbreakable. Their one pitfall is the short flag making them hard to see across a lake like Eagle or Long pond. which won't matter much if the traps are placed close together like shoreline fishing for brookies. MDI has some fabulous brookie ponds, Bubble being my favorite. If you are new to ice fishing than I would suggest saving the togue and salmon waters for next season.

The second thing you are going to need is a quality chisel. Nils, Jiffy, Eskimo, and Frabill all make a good chisel with Frabill being the best value.

Third would be a quality hand auger. do not buy the 50 dollar hand augers, your better off with a good chisel. If your going to buy a hand auger Nils, Stikemaster lazer, Eskimo silvertip, HT arctic express. The Nils and Stikemaster will be the easiest to find replacement blades for.

Fourthly a plastic tote sled makes moving gear around easier. Once you have traps, a big bait bucket, and a hole making device it becomes a lot to carry, that's when the sled comes in. Shappel jet sleds are the best value for hand pulling sleds. A Jet sled 1 one is the perfect size for someone without a power auger.

Also gonna need ice line backing, swivels, leaders, hooks, sounders, skimmer, bait bucket, bait net, handwarmers, safety picks, throw rope, whistle etc.

For about $500-$600 you could set up three kids really well for their 1st, and 2nd seasons. If there isn't enough money to outfit all kids with five traps than two traps and a cheap jig rod will keep each kid equally occupied.

If you have any product or technical questions feel free to call us.

-Dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2014, 08:20 AM »
Before you invest a lot of $ take them to a local derby to see all the fun everyone is having that May got them hooked.       It will be the best thing they ever get into.

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2014, 08:30 AM »
I've seen some kids derbies that will loan kids traps for the day, also drill holes.  You may not need 5 traps per kid.  Depending on the kids age that can be alot of work tending all those  traps.   

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2014, 08:36 AM »
Not sure what Maine has, but here in Ct. the state has a CARE  Program. Ct. Aquatic Resources Education, Taught in schools and followed up by volunteers on fresh water and the ice. You may want to try an option like that to see if it is for you before making an investment in a lot of gear. A trip to a local bait and tackle shop can answer a lot of questions as well. For beginners you can't knock a 40 up tip up. They are cost effective with decent quality and a reliable trigger. Good luck on your quest and have fun.

Offline Grumpy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2014, 10:23 AM »
     Great to hear you are looking for alternatives to the tech toys and electronic brain drains!    Though a word of caution,  sometimes mother nature doesn't have the ' bling' of a beeping, color flashing video game... then again, sometimes she does!
      The ponds you mentioned certainly have some good fishing, but can also be very slow.  An alternative would be to target some of the faster action ponds in the area for perch pickerel and bass! These places tend to freeze earlier, and at times wont allow a party to even get all the lines set as flags start flying fast and furious!
      Many times it's not the destination, but the journey, type of thing. The beauty of the winter landscape is incredible.  Learning how to recreate outdoors in the winter is actually a valuable  skill that will serve anyone well! 
      Even if you yourself don't fish, a mid trip visit from mom, with some snacks or hot chocolate  could be a great way to support the outing !
    We won't be having the full bait shop this season,  though i will have shiners and emeralds available locally.
    If you or your family have any questions about local conditions (or anything fishing related really) feel free to shoot me a pm
  Good luck!

P.s.  Mardens ice fishing gear  is not bad really.
        If your husband doesn't have an ice chisel, or even the older kids, that is a must have.  As said, for use making holes, and checking the ice conditions .
    Less expensive chisels will work, but i highly recommend the Jiffy Mille Lacs *Deluxe model.  Its around $100 but cuts incredibly well.  The other less expensive jiffys  that look similar, are not what you want.    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/jiffy-mille-lacs-deluxe-ice-chisel?a=242760&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=43-16614971-2&pm2d=CSE-SPG-28-SHOPPING&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=shopping&utm_campaign=CI
(Willey's in ellsworth usually has them )
   Holes can be made easily through even a foot of ice, and after the kids chopping 3, 4, or 5 holes apiece, they should sleep pretty well later!  ;D

