The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Ion with the 10 inch auger  (Read 5640 times)

Offline Ice max

• IceShanty Rookie
Ion with the 10 inch auger
« on: Dec 05, 2014, 05:43 PM »
anyone have any info on the performance of the ion with 10 inch auger

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
Re: Ion with the 10 inch auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2014, 06:46 PM »
I wasn't aware they made a 10" blade for those. Interesting!

Offline Ice max

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2014, 07:20 PM »
Think it's new for 2015 169.99$$

Offline bojango

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2014, 08:20 PM »
Kinda had the same question. I'm in the market for a new auger this season (10") I was strongly considering the ion but I read several reviews that it shuts down when its gets too cold?? Any ion owners out there? Sorry to hijack your thread!!

Offline ctownfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2014, 08:12 AM »
Popcorn please...

Offline CRS02019

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2014, 08:54 AM »
Popcorn please...
Yep  :o
Ladies and gentlemen, please fasten your seatbelts. We're about to encounter some turbulence.   

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2014, 10:53 AM »
I only know of one person that has used the ion, that would be Will. (Not the 10" though)

Offline Ice max

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2014, 11:43 AM »
.       I sent message to ion ask with 10 inch about how many holes threw 2 ft ice full charge this is there answer........by there answer still don't know about how many holes with the 10 inch

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2014, 12:29 PM »
It varies 😀😀😀😀
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2014, 02:50 PM »
Having owned an Ion i can give a little insight into its capabilities.

They advertise you can get 40 holes in 24" of ice with the 8" bit. However I found that not to be the case and would average about 35 holes thru 18" of ice.

There is some math we can do to determine the area of ice cleared: pi x r x r =area
So for a 8" auger: 3.14 x 4 x 4 = 50.14
For a 10" auger: 3.14 x 5 x 5 =  78.5

This tells us that it will be roughly 55% more "work" to punch a hole using a 10" bit. So you can basically cut the number of holes roughly in half from what I was averaging thru 18"of ice to 17 on a full battery.

Obviously thinner or softer ice will yield more holes. So I dont think its to far fetched to expect 15-20 holes per charge with the 10" bit thru 18" of ice.

As for it shutting down when cold. Thats only the battery. Keep the battery warm and you will be fine.

Nerd mode deactivated.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Ice max

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2014, 03:23 PM »
Thanks info bait bucket I got more info from u then i did ion

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2014, 04:24 PM »
Baitbucket 101, room 3, down the hall on the left :-)

Offline bojango

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2014, 10:53 PM »
Having owned an Ion i can give a little insight into its capabilities.

They advertise you can get 40 holes in 24" of ice with the 8" bit. However I found that not to be the case and would average about 35 holes thru 18" of ice.

There is some math we can do to determine the area of ice cleared: pi x r x r =area
So for a 8" auger: 3.14 x 4 x 4 = 50.14
For a 10" auger: 3.14 x 5 x 5 =  78.5

This tells us that it will be roughly 55% more "work" to punch a hole using a 10" bit. So you can basically cut the number of holes roughly in half from what I was averaging thru 18"of ice to 17 on a full battery.

Obviously thinner or softer ice will yield more holes. So I dont think its to far fetched to expect 15-20 holes per charge with the 10" bit thru 18" of ice.

As for it shutting down when cold. Thats only the battery. Keep the battery warm and you will be fine.

Nerd mode deactivated.

Thanks for the info!

Don't think I want to deal with bringing some sort of heater just to use the auger, otherwise I probably would have bought one!

Offline elevatorman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Cynical people make bad friends.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2014, 06:29 AM »
Love my ion  no complaints. :tipup:
A Country boy can Survive.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2014, 08:05 AM »
Don't think I want to deal with bringing some sort of heater just to use the auger, otherwise I probably would have bought one!

