The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bozeman area ponds  (Read 6042 times)

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bozeman area ponds
« on: Dec 02, 2014, 09:49 AM »
Going out to check Bozeman area ponds today. Probably won't fish too much, just going to punch some holes. I will check Cattail(Davis Pond), East Gallatin Rec, and the Bozeman Pond(behind the mall).

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bozeman area ponds
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2014, 01:25 PM »
As of noon on December 2nd, there is 3-4 inches of very solid and stable ice along the east side of the Bozeman Pond(behind the mall). I drove by Cattail off Davis, completely froze. People walking their dogs out there. I never punched a hole there tho. I never made it to the East Gallatin Rec. I was pressed for time. Unfortunately, a high of 51 degrees tomorrow in the forecast. Get cold. Stay cold.

Offline theron86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Thanks for the information Teters.  I fished Davis earlier this year, but then it warmed up.  I did well, catching trout, perch, blue gills and large mouth bass.

Offline Fishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2014, 10:44 AM »
Thanks for the update! Hoping to head out to the local ponds on Sunday, probably the EGR. Weathers gotta stay cold!!

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2014, 02:15 PM »
We are looking at low 40's and wind for two days, starting tomorrow. I am hoping that this will be the end of that nonsense after it passes. If this warm stuff does hit like it has been forecast, you got tomorrow morning to drill and that's it until another good freeze. Unfortunately, patience is going to be the key around Bozeman. Soon enough and it will be good all around. Believe me, I am going nuts.

Offline fishhunter85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2014, 04:29 PM »
I would respectfully disagree. I am fairly certain Hyalite Reservoir will hold good enough ice to fish through the weekend for sure. Bozeman town ponds however would be toast for awhile if that is what you meant. Doesn't mean I wont be drilling test holes on my way out though!

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2014, 07:14 PM »
I would respectfully disagree. I am fairly certain Hyalite Reservoir will hold good enough ice to fish through the weekend for sure. Bozeman town ponds however would be toast for awhile if that is what you meant. Doesn't mean I wont be drilling test holes on my way out though!
You are probably right about the lake, but I am indeed talking about our town ponds. Mountain lakes are different for sure. If you want to talk lakes, skip Hyalite. Snowmobile, four wheeler, or flat out hike into Big Bear Lake. Nothing comes close. No graying(that I have seen), but you will break a weenie rod guaranteed. I probably just ticked a few guys off, but if you can get in there, you deserve the fine fishing it produces.

Offline Icedeamon111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2014, 08:57 PM »
^ where is big bear located? I have fished here for 4 years and never heard of it and always interested in landin some good sized fish!
Rip a Lip!

Offline starke04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2014, 01:18 AM »
Near little bear

Offline blitzfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, forced to work.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:09 AM »
I probably just ticked a few guys off, but if you can get in there, you deserve the fine fishing it produces.
There goes the neighborhood! Jk, never fished it before but, I've had some great bites ruined by loudmouths back in WI, where there are a metric $#!+ ton more people who ice fish. Try fishing a tournament with THOUSANDS of people on the lake at the same time (battle on bago), now that's when the good bite goes down. Down the 2-holer that is! Lol
Live to fish.

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2014, 06:42 AM »
blitzfish....where about in Wisconsin? My dream location is Boulder Junction, up north near the UP. Something about 160 lakes with walleye, muskie, pike, sturgeon etc...mixed with the dense forest up there...yep...one day I will be there.

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2014, 06:55 AM »
^ where is big bear located? I have fished here for 4 years and never heard of it and always interested in landin some good sized fish!
It is up Little Bear. Be careful going in, if you do go. It is a backcountry, mountain road. This time of year, I highly suggest snowmobile, 4-wheeler, or walk-in. As for never hearing about it...we have close to 30 mountain lakes in our area. Most of them, the majority of people here have no clue of. If you can't drive right to it, it must not exist. Now...I know...hiking in everywhere is not the most fun, but even in the summer, these places are the closest to untapped you can find in the lower 48.

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:26 AM »
By the way guys...I hope you all have a safe and successful season. I post what I post to ensure public safety, and enable my fellow fisherman opportunities. I am not going to ever point you in the wrong direction. I will continue to give updates on our area. Ice reports, fishing reports, etc. No matter what I say, continue to use your own personal safety skills out there. PM mark me anytime. I have info and love searching out more info. Tight lines guys.