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2014, 11:15 AM »

Holes can be made easily through even a foot of ice, and after the kids chopping 3, 4, or 5 holes apiece, they should sleep pretty well later!  ;D

Remember to put a loop of rope through the upper end of the ice chisel and make sure that every user loops it around their wrist while using it.  Most of us learned the hard way that if this is not done, the ice chisel flies out or your hand as soon as it breaks through the ice when finishing up cutting the hole. Not a happy ending to the trip!
     Somes Pond and Seal Cove Pond would have faster fishing for warmwater species. Good luck!

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2014, 03:24 PM »
Go to Marden's in Ellsworth or Brewer and they will have some stuff inexpensive soon. No need investing a bunch of monies either. I'm sure someone on here may offer your family a trip out to see what it is like. If they like it check out craigslist as well. Kids don't care what kind of trap it is, if there is a flag in the air and a fish on the other end. If you were down our way I would give you a few cheapy traps to try it, or come out with us. Kids and ice fishing is a lot of work, but 2x as much fun. Happy Holidays to you and your family.
http://www.sebagobait.com/
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:
Mon-Thurs 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Fri 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Weekends starting at 5:00 am during ice fishing season (Jan 1, 2019)

THE HOME OF FREE AUGER BLADE SHARPENING

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2014, 03:45 PM »
Watch through the winter too, if you only buy a few traps, there are some kids derby's that give the kids a free trap when they enter!

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2014, 04:16 PM »
Need to keep the kids warm or they will hate it,  goes for adults  too!  So make sure the kids have decent gear, also extra gloves, they will get wet!  Keep an eye on craiglist,  it's not uncommon to see someone selling a bunch of gear.

Two of the best investments for ice fishing are (1) very warm boots with felt liners or thinsulate liners -- the type that can be removed and dried after a day on the ice, and (2) one piece lined snowmobile suit, or 2 separate pieces that will be a very warm outer layer. Also, the cowhide mitts with wool liners are very warm, although I like to take them off and wear gloves as long as the fingers are warm.

Offline dvn4flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2014, 05:33 PM »
It looks like you have some great advice.  I second the 40 ups for an inexpensive quality trap, I'm buying my 6 year old a set of five for xmass myself.  Here's the link
http://www.40uptackleco.com/

Have fun

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2014, 02:11 AM »
Buy each kid one trap and enough for the hubby for 5 total, and one cheap jig pole each. That way hubby can solo or at least keep the traps in order. Buy a good set for the long haul or buy them at a yardsale for $.50-1.00 each. The traps are the important part, pre-rigged if you can. All the other stuff you can find used, hand or gas auger, sled, spud bar(chisel), minnow bucket, a chair or bucket seat for each kid, and if you can a portable tent. Kids get cold quick and if the fish arent on, even quicker as they arent running around. You can cheap out for under $100 and at least re-sell it if they dont like it. If you are around Limerick, Ill give you traps from yardsales, nothing fancy and much used, but they will do the trick.
The tournaments are a good idea, lots of action. 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2014, 05:52 AM »
Go to Marden's in Ellsworth or Brewer and they will have some stuff inexpensive soon. No need investing a bunch of monies either. I'm sure someone on here may offer your family a trip out to see what it is like. If they like it check out craigslist as well. Kids don't care what kind of trap it is, if there is a flag in the air and a fish on the other end. If you were down our way I would give you a few cheapy traps to try it, or come out with us. Kids and ice fishing is a lot of work, but 2x as much fun. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

I would be happy to take your troop out when we get some good ice. There are some places with good fast action nearby. Like I said. I’ve got couple jig rods and traps you can have. The rods and reels are good ones. The traps are fair to very good, thnk I have three. A trap is just a a couple sticks with a spool of line and flag.  Depends how fancy ya wanna get is all. They all work. Then figure out how much everyone is into it.

