The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bozeman area ponds  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Fishin Friesz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bozeman area ponds
« Reply #30 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:24 PM »
I don't think fwp has ever stocked carp? Haha speckled carp on the other hand is one of their favorites!  I agree though, a few crappie thrown in would be a blast!  Anybody get out on the local ponds this weekend? How did the ice hold up through that warm spell last week?  Temps this week look much more encouraging!

Offline Icedeamon111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:54 PM »
I've hit the 3 major ponds in bozo all through the warm spell and they held up fine!
Rip a Lip!

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:14 AM »
I don't think fwp has ever stocked carp? Haha speckled carp on the other hand is one of their favorites!  I agree though, a few crappie thrown in would be a blast!  Anybody get out on the local ponds this weekend? How did the ice hold up through that warm spell last week?  Temps this week look much more encouraging!
I don't know if it was FWP's doing or not, but look at the west pond in Three Forks. That is the fate of the Bozemana Beach if it was indeed stocked with carp. I hear all this garbage about wild and native fish populations...why do we not stock more native fish? Sauger, channel cats, burbot among others....

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:28 AM »
I know that our ponds couldn't sustain sauger or burbot, but channel cats...come on now. I honestly don't know why the lower Jefferson and upper stretches of the Missouri don't have them. They would thrive. With the recent rise in Stonecats out there and all those carp, plus the recent pike ordeal and floods introducing bluegill to the system(look into the backwater at old town bridge), I would say that maybe it should be looked upon as an opportunity for Montana and it's anglers. Perhaps I am in the minority here... 

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #34 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:29 PM »
I know that our ponds couldn't sustain sauger or burbot, but channel cats...come on now. I honestly don't know why the lower Jefferson and upper stretches of the Missouri don't have them. They would thrive. With the recent rise in Stonecats out there and all those carp, plus the recent pike ordeal and floods introducing bluegill to the system(look into the backwater at old town bridge), I would say that maybe it should be looked upon as an opportunity for Montana and it's anglers. Perhaps I am in the minority here...

There r a few dams stopping them on the upper Missouri. I know cats r good eating, but who's going 2 go out of there way 2 do some bucket biology on those snakes.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #35 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:26 AM »
Hey guys I m a biologist out of msu and bucket biology almost never works out in the anglers favor. I urge you all to never participate in these illegal activities. Canyon ferry is a good example of bucket biology gone wrong and messing up a great perch fishery. Fish for fish where they are supposed to be and give your input to the appropriate sources. I know fwp has made bad choices in the past with stocking programs but they were all guided by public opinion. I would hate to see the Missouri river take another hit as I have spent the last 3 years studying it's altered ecosystem and the consequences.

Read my quote I didn't say go out n do some bucket biology. Typical bobcat can't read.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #36 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:54 AM »
Typical bobcat can't read.

Foul!!! Lol:)

Offline nutinbutjiggin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:33 AM »
Hey guys I m a biologist out of msu and bucket biology almost never works out in the anglers favor. I urge you all to never participate in these illegal activities. Canyon ferry is a good example of bucket biology gone wrong and messing up a great perch fishery.

Bear with me while I rant a bit here....

I am no proponent of "bucket biology" that's for sure but with all due respect I had to laugh at this one. If Canyon Ferry has "gone wrong" I don't want to see it right. I fished for those non-native alien rainbow trout and perch all thru the 70s 80s and 90s in Canyon Ferry. It was OK, but remember on any given weekend you could get any camp site at the silos. Along came walleye and the popularity of the fishery went off the charts. Walleye fishing at Canyon Ferry is a blast and what it has done for the local economy is amazing. Sure perch numbers are down from the "old days" but is it as simple as the walleye ate them all? Remember in the "old days" all the relatively newly flooded sage brush and trees that used to line the bottom of the lake (especially at the north end) was much younger and fuller and made for perfect perch hatching. Now that stuff is all but gone from old age/decay. Just drop a camera down there. So if we want the perch spawns of the 70s we will need to get off our duffs and do something.

Those genetically altered trout we fished for before walleye were about as native as a Martian but they had been dumping them in Canyon Ferry out of a tanker truck for so many years  the public perception was some how they were native or at least "belonged there". Don't get me wrong I have nothing against trout there fun to catch. Made my living as a guide for years (on the rivers) chasing them. But Canyon Ferry is a man made put and take lake at best. Soooo I say get over it!

Walleye are there now, lets manage them. No its not going to be as easy as backing a truck down the boat ramp and pulling the lever and dumping a million "fingerling trout" in the lake then going back to the shop for a coffee break. A naturally reproducing species is and will be more challenging to manage. Presently FWP has a walleye management attitude on CF of begrudging tolerance at best.

Everyone agrees we need more forage and perch is the perfect candidate.  FWP spends a ton of money and effort planting perch in other fisheries around the state but has always held steadfast to the idea that its not "feasible" to do it at canyon ferry. Is that logic or prejudice? There are 4 man made dikes at the south end that have flood gates connecting them to the main lake that look an awful lot like the "rearing ponds" they grow planter fish in. Maybe with a "can do" attitude we could all have our cake and eat it to. Grow some perch in those dikes. Trout win walleye win, remember were all fisherman/women. Yes it will be work. Wont be as easy as backing a truck down a ramp but hey it will beat all of us sitting around crying that the perch fishing isn't what it used to be and there's less forage in the lake... Lets get off our duffs and work together, quit with the old school prejudice and lets do something about it.

End of Rant..

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:10 AM »
nutinbutjiggin,
         I couldn't agree with you more. The thing that gets me the most upset is Canyon Ferry walleye were not bucket dumped. The same group who put them in Hauser is responsible. The US Army Corp of Engineers. They have admitted to accidentally releasing them above the dam. Google it.
       Now, as for FWP and the obsession over trout...is it out of line to say big money groups have the most control over what happens to our fisheries? Not going to name names...as we all know who I am talking about. The same group somehow has $10,000 for the Fresno ordeal...Just saying.
       Next...talk to some old timers about catching pike before Canyon Ferry was in place.
       I could go on for awhile...but I know that this is an icefishing forum. And I should go to a meeting to give my input. Anyways, tight lines to all.

Offline Icedeamon111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:47 PM »
Good rant lol. Fish and wildlife management can be a nightmare it's tough to make long term decisions in short term situations. Fwp needs to be better connected with scientists working on these aquatic systems. A lot of what mt does is based on old data and traditional ecology. Study, adapt, inform.
Rip a Lip!

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #40 on: Dec 17, 2014, 08:00 PM »
^yup!!!

Offline monk38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 18, 2014, 11:12 AM »
Townsend marine is the largest lund dealer in the northwest..... do you think it would be if there were no walleye in CF? pretty hard to argue with a want for warm water fishing in SW montana....

Offline Walleye cat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 20, 2014, 10:13 PM »
Thinking about heading one of the ponds tomorrow does anyone have ice up dates

Offline Icedeamon111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 19, 2015, 06:29 PM »
I think walleye in canyon ferry is awesome I just think they need to be managed and the ecosystem level effects studied we already throw trout in there why not make it a trout perch walleye fishery and provide better habitat for all! And the egra has 8 inches of cloudy ice in sittin on it right now with 25 fish caught 8 of em eater sized perch and 3 nice bows get at it
Rip a Lip!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.