Offline Icedeamon111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2014, 10:30 AM »
Thanks for the tip my lips are sealed lol
Rip a Lip!

Offline Icedeamon111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2014, 11:42 AM »
I am headed out to east gallatin recreational site pond shortly I'll let us know how I do! I fish in a red Eskimo shanty if any of yall are out there stop by
Rip a Lip!

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2014, 12:04 PM »
I am headed out to east gallatin recreational site pond shortly I'll let us know how I do! I fish in a red Eskimo shanty if any of yall are out there stop by
Just coming off from there. 10 bows in an hour. 15 yards off the south east shore. Between the brush and the newer dock. Wish I could stay longer.I want to go out deeper and crush perch.

Offline Icedeamon111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2014, 03:47 PM »
I'm sittin at 18 ft near the middle prolly 10 perch and 10 bows in the last hour the ice is gtg!
Rip a Lip!

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2014, 01:34 PM »
Thanks for the information Teters.  I fished Davis earlier this year, but then it warmed up.  I did well, catching trout, perch, blue gills and large mouth bass.
On Davis? Cattail or whatever they call it? Or the Bozeman Pond behind the mall? If yes on Davis, I am curious as to when they stocked those in there...I honestly hope it is Davis as it gives another place to for panfish around Bozeman.

Offline Icedeamon111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2014, 09:05 PM »
I've done well on Davis for small largemouths and blue gills a few eaters in there
Rip a Lip!

Offline hardwater1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2014, 10:52 PM »
Where is Davis located?

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2014, 09:02 AM »
I've done well on Davis for small largemouths and blue gills a few eaters in there
Freaking awesome!!! I am super excited as I am a panfish freak!!!! Thank you for the most excellent information.

Offline fishhunter85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2014, 10:49 PM »
Ya there are good quantities of both in there have at it if the ice holds after today. I've caught a couple nice smallies thru the ice outa there. Fun to switch up species now and then.

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 08, 2014, 08:10 AM »
It is just a surprise. I remember when they stocked it with big bows. I had always hoped they would add more species. That pond has great potential.

Offline Icedeamon111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2014, 02:13 PM »
I'm gonna hit Davis tomorrow. If anyone else has the time I'll be there in the afternoon in a red eskimo fatfish!
Rip a Lip!

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2014, 02:29 PM »
I'm gonna hit Davis tomorrow. If anyone else has the time I'll be there in the afternoon in a red eskimo fatfish!
I will attempt...not too trusting of the ice tho...

Offline Icedeamon111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2014, 12:29 AM »
Idk what these guys are saying the ice is at least 4"on the ponds hit gal rec today 34 fish trout suckers and perch hittin cattail tomorrow.
Rip a Lip!

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 11, 2014, 11:41 AM »
Idk what these guys are saying the ice is at least 4"on the ponds hit gal rec today 34 fish trout suckers and perch hittin cattail tomorrow.
Very encouraging. I personally have had some misfortune with a warming spell after a big freeze. Changed a lot for myself and how I view the ice....that being said...it is great to hear about good ice!! If the ice is good, I'm usually on it. So I guess I should get out and look around for myself. And I would have gone more, but 70 hour work weeks are killing everything else.

Offline Icedeamon111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 12, 2014, 04:07 PM »
I hit Davis pond or cattail (the one by trout meadows) yesterday and there's is roughly 3 inches of black ice and 1-2 of white ice. Caught like 30 tiny perch a few nice sized sunfish and missed out on 3 nice rainbows.
Rip a Lip!

Offline Dagger281

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 13, 2014, 10:29 PM »
I have heard there are some nice brood stock bows in there! On a different note, FWP stocked Glen Lake with carp, lol

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:07 AM »
I have heard there are some nice brood stock bows in there! On a different note, FWP stocked Glen Lake with carp, lol
When did they do that? Fwp is no longer in control of that pond. It is managed by the city of Bozeman and has been for a few years. If the Bozeman Beach has been ruined with trashy carp, then I do not know what to do or say. I'm sick of all this garbage.  Why can't something like channel cats be stocked? Or crappie?  If it is stocked with carp, I give it 2 years before the whole pond is garbage.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.