Maybe I can get Grumpy to come along and we’ll put you on some fish :tipup: :icefish:

Like Salty said, WARM is KEY! So is some good food the kids like!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline MDI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2014, 09:59 AM »
Thank you everyone for the replies. I will be fishing through them for a while. My head is still swimming with deciding on the traps and I hope to sort out an answer in time to get some for Christmas.

I try to color coordinate stuff to avoid fighting over who lost what, pink, green, blue, and orange from youngest to oldest. Sometimes handing them a sharpie and telling them to decorate their own works just as well but blue sometimes comes off on your hands. It wouldn't be much to use a wood burner on some of the traps to write their names on them either. I have in the past taken to stenciled names on homemade canvas storage bags. Oil pastels seem to work well enough and are easy to find. JoAnns in Bangor carries hot pink canvas. It doesn't hurt to make the girl's stuff girly looking in our house.... I saw that neon pink jack trap....and the pink case...it pains my wallet and they had the green, blue, and orange too. Not sure if I will actually spring for something that pricy or get creative with something more budget friendly for my beginners. Not sure the level of interest.

I called Mardens two days ago and they didn't have anything in yet and we stopped in the brewer store yesterday and didn't find anything but will keep looking as it is early yet.

We do have a firefighter/paramedic/former commercial fisherman friend nearby that ice fishes and offered to let us use his shack. He and my hubby were Cub Scout co-den leaders and both our boys get along really well with his son and it doesn't hurt that his kids are really nice to my daughter too. I think my kids would be more excited to get out with other kiddos.

Thanks to scouts my boys have some pretty decent boots and ice stabilicers and snow shoes as well. The 17 year old begging hubby to go hunting yielded hubby upgrading his outer wear and I got them the otter ultra wide small sled with the hyfax runners we likely didn't need. They didn't get a deer and the clam pulling harness isn't here yet but they have a start on some ice fishing supplies.

Thank you to everyone who offered traps and pointers and a tour of the land. Would you have any interest in making the offer to the local Boy Scout troop(s)? Our troop tried to make it out last year but it apparently didn't materialize. I was hoping they would try it again. When boys get bored with inside meetings we start dropping our numbers. Our biggest obstacle for any activity is gear. Mike Gertler is our scout master, owner of the Bar Harbor Jam company and his wife works at MDIHS. Mike is very well organized and arranges the Blackwoods annual camping trip for all interested scout troops. I was wondering if he might be interested in even getting the area packs and troops together, and if you all would consider hanging onto your extra traps and share some pointers with a bunch of newbies. For that matter, BSA camp Roosevelt in Eddington would likely be really happy for volunteers to demonstrate ice fishing at the annual chill out. I wouldn't be surprised if Mike was or knew who is on the activities committee. I don't know how good the fishing is there as it requires hauling more gear to find out. That doesn't happen often. Perhaps a really good place to donate extra gear to, assuming there is enough fish for another generation to catch the bug. Scouts is always looking for new ways to recruit kids to join and ideas to invite friends year round go over pretty well. Food for thought. Our troop also enjoys camping at pickerel pond. Don't know if any of you have an interest, I can only say Mike is reliable and organized and experienced at arranging get togethers whatever level might be of interest, but gear isn't something the troop always has. Thankfully they are a car camping troop, plenty of gear to warm food.

Hubby was recently over to Rats buying the tastiest lobsters we have ever had and I hope sending him wasn't a mistake as he loves to tell jokes and play the occasional prank so he did his best to convince the fellow he intended to microwave them and came home practically giggling as he said he got the strangest look. Well, I hope the fellow is good natured about it. It sure put a grin on hubby's face and with his dad being put in the nursing home for dementia and the recent stokes and the constant calls from his mom... Well anyway, it was a good birthday dinner. Glad to know where to find bait locally.

