Author Topic: Power Box Help  (Read 4478 times)

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Power Box Help
« on: Dec 03, 2014, 09:55 PM »
I've been trying to find a good write-up or how-to on building a power box for my flip over and I'm not having any luck. I'm not very well versed with electrical things and I would like to build one just to power an LED light strip and charge my phone if I'm out all day. Ive seen a lot of posts about them but none of them really go into detail about how to build them and what all you need. Looking for something to do in my spare time until the ice is safe ;D Any help would be great!

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Power Box Help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:47 AM »
Picked up a powerall great reviews. It has two usb ports, led flashlight, and can jump start a semi lol. There's all kinds of videos on it. Charges  ell phones great and has no issues running light strips. Pretty cool for something that can fit in your pocket.

PowerAll Vs.Kenworth:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D42AFS8/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1417692651&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2014, 12:59 PM »
Picked up a powerall great reviews. It has two usb ports, led flashlight, and can jump start a semi lol. There's all kinds of videos on it. Charges  ell phones great and has no issues running light strips. Pretty cool for something that can fit in your pocket.

PowerAll Vs.Kenworth:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D42AFS8/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1417692651&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX200_QL40
Wow, I've got to get one of those and for under $100 a great buy

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2014, 01:09 PM »
That thing is awesome, only thing I would like to know is do the jimper  cable leads unplug from the unit or are they permanently attached? either way its a neat little unit

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2014, 01:34 PM »
That thing is awesome, only thing I would like to know is do the jimper  cable leads unplug from the unit or are they permanently attached? either way its a neat little unit

They are separate just plug in. Crazy what battery technology is doing.

Offline Ice_Addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2014, 02:09 PM »
I recently made a power box with a few more bells and whistles than what you're wanting, but you could just forego what you don't need. Below is a link to the thread with pics of my build. Send me a private message and I'd be happy to send you my detailed wiring diagram (very helpful for beginners like us). 😀

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=264746.240

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2014, 02:12 PM »
I would find a small marine fuse box and mount it to your sled.  Add a deep cycle battery and you have plenty of power to run led lights and anything else you want. 
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Ice_Addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2014, 02:33 PM »
I would find a small marine fuse box and mount it to your sled.  Add a deep cycle battery and you have plenty of power to run led lights and anything else you want.

This will work. But having a portable one like I made gives it so many more uses - hunting, summer fishing, tailgating, sporting events, etc. I don't always fish with my portable, sometimes it's in a permie or just out in the open (with or without ATV). Having a multi-functional portable power box opens up all kinds of opportunities. And it's easier to charge the batteries, just bring the power box to your charger instead of unstrapping a battery and the power cords in your portable. Everyone's needs are different. 😄

I found my wiring diagram. The dual USB port and dimmer switch are probably the least necessary if you want to keep your cost down (dual USB port was around $20 alone and most items needing charged already have the cigarette plug). There are links to the items I used in my build as well as costs in a previous post in this thread. Good luck!

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2014, 07:56 PM »
Powerall looks way easier plus provides more power and it's lighter. Power boxes used to make sense but buy the time you buy everything and do it yourself what are you saving? I don't see the point of wasting the time in building one imo. Even Berkey came out with a $45 ready to go power box. If electrical work is a hobby and it's enjoyable to build your own great. I personally don't have the patience for electrical.

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Stinkybaits you make a good point. With my lack of know-how with electronics I might look into that Berkley power pack. I just cant seem to find much information on it. I'd like to know the run time of it. My question with the Powerall is how exactly do you hook up lights to it? Would you have to put a usb connector on your lights or attach them to the jumper cables? ???

Offline IceJunkie0602

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2014, 12:09 AM »
The berkley power pack is on sale at Cabelas for 39.99.

Offline Ice_Addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2014, 11:03 PM »
Powerall looks way easier plus provides more power and it's lighter. Power boxes used to make sense but buy the time you buy everything and do it yourself what are you saving? I don't see the point of wasting the time in building one imo. Even Berkey came out with a $45 ready to go power box. If electrical work is a hobby and it's enjoyable to build your own great. I personally don't have the patience for electrical.

Good point! But if you enjoy doing something, is it wasting your time? And regarding the cost, I could go to the local grocery store and buy fish, which would save me a lot of time and money.

Mine wasn't a money saver, more of a challenge. And, it got me out of the house while waiting for the ice, forced me to learn a bit about 12v wiring, allowed me to customize to my needs, and provides an extra battery or two for my sonar/GPS if needed. Any learning opportunity is never a waste of time. Most of the modifications/custom builds, etc on here could have been purchased, or at least something similar could have been purchased. Just depends on how you look at it, what your resources are, etc.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2014, 07:24 AM »
Just like I said in the post glad you enjoy doing that stuff. You can keep learning that way. I enjoy reading fishing books as I can't get enough information. Good luck with any future electrical projects!

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2014, 01:34 PM »
How exactly would you hook up the lights in your shanty to the powerall?

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2014, 06:45 PM »
USB light strips. Just Google check out reviews there's quite a few out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.