The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anyone been out yet?  (Read 3058 times)

Offline PerchSlayer67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "It's a big one guys!"
Anyone been out yet?
« on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:42 PM »
I went out for the first time on nov 21st. Way up in elevation. Had 2-3.5". My cousin and I caught a lot of smaller perch. Went back the next day and caught some decent perch and pickerel, (and shot a 4 pointer 127# that night  ;D)  Went back to the same pond last Sunday and had 2-5" of sketchy ice.. Anywhere past 8 feet deep the ice went to 2-3" of slush/ ice. Hoping to have some cold weather make some ice quick.
"Ice is on the lake so we're going Fishin!"

Offline EmTee

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Anyone been out yet?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2014, 06:09 PM »
Thinking of checking out Curtis Pond this weekend.  I think we'll have enough ice to try it out.  Can't wait!

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2014, 07:28 PM »
I went out for the first time on nov 21st. Way up in elevation. Had 2-3.5". My cousin and I caught a lot of smaller perch. Went back the next day and caught some decent perch and pickerel, (and shot a 4 pointer 127# that night  ;D)  Went back to the same pond last Sunday and had 2-5" of sketchy ice.. Anywhere past 8 feet deep the ice went to 2-3" of slush/ ice. Hoping to have some cold weather make some ice quick.

Really mind sharing where?
Thanks

Offline PerchSlayer67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "It's a big one guys!"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2014, 07:43 PM »
Up in higher elevation up north 2300 feet that's all I'm saying ha. And doubtful Curtis will be good.. But u never know. The rain and warm weather earlier this week hurt the ice a lot.

Offline spb802

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If it's cold I'm on the hard water...
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2014, 06:07 AM »
The weather needs to cool down for a good week and hopefully at least the smaller bodies of water start getting a good layer of ice. Once muzzleloader is over or I'm tagged out, I'll be looking to get out on some hard water! Can't wait!
My passion for fishing and hunting, I owe to my Father and Uncle Art. RIP Art Rye, I will cherish all the days on the hard water we spent together and all the days in the woods. Miss you...

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2014, 06:37 AM »
A couple weeks ago we got into some nice perch and crappie too. I'll be back out this weekend.

I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline Never Crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2014, 11:34 AM »
Nice, think Ill search for some hardwater up north this weekend got the itch.  Wish the weather would make up its mind.

Offline Mr. Jitterbugger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2014, 02:30 PM »
Shelburne pond isn't frozen yet  >:(

Offline PerchSlayer67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "It's a big one guys!"
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2014, 05:44 PM »
The weather needs to cool down for a good week and hopefully at least the smaller bodies of water start getting a good layer of ice. Once muzzleloader is over or I'm tagged out, I'll be looking to get out on some hard water! Can't wait!
went out again tonight at bakers pond in northfield. 4" of ice all the way around. solid to. fishing was slow

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2014, 07:08 PM »
i went scouting today..

chittenden dam has 2 inches of ice but only half the lake is frozen

beaver pond in proctor has about 2 inches of ice

Hopefully i will be on the ice soon

cant wait
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline EmTee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2014, 08:43 AM »
went out again tonight at bakers pond in northfield. 4" of ice all the way around. solid to. fishing was slow

Is Baker's any good in the winter?  I've always wondered about it but have never seen anyone out there.  I live just 2 miles away!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2014, 03:51 PM »
Snowed up north all day insulating what little ice we had, it will slow down making any now. :'(

Offline Myke Wells

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2014, 03:29 PM »
Went from Benson landing all the way up to the ferry this morning and Benson was wide open but north of Stoney point all the way to just south of Larabies  was frozen some spots of water here and there but generally all solid. looed like there was some ice north of the ferry. Didn't go out and check any for thickness but I will this week some time. 2.5 inches on Burr pond at the launch went out about ten feet and checked. Hortonia was open on the rt 30 side but was frozen solid from state boat launch all the way back to the store. Anyone know if any ice on back waters of the Conn. river yet. Thanks
Unclebuck

Offline PerchSlayer67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "It's a big one guys!"
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2014, 05:37 PM »
PerchPlayer, what did you end up doing with that walleye from carmi? Did you get that sucker mounted?
Negative that suckers long gone. Was a good eat!

Offline PerchSlayer67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "It's a big one guys!"
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2014, 05:40 PM »
Is Baker's any good in the winter?  I've always wondered about it but have never seen anyone out there.  I live just 2 miles away!
There's very few decent perch. A lot of bass but 7/8 of the pond is under 7'... Small seeds to. I rarely fish there

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2014, 10:19 AM »
I wish the weather would stay like it was yesterday!  I went scouting (aka daydreaming) on Friday.  Iroquois was iced up very thin.  Monkton was getting there.  Fern was, too.

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2014, 10:39 AM »
Got out for the first time this morning for a few hours on a small pond. Caught a few small perch and sunnies but it was good just to be able to be back on the ice!

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2014, 01:20 PM »
At this point, I would rather have rain than snow.  The rain will help to bring the lake temps down.  Snow will only make dangerous ice.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2014, 12:21 PM »
36 degrees and slush falling from the sky  :(
I stopped by a couple ponds this morning, and I was surprised to meet an ice skater coming off the ice!  He had a pfd, ice pics, and some sharp poles meant to test the ice thickness.   It was so close to being thick enough for me... but this weather is probably going to ruin it.  So close!

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:36 AM »

Caught these Tuesdays as the Nor' Easter moved in.
1st one caught was that fat 13"

Offline ditzlr79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I'm fishing I'm happy
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2014, 11:39 AM »
I've been waiting and itching to get out on the ice! The weather started out great early season but quickly took a turn for the worse. We had almost 3 inches then mother nature decided to rip hope away by first dropping over 6 inches of snow to slow the process down then warm up into the 40's with rain this past week. As the rain and warm weather took the snow away it also did a number on the ice. The temp seems to be cooperating a little more now so hoping to be out on the ice around Christmas! That'd be the best present I could get!
There's Ice Fishing, then there's ice and fishing.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:57 PM »
Mudchuck, Nice perch !!!

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2014, 05:25 PM »
I just ate a couple dozen fresh perch that I pulled through a couple holes yesterday. ;-)
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.