Author Topic: Chambers @ Cameron pass  (Read 1283 times)

Offline randingo

• IceShanty Rookie
Chambers @ Cameron pass
« on: Dec 02, 2014, 10:40 PM »

Anyone ice fish chambers.  Ice fished there last April with so so results.   Any advice helps. Has anybody killed it up there?

Offline Inluvwithfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Chambers @ Cameron pass
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2014, 11:10 PM »
I have not killed it up there. But I have had success. Only caught the avg laker which is about 16-20inches it seems. The day we did get in to them it was on smaller ratfinks. Other days we got them on tube and sucker. Better luck towards north. Steep drops. Hard to get into with out good lungs/snowshoes or snowmoblile. Not sure what ice is know. But I bet there is fishable ice. I fished joe wright last weekend and it was good ice

Offline Gutzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2014, 11:38 PM »
I've iced Chambers many times over the last 6+ years and I have a love hate relationship with that b***h. It can be really good or really bad. I've had days up there where I caught 15+ macs myself (kept none btw) and then there's 1 fish days (last Christmas day) and go home skunked days. The weather typically sucks ass and the wind is normally blowing, but there's been an occasional blue bird day  where I've been down to a long sleeve shirt fishing outside. I seem to have the best days up there before a low pressure storm rolls in bc the fish are moving around on a feeding frenzy I believe. I know there's some hog's in there but the biggest one I've seen caught was 28"s. After they plow shut Laramie River Road and close the gate to the camp ground your either walking in or you have a snowmobile, I chose the latter of the two. But I walked my happy ass into that b***h many times before I had a machine and I have to admit it was never worth all the work. I have seen guys actually bring in wall tents and stay the night on the lake. I've fished all over the lake and really don't have a favorite spot or honey hole because the fish move around so I do as well. I've caught macs on everything from 3.5" tubes, cast masters, jigging raps, all the way down to rat finks. I hope this helps a bit and let me know if you have anymore questions.     

Offline bronvike21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2014, 01:38 AM »
We were contemplating heading up there this weekend to give it a try. Need to get the sled fired up though.

Offline andyrm66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2014, 01:45 AM »
last week i was told it was sketchy on chambers. if anyone knows different please post it.

Offline Gutzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2014, 02:53 PM »
I'm going up Saturday so I will let you all know. Last I heard there was 8 inches. But that Lake is very sketch for sure. I've seen the ice at the N side of the lake look like Swiss cheese and from what I understand it's from methane gas traveling up from the bottom.

Offline bronvike21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2014, 04:07 PM »
Well poop :'(
Is Laramie River road open?

Offline randingo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2014, 09:24 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  I like the exercise and the experience. Fish are always a fun bonus.

Offline randingo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2014, 07:44 AM »
hit chambers Saturday ice 8 to 10 inches. No fish but got in a good workout. Ice was very noisy. Probably try later in the season.

Offline Gutzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2014, 01:42 PM »
I went up yesterday as well, both roads are closed to vehicles. I took the snowmobile up Laramie River Road with ease and for now a guy could get up to the lake with a 4x4 quad with some chains along just in case. The road is good and packed from snow machines but if they get more snow forget the quad. The weather was beautiful for Chambers anyway. We were blessed and I had bow on within 30 seconds down the hatch, and it was non stop for the next 4 hours. They must be spawning or ? because they were aggressive as heck and had white stuff coming out of them. It was just one of those amazing days that happen every so often, we lost track but definitely caught over 150. we had so much fun that the only mac fishing I did was a tip up with a 3.5 inch tube tipped with sucker meat and caught one decent size mac. I didn't have much time to fish lakers bc I had my 9 year old daughter with and was helping her quite a bit when the hook was buried. I normally never fish for bows up there but the memories for my daughter would make me give up even the best day of mac fishing. Like randingo said the ice is around 10" with the typical 4 inch soft frozen slush layer on top so I think it's pretty well safe from here on out. 

Offline randingo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2014, 09:21 PM »
sounds like a awesome day of fishing @gutzy.  You must of been on the other end  with the blue hut. The south end was a bust for us. But there is always next time. 

Offline Gutzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2014, 11:33 AM »
Yep that was us randingo. It's good all along that bluff bank if you want to catch bows. I understand and the walk in wanting to find the closest ice and get a line down. If you walk in again try going up the road instead and fishing the dam area, I've had good luck at times catching macs in that bay. It's a bit farther walk and gradual uphill to Lake but at least it's downhill on the way back to truck.

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2014, 11:19 AM »
I have had some fun with the stocker bows there from time to time, but not through the ice.  Was there any size to them rainbows? 

It is a long walk with the sled but other ice doesn't seem to be available yet.

s

Offline ifnoiceImnotfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:14 AM »
NICE JOB!
I want to get up there soon. I have very little experience fishing chambers and have never ice fished there. Any tips of locations to start the looking. Gutzy mentioned bluff bank for bows, I assume that is on the far west and south side?  And catching macs in the bay where the boat ramp is?
Thanks for the help in narrowing it down. I am a catch and release guy (dont like eating trout and big macs I think should always be put back).

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:45 PM »
Try for macks just north of the dam but close to the banks in 70 feet of water.  While letting a big mack is good, you can't beat the taste of a 20 incher.  Like brook trout, these char beat the taste of the best trout hands down.

Try tube jigs in white or pink tipped with a small sucker off the bottom.  Its a long walk so travel light or you will kill yourself if the snow is deep.

Let me know how you do. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.