The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: commercial crappie fishing  (Read 756 times)

Offline percheater

• IceShanty Rookie
commercial crappie fishing
« on: Dec 03, 2014, 08:14 AM »
I heard that there was a proposal last year on making crappie game fish to stop the selling of them. Has anyone heard if this has happened? I don't sell them but am curious if it has happened.
Gary Owen

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: commercial crappie fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2014, 08:33 AM »
Interesting.

I don't catch enough of them, so selling never entered my mind. Good table fare though, and if I'm ever lucky enough to find them, I keep them if over 10". Never caught my limit yet either, not sure how guys do it...

Offline percheater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2014, 08:53 AM »
They can be tough to locate and then catch. For years they were an accidental catch. A finder is a handy tool to have when targeting them. I have caught a limit a few times but most of the time 10 to 15. I love them. I seem to get a little excited and lose them at the hole, then am POd.
Gary Owen

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2014, 12:19 PM »
The proposal got dropped-- I believe because the commercial fishermen were very vocal in their opposition to it.  I have mixed feelings about it.  I've heard a few old-timer crappie fishermen say that the crappie are harder to find than they used to be.  Some guys are catching their limit every day, and selling them, all the while lamenting that "the other spot" they fished last year is no good this year. :-\

Offline percheater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2014, 01:30 PM »
Yes you can hurt crappie populations in small lakes but they are harder to find in large waters. Most are very tight lipped about crappie if they sell as they normally sell for over 2  Bucks a pound.If you can catch crappie you should have no problems with most anything else (jigging). Some people are really good at it, but as of yet I only consider myself fair. I catch em but don't get my limit too often. I did improve some when I bought a meat stick. A good sensitive tip helps a lot but they can suck the jig in and spit it in a heartbeat. You really have to stay focused.
Gary Owen

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.