Offline Mainesalmonslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2014, 03:45 PM »
Hello,heritage traps are a great trap,made in maine(eddington)and come in a bunch of diffrent colors.I grew up on MDI and i like to fish bubble and jordon,A ice auger from CL or uncle henreys will be the way to go,you figure ifthere are 4 of you on a 5 trap lake you do not want to be chopping or hand drilling 20 holes.best of luck to you and welcome to the hard water,be safe!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2014, 04:01 PM »
Would you have any interest in making the offer to the local Boy Scout troop(s)? Our troop tried to make it out last year but it apparently didn't materialize. I was hoping they would try it again.

I’d be up for it.

Offline MDI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2014, 12:45 PM »
I am considering going with max traps from http://www.maxtraps.com/index.php/products

Offline MDI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2014, 12:47 PM »
Clamfarmer, that would be awesomely incredible. Our ice fishing scout dad friend is also holding on to his spare traps in hopes of introducing some scouts to ice fishing as well.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2014, 01:09 PM »
I am considering going with max traps from http://www.maxtraps.com/index.php/products

There are 2-3 guys on here that fish with them, I believe they like.  I think a 1500' reel is overkill for your needs but I bet they would last.  I am sure you will eventually see something at Mardens for $10 a piece.  Also, KTP has great deals at the end of Feb. if you find a few to get started with. :tipup:

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2014, 01:27 PM »
Some really great suggestions on this thread.  I'd highly recommend taking up the offer to fish with some experienced people since this will be your family's first time ice fishing.  They'll show you the ropes and put you on some fish which will greatly reduce the learning curve and frustration that often accompanies any new venture.  I have three kids of my own ranging in age from 15 to 7.  They all love to ice fish so I thought I'd offer a few tips I've learned over the years when fishing with them:

1.  As several posters mentioned before, warm kids = happy kids.  If they are cold, they will be miserable so definitely make sure you keep them warm.  Many fisherman will use a portable propane heater on the ice but a fire is a fun way to stay warm (where permitted).  Be sure to bring some hot dogs and smores to go with the fire. You can also purchase some of those cheap hand warmer packs to stick inside gloves and boots.

2.  If it is going to be bitterly cold or windy, you may want to pick another day.  If your kids' first introduction to ice fishing turns into an arctic torture, it's likely to be their last.  Cloudy days tend to be warmer and high bluebird skies tend to be colder.  Windy days in particular make for tough fishing conditions so if you have the option to fish on a day that will be more favorable, you may want to delay your trip so that your younger ones are not icicles. 

3.  Although catching fish may be the academic purpose of ice fishing, the real purpose is fun.  If you focus on the overall experience rather than just catching fish, your time will be more enjoyable.  Some days you can catch fish non-stop and other days a lake can be a virtual lifeless desert.  When you have little ones out on the ice, make sure there is always something to do other than just waiting for a flag to pop or a fish to hit on a jigging rod.  When I hit the ice with my kids, I will sometime bring ice skates, a football or even a Frisbee.  We've even made snowmen and conducted sled races on the ice to pass time on slow days.  Anything to keep them entertained, active and laughing will make the trip more enjoyable - especially when the fish aren't hungry. 

4.  Bring a grill and make it a party/picnic.  Most people love a good picnic.  Having a picnic on the ice just makes it more fun.  Sausages, hot dogs and burgers are a staple of most ice outings but I've also cooked pancakes and French toast as well.  I'll often cook up a pot of chili or soup at home and then re-heat it on the ice.  Again, make it a party.

5.  Bring friends.  Each year, I allow each of my kids to invite a friend to one of our outings each year.  If they can share an unusual adventure with a friend, they seem to enjoy the experience even more. 

