The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy versus Eskimo  (Read 2731 times)

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waitin for the freeze!!
Jiffy versus Eskimo
« on: Dec 04, 2014, 09:29 PM »
I was at Cabelas tonight and bought a new Eskimo propane auger. I had intentions of buying a Jiffy but changed my mind. The salesman told me the Jiffy would throw more ice chips and water with the chipper blade vs Eskimo's shaver blade. Does this make sense? I have a Strikemaster which is not bad about ice and water in a permanent. I am tempted to swap the Eskimo for a Jiffy tomorrow. The idea of Eskimo being new to propane concerns me. What does everyone think, Jiffy or Eskimo?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Jiffy versus Eskimo
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2014, 09:42 PM »
You may enjoy looking over a word or so about Eskimos'.

Your choice :   You may want to go to the end (page 123) to find some opinions on the propane engine.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=152698.0

Offline FourEyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2014, 09:42 PM »
Are you going to be reopening holes in a permy?  If so, you'll want the chipper blade.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2014, 07:28 AM »
I've used my Quantum 10" Eskimo to reopen my holes quite often, it works ok. All I remember of my cousin's Jiffy was him always having wet legs. It seemed his auger threw a lot of water. Just going on years ago memory tho.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2014, 08:36 AM »
I have had a new Eskimo Propane auger for over a month now....We don't have any ice here so I can't comment on it for cutting holes but I have ran it through a crap load of tests as far as starting and so far it has been flawless......If I leave the canister on and let it set for days it will start first pull....I went through the reccommended procedures for setting the idle and that went fine.....So so far so good......Just need some ice...

I have let it sit outside in 15 degee weather for 4 hours and it started on the second pull...

I am not a "brand" guy at all and can only comment on what I have found so far...

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2014, 08:53 AM »
I won't reopen that many holes and when I do they would just be overnight. I am still skeptical about the first year for a product, even though Eskimo has been around a long time.    Too many choices!

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2014, 07:53 PM »
Well I returned the Eskimo today and picked up the Jiffy, Not sure it was the right decision but I kept hearing from salesmen wherever I looked at augers "well I wouldn't be afraid of the propane Eskimo" no one really wanted to commit to the Eskimo and I know they are new so it would be tough making a stronger statement. I live 110 miles from anywhere that sells or services augers so I thought I should stick with the proven brand.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2014, 08:47 PM »
I have the pro-4 10", 4th season, I like it. Starts 1-2 pulls is nice. PITA when it is -20*F, propane doesn't flow well and the result is a loss of power and/or VERY high idle speed. Temps around 0*F and it works fine. You'll probably like it.
The new pro-mo (< that's what they should'e called it ;D) looks nice. If my pro-4 bits the shed in the next couple years I would try the HC-40. Although I'm not very familiar with the shaver type blades and how easy they sharpen.
I don't worry about ice chips with the jiffy... I suppose I do get some on my boots/bibs... I guess it would be a PITA if you wear sneakers though.
It must be something in the water.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2014, 01:40 PM »
Have had the eskimo propane 8 inch for 2 weeks now, and have gotten out with it twice.  Both times temps weren't that cold.  It has never started on the first or second pull, more like 3rd or 4th.  It runs well, and cuts good.  Yesterday had 9 inches of ice it sliced through pretty good.  No sputters, unless you barely hold throttle down (not enough to even turn the blade) and you can hear it wanting to die.  But, not a reason to ever do that, just my testing it outside when not fishing.  The multiple pull start has me concerned, as I thought it only happened when reattaching propane to it, but let the auger sit for 2 hours yesterday before drilling some ore holes, and same thing...2-3 pulls.  Once started it runs nice and smooth.  2 year guarantee and the replacement blades are under 30 bucks.  Lighter than the std jiffy, and 100 bucks less.

My $.02

Fs

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2014, 08:46 PM »
Last night I put the auger on the Jiffy and planned to add the oil. I pulled the dipstick out and noticed something down inside the fill tube. When they attached the plastic fill/dipstick tube they used some gray sealant, too much, enough it dripped down and had set up just where the plastic meets the engine. I might have been able to remove it but was afraid it would drop into the engine. I am also concerned more could be in the crankcase. There was some oil in the crankcase so I would have thought they would have seen the sealant when they added the oil. I will take this back to Cabelas, I may buy the Eskimo after all.

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2014, 05:35 PM »
Last night I put the auger on the Jiffy and planned to add the oil. I pulled the dipstick out and noticed something down inside the fill tube. When they attached the plastic fill/dipstick tube they used some gray sealant, too much, enough it dripped down and had set up just where the plastic meets the engine. I might have been able to remove it but was afraid it would drop into the engine. I am also concerned more could be in the crankcase. There was some oil in the crankcase so I would have thought they would have seen the sealant when they added the oil. I will take this back to Cabelas, I may buy the Eskimo after all.

Been drilling with mine for a while and it works great!  It started good in the -10F temps we had earlier on too!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:52 PM »
Maybe the stuff in the oil fill is a sign to you.  If you stay with the Jiffy you have to lay and store it with the spark plug up or you can ruin the motor however you can lay the Eskimo in any position and when you store it you have to store it upright (as if you were running it) or spark plug up. 

Offline druthrbfishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:06 PM »
I have a new Eskimo. Started it tonight. The first start was 12-15 pulls but it has cooled off and it starts easily now.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:13 PM »
Cant be as bad as this one.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:28 PM »
Cant be as bad as this one.

That was ugly.     :woot: :roflmao:

This is just to balance the universe.      :clap:             OOOOM

Offline Wibowhunter88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:39 PM »
I have an eskimo mako  thing is an absolute beast I love it 2 pulls fire s right up cut through over 2 feet of ice like nothing easy on gas too! I pounded a ton of holes last year  only used probably 1/2 tank .

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2014, 11:02 PM »
I have an eskimo mako  thing is an absolute beast I love it 2 pulls fire s right up cut through over 2 feet of ice like nothing easy on gas too! I pounded a ton of holes last year  only used probably 1/2 tank .
Sam Ting, zakery what I have.   ;)2

Can you, Wibow, tell me what the OOOM thing is, above  :whistle:

Ok, I'll give you a clue, it's a click-able hyper link.      :woot:

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:18 AM »
That was ugly.     :woot: :roflmao:

This is just to balance the universe.      :clap:             OOOOM
I want one too. PLEASEEEEEEE!
<===Lefty===

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:13 AM »
That oooom auger is the sickest sounding auger I have ever heard.

Not bad on the eyes though!!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2014, 04:07 AM »

I have the same experience with my Mako, it's an animal.  A few years ago we were on 26 inches of ice and it drilled through it fast and without any problems or hesitation. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.