The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 10" ion!  (Read 930 times)

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
10" ion!
« on: Dec 05, 2014, 03:00 AM »
Anyone have any experience with the 10" ion auger. I have the 8" now and love it but I dreading having to give up my 10" hole. Wondering what the battery life is with the 10"? I am planning on getting a 2nd battery no matter what for the long days on the ice. any input would be appreciated.
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 10" ion!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2014, 06:19 PM »
TTT... had one in my hand at FF today but wanted to get some opinions. Someone has to have gotten the 10" auger for the ion! :)

Offline Keptafew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2014, 06:47 PM »
I just bought an Ion and the 10" auger yesterday..... tried the Ion last year with 8" and was very impressed. I too thought I would miss the 10"hole. I seldom drill more than a dozen holes all day so Im hoping it will be fine
A man should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2014, 12:28 AM »
From a post on another fourm, a guy got the 10inch for his wheel house.....sounded like it could barley turn it through 12 inches of ice.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2014, 04:45 PM »
well I couldn't help myself and dropped $150 on the 10" auger bit for the ion. I used it today and was 100% disappointed. The ion could barely turn it and it took way too long to get through 10" of ice. the first 3 or 4 inches goes fine than it slows way down. Its truly a joke I cant believe that they even tried to sell a 10" auger the ion.... it is getting returned tomorrow. They will be getting an email from me letting them know how disappointed I am.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2014, 06:29 PM »
well I couldn't help myself and dropped $150 on the 10" auger bit for the ion. I used it today and was 100% disappointed. The ion could barely turn it and it took way too long to get through 10" of ice. the first 3 or 4 inches goes fine than it slows way down. Its truly a joke I cant believe that they even tried to sell a 10" auger the ion.... it is getting returned tomorrow. They will be getting an email from me letting them know how disappointed I am.

Your not the first one, on another fourm two guys tried it with same results. The only way they could get through 12in or so of ice was to lift up the auger bit and clean the hole of slush every 2-3inches. It just sounds like the Ion doesn't have enough power to run a 10in.

Now the strikemaster they came out with this year is a 50volt so it might.....might be able to run a 10in. Not holding my breath though.

I think about the best unit to get a 10inch hole in a wheel house is a propane auger from what I've heard.

Offline Keptafew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2014, 07:41 PM »
Ouch..... I dont like the sound of that   :(

Offline Keptafew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2014, 08:37 PM »
I kinda sick at the thought of spending all that cash for something that wont work.... I guess the 10 inch auger will go back and Im stuck with getting used to 8 inch

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2014, 09:13 PM »
I've considered the Ion.  But as I explained to my son.... the reason they don't sell the 10 inch auger as a unit is probably this.  They want you to buy the 8 inch auger so when you try the 10 inch blade and don't like it, you've got the 8 inch to fall back on.  If you bought the auger as a 10 inch unit and it didn't live up to expectations, you'd have to buy an 8 inch head.

<{{{{{ °>
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2014, 06:49 PM »
the auger itself is stuill the best auger I have ever used. Easy as all heck, but a 10" bit isn't going to happen. I have a 10" eskimo Z71 and every day I take the ion not the gasser.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.