The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice saw question  (Read 7309 times)

Offline Cannonball87

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice saw question
« on: Dec 03, 2014, 05:35 PM »
Hello,

I'm relatively new to darkhouse spearing (just started last winter) and I'm looking into buying an ice saw. After going out several times with nothing but an auger and a chisel, it didn't take me long to figure out that a saw is probably the best way to go when the ice gets thick. I did use a saw that I borrowed last year a couple of times and it seemed to get caught up alot. Maybe it was dull but I'm not sure. Anyway, I've been researching ice saws quite a bit lately and have seen some antique ice saws that people used to use when they harvested ice commercially. Just by looking at them online, it seems to me that they'd work quite a bit better than the modern ice saws you see for sale. They cut both on the up and down stroke, their teeth aren't as aggressive and have a more user friendly grip on them. Some of these antique saws can be had for only $50 to $100 more than a modern ice saw. My question is, has anybody used one of these old style ice saws to cut a spear hole? If so, how did it work? And I was wondering if anybody makes these anymore?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Ice saw question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2014, 05:41 PM »
First things first, Welcome to Iceshanty, Cannonball87.   

Hm, I will guess you're not in Norway, for you would most likely have an ice saw. 

Not tryin' to pin you down, Sir. Neither do I want your address, ha.

To aid your "Research" , here's a link :     http://www.icesaw.com/

Offline Cannonball87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2014, 05:54 PM »
Ha, nope not in Norway. Thanks for the link though, I'll check it out!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2014, 06:21 PM »
Dang, those saws are just around the block, er, um, well, you know, ha. 

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2014, 07:15 PM »
Mr Gator linked you up to the best ice saw out there. Up to about 12"-14" of ice they work excellent. After that you may need to take a break and catch your wind. I have had mine for about 6 years and it cuts as good now as when I bought it. Good luck ! And Welcome to the Shanty!

WS

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2014, 07:23 PM »
Thanks W S . 

Too bad they limit us to a 10" hole in the ice or I'd have one too.

Notice how I avoided the bombardment of many who criticize the asking for a "location", ha.    ;)2

Gotta remember that trick, ha.    :roflmao:

Offline iceholehopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2014, 09:36 PM »
You can cut a 10" round hole with a Fish's saw.  I've got a Fish's and Nils ice saw and prefer the Fish's. 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2014, 09:43 PM »
You can cut a 10" round hole with a Fish's saw.  I've got a Fish's and Nils ice saw and prefer the Fish's. 

My guess is you just made two statements.

Hm, that first was not a question, right ?  ???

Offline iceholehopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2014, 09:54 PM »
Both were statements.

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2014, 09:08 AM »
Modern ice saws cut faster and easier then the old commercail saws I know a few guys that have tried the old saws and they will cut a hole but it's just slower. 

Offline Cannonball87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2014, 05:44 PM »
Thanks for the help and welcome everybody. I think I'm going to buy one

Offline crittrgittr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2014, 02:53 PM »
  I have a Fish's Ice Saw. Works good. There is another one a lot of Mich.guys are going to.
  It's made by a Mich. company called Dream Outdoors.
  Guys claim that it cuts better than the Fish's saw and it's lighter, due to the tubular metal handle.
  Here's the link:
                          http://www.dream-outdoors.com/store/c8/Hard_Water_Ice_Saws.html

Guys are also wrapping the the metal handle with Hockey tape, to help with their grip.
   Is supposedly cheaper too.

Offline Jdawgsk1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2014, 09:48 PM »
I use one of the old saws and am considering buying a fish's saw. The old saws cut on the down stroke, they are meant to cut long strips of ice so cutting a 2x3 hole you are just getting started before you need to stop, they are very heavy and cumbersome. That being said I have not used one of the new saws yet. I find I get tired out not from cutting the Ice but from from lifting the heavy saw up and down.

Offline mwal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2014, 11:12 AM »
My Fish's Ice saw has never let me down. Highly recommend it. Had a friend try the nils and he sold it and got a Fish's

Mwal

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2015, 09:29 AM »
Used my Fish's saw last weekend on nearly 18". Cut like butter. Buddy with the metal handle wrapped in hockey tape used mine instead. One of the finest purchases I have made! Worth every penny, just like the Michalski Pike Decoy in Perch Pattern I finally broke out, a game changer! That decoy just glides so smooth!

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2015, 05:54 PM »
I have an old saw and a new one made by Nils. The new one is way easier to pack around. I tend to use the auger more than the saw. I used to cut a 3'x3' hole and use 3 rows of 3 augered 10" holes. It is just a lot easier than sawing through a lot of ice. I have seen guys do cut six little 6" holes and saw the rest and I just want to have a heart attack looking at that. I am picking up the new wheelhouse and the frame looks like the new spear hole will be more like 2'x4'.

Offline 19rabbit52

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2015, 06:16 PM »
I just got my Dream Outdoors in the mail yesterday. Got out and used it today. The more I used it the easier it got. I'm not going to say as easy as cutting soft butter. I cut a (2) 24"x12" holes. If I was 30 years younger I would say easy. I do like it. Oh yea, they are on sale right now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.