6.  Take lots of pictures.

7.  Be sure to share your adventures with the rest of the IS community when you return. 

I hope some day your family knows how cool you are MDI! 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2014, 02:12 PM »
X2! Bring food they pick out and will really like. Put em on fish on a NICE day if you can! My daughter liked gummy worms and smores, now she wants to go where we might catch the big one or quality crappy (If she is here from CA these days...) I just opened the comfort doors when she was about 3 and hooked her good!  ;D ;)

Some really great suggestions on this thread.  I'd highly recommend taking up the offer to fish with some experienced people since this will be your family's first time ice fishing.  They'll show you the ropes and put you on some fish which will greatly reduce the learning curve and frustration that often accompanies any new venture.  I have three kids of my own ranging in age from 15 to 7.  They all love to ice fish so I thought I'd offer a few tips I've learned over the years when fishing with them:

1.  As several posters mentioned before, warm kids = happy kids.  If they are cold, they will be miserable so definitely make sure you keep them warm.  Many fisherman will use a portable propane heater on the ice but a fire is a fun way to stay warm (where permitted).  Be sure to bring some hot dogs and smores to go with the fire. You can also purchase some of those cheap hand warmer packs to stick inside gloves and boots.

2.  If it is going to be bitterly cold or windy, you may want to pick another day.  If your kids' first introduction to ice fishing turns into an arctic torture, it's likely to be their last.  Cloudy days tend to be warmer and high bluebird skies tend to be colder.  Windy days in particular make for tough fishing conditions so if you have the option to fish on a day that will be more favorable, you may want to delay your trip so that your younger ones are not icicles. 

3.  Although catching fish may be the academic purpose of ice fishing, the real purpose is fun.  If you focus on the overall experience rather than just catching fish, your time will be more enjoyable.  Some days you can catch fish non-stop and other days a lake can be a virtual lifeless desert.  When you have little ones out on the ice, make sure there is always something to do other than just waiting for a flag to pop or a fish to hit on a jigging rod.  When I hit the ice with my kids, I will sometime bring ice skates, a football or even a Frisbee.  We've even made snowmen and conducted sled races on the ice to pass time on slow days.  Anything to keep them entertained, active and laughing will make the trip more enjoyable - especially when the fish aren't hungry. 

4.  Bring a grill and make it a party/picnic.  Most people love a good picnic.  Having a picnic on the ice just makes it more fun.  Sausages, hot dogs and burgers are a staple of most ice outings but I've also cooked pancakes and French toast as well.  I'll often cook up a pot of chili or soup at home and then re-heat it on the ice.  Again, make it a party.

5.  Bring friends.  Each year, I allow each of my kids to invite a friend to one of our outings each year.  If they can share an unusual adventure with a friend, they seem to enjoy the experience even more. 

6.  Take lots of pictures.

7.  Be sure to share your adventures with the rest of the IS community when you return. 

I hope some day your family knows how cool you are MDI!

Offline MAINETROUTWHISPERER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2014, 07:04 PM »
Check Ebay... you can always get some deals on there. You could prob. get a used "starter kit" at a great price.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:07 PM »

I have the max traps and they are my favorite traps. I also have some Jack traps, Heritage Laker, Thermals and several assorted basic traps. The Max traps are for my personal use and the rest are for loaning to kids and friends who are getting into the sport.  The only thing I would make sure to avoid is any trap where the reel spins on a vertical axle. Traps with that type of design are much more prone to tangles and snarled line.

Offline WhiteSquall

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:24 PM »
Mardens in Scarborough just got their ice fishing stuff up today. Great deals on starter traps.

Offline MDI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2014, 10:56 AM »
I really appreciate the tips on keeping things fun. Sled races sounds like a pretty fun thing our scout troop could get into. Games are a saving grace and hard to think of when needed the most. I was thinking Swedish fish as a snack would be a cute item to add to the gummy worms. Might use them as stocking stuffers this year.

Will look forward to checking out Mardens when the Ellsworth store has supplies. I can hope for an auger, right?

Walmart actually had quite a few items but I wanted to keep looking.

I did get my order in for two max traps a person and some places on MDI only allow for two so we can add more later if they like ice fishing and want to try different places. Maxtraps will let me know if there is a delay and they won't make it in time for Christmas but I was happy with what I picked even if I compromised on some colors and went with different colored flags to identify who has what.

I have a start anyway. Sled and traps done, and know what chisel I plan to get. I will have to remember to get new fishing licenses too..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.