Having fished with Will, his Ion and Rigid set ups many times. Keeping the batteries warm is so easy I would not give it another thought... It is so much easier than lugging a heavy, smelly, noisy, temperamental gas or propane auger... At least that is what is my experiences over the years have proven to me.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2014, 10:15 AM »
Ideed, keeping it warm wasnt much trouble at all. I used a small 6 pak hard sided cooler with a hand warmer. Seemed to do the trick.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2014, 11:51 AM »
Having fished with Will, his Ion and Rigid set ups many times. Keeping the batteries warm is so easy I would not give it another thought... It is so much easier than lugging a heavy, smelly, noisy, temperamental gas or propane auger... At least that is what is my experiences over the years have proven to me.
Allen, the propane isn't smelly, temperamental, or that noisy. Heavier yes :-) Just think, in a few years we will be using lasers to cut out holes :-)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2014, 01:22 PM »
MillBillyMan, I am happy for you that, you have the propane auger, but any engine (internal combustion) I have ever used was temperamental, sooner or later (for me mostly sooner)... And, yes propane is still noisy compared to a electric auger. And the propane fork trucks that I run (and are temperamental), smell much more than any electric fork truck or auger that I have used... But even if that weren't true, the weight is enough to have me go electric, but then again my style of fishing and your are different (not better or worst), just different... I am all about mobility and even the lightest gas auger I could find, was to heavy to lug around (it was also; smelly, noisy, temperamental) and I was very happy to see it go!

Offline elevatorman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Cynical people make bad friends.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2014, 02:54 PM »
I have 2 other  augers  jiffy  and Eskimo. I agree with you striper  nut. I love my ion  :thumbsup:
A Country boy can Survive.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2014, 03:00 PM »
Buy a $2 insulated lunch bag from the supermarket and take the battery off and put it in there with 1 hand warmer....never a problem. I am a little confused about the # of holes per inch since even with the coldest winter in a long time I didn't see anywhere near 18" and I fished 39 times all over Ma and CT. Seems like 40 holes @ 2' = 80 holes @1' which is closer to what I usually see. I never drill that many holes but I don't run & gun like many others.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2014, 07:58 PM »
MillBillyMan, I am happy for you that, you have the propane auger, but any engine (internal combustion) I have ever used was temperamental, sooner or later (for me mostly sooner)... And, yes propane is still noisy compared to a electric auger. And the propane fork trucks that I run (and are temperamental), smell much more than any electric fork truck or auger that I have used... But even if that weren't true, the weight is enough to have me go electric, but then again my style of fishing and your are different (not better or worst), just different... I am all about mobility and even the lightest gas auger I could find, was to heavy to lug around (it was also; smelly, noisy, temperamental) and I was very happy to see it go!
I agree, I was just adding some humor :-)

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2014, 09:18 PM »
I was definitely impressed with Will's Ion, technology is coming along nice.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2014, 05:35 AM »
I was definitely impressed with Will's Ion, technology is coming along nice.

I think you'll like the drill setup too Keith, Being so much lighter and just as efficient for less $$ was a no brainier.

Offline striper50trout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish hard, live long!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2014, 12:22 PM »
Baitbucket 101, room 3, down the hall on the left :-)

Hahaha!  :roflmao:

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2014, 03:16 PM »
I think you'll like the drill setup too Keith, Being so much lighter and just as efficient for less $$ was a no brainier.
I watched some videos, seems to work good.

Offline icecutter77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2014, 06:58 PM »
I have the 8 inch ion......good for 30-35 holes through 15-20 inches of ice. It's quiet, light and durable......worth every penny. Only issue I've had is the battery life indicator light doesn't seem to be accurate. Maybe that's just a flaw in my particular ion.

Offline bojango

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:55 PM »
I have the 8 inch ion......good for 30-35 holes through 15-20 inches of ice. It's quiet, light and durable......worth every penny. Only issue I've had is the battery life indicator light doesn't seem to be accurate. Maybe that's just a flaw in my particular ion.

Have you experienced the issue with the battery shutting down when its too cold?

Offline icecutter77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2014, 08:57 PM »
No I haven't.  I make sure I give it a full charge before heading out.....no problems....

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 09, 2014, 05:45 AM »
Have you experienced the issue with the battery shutting down when its too cold?

Just as a heads up, this issue has been confirmed by Ion. They even state in their FAQ to keep the battery warm to prevent this from happening. Those who say they leave their Ion/Battery out in the cold all day without issue must know magic or something lol.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 09, 2014, 07:09 AM »
I don't leave mine out in the cold all day on purpose but I didn't have a single issue with the battery at all last year.  Maybe after a few years I may notice some battery issues in the cold but not yet.

However, there are several simple solutions to keeping the battery warm.  I bring a 6 pack cooler for a golf bag that has pockets on the outside.  I stuff a few hand warmers in there on extremely cold days and put the battery in there after I drilled my holes.  Pull it out when I need to drill more and no more cold battery issues.
westernmas on the finder

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.