The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tips on Cleaning/Prepping Pike for the table?  (Read 1265 times)

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Tips on Cleaning/Prepping Pike for the table?
« on: Dec 01, 2014, 02:16 PM »
Thank you Wyoutdoors @)

How many of you guys who fish keyhole keep pike?  Any tips on cleaning / prepping them for the table?

Offline Hole Tender

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tips on Cleaning/Prepping Pike for the table?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2014, 02:32 PM »
There are some good videos on YouTube. Be patient. Your first time will take some time but it isn't that difficult. If you like pickled fish, just leave the y bone in and cut the filets into bite sized pieces. The bones dissolve. Pickled pike is a pretty tasty snack.

Offline wyoicenut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2014, 03:08 PM »
fillet them leaving the skin on, cut out rib bones, then cut into about 5" long pieces. brine overnight 1/2 gallon water-1/2 cup kosher salt-1 cup brown sugar-1/2 teaspoon all spice. then smoke them. y-bones pull out easily after cool down and your eating. smoked northern is great!

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2014, 04:28 PM »
Sorry Wyoutdoors I know this is not a report...

How many of you guys who fish keyhole keep pike?  Any tips on cleaning / prepping them for the table?

best video I have seen to date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM3wAgBmeNU
Don

Offline msmith1956

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2014, 06:14 PM »
I was shown that method years ago in Canada and forgot how it was done due to lack of northerns to practice on. Then I moved to Pine Haven and couldn't remember how it was done, thanks for refreshing my memory

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2014, 06:33 PM »
Excellent video, thanks jopes!

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline mrotho2002

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • true
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2014, 10:42 PM »
Great video that's how I do it except I go electric, makes it real easy for boneless after a little practice and there isn't a lot left behind.  I also agree with the pickled put it on some crackers with butter and great snack I do about twenty lbs a year of it and don't get sick of it plus it can sit in the fridge for quite a while, but other than that deep fry off the back fillet sliced about an inch thick makes great nuggets. I usually split the fish up like that and works pretty well for me. Have a pretty good recipe for the pickled fish if you like just pm me.
Good luck and enjoy?
Team walleyice

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2014, 11:04 PM »
fillet it out like a bass or blue gill fillet behind the gill and out the tail. now with skin on cut out the ribs then with skin off face belly towards you skin side down  feel the y-bone along it make a slice 1/4 inch down along the top of the y bone then in a j-pattern follow the bone out the toward the dorsal fin using multiple length wise slices. same multiple length wise slices cut on the bottom of the bone straight down... belly still faces your stomach skin side down grabbing  the "y" bone and peel out when done you can get another strip out of the y-bone but it is difficult to do. see there is a "v" in the why bone towards the skin like this <] were this is the why bone < and this is the skin ] cutting multiple slices along the "v" you can get another fillet out of the why bone.  but like said it is time consuming this is why i keep only the bigger pike  like 35 inch plus. any think relay in the 25 -30 inch its hard enough getting the y bones out there and fillets cause there still small fish.. you can use you tube videos and such also look up video's on poor mans lobster when to the cooking part and others when you get the chance...

Offline Fryinpan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2014, 11:37 PM »

Great video jopes...thank you for posting.  I love pike they are good eating. :P :tipup:

Offline wood1128

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2014, 04:50 PM »
Great video and recipes, thanks guys.  Cant wait to try it out.

Offline Wnthunting

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2014, 04:59 PM »
Nice video .. Looks much easier than my way .. And gets most of the meat .. I'll try it like that way soon hopefully  ;D

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2014, 05:09 PM »
Jopes' video link is the way I learned to do it in Canada in the '80s. Never looked back. Guy's right, you gotta have the right knife and once you do it a few times it gets easy...

I never soak 'em in anything other than a quick dip in evaporated milk or egg to get some flour or other crunch to stick. Wipe off most of the slime before you start and rinse well, that's all that's required for great eating
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Hunt n Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:32 AM »
fillet them leaving the skin on, cut out rib bones, then cut into about 5" long pieces. brine overnight 1/2 gallon water-1/2 cup kosher salt-1 cup brown sugar-1/2 teaspoon all spice. then smoke them. y-bones pull out easily after cool down and your eating. smoked northern is great!
X2.  Smoked some northern I caught in Canada over the summer.  It turned out very good.  I also rinsed with a vinegar/water mix before brining to clean the slime off.

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:48 AM »
   Slimers are delicious

Offline camocowboy40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2015, 01:17 PM »
That video is an excellent way to do it.

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2015, 11:42 PM »
Yes this was the best by far on filleting a northern Thanks Guys.....

Offline Goodnight

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2015, 11:44 PM »
You have just made my life so much easier!
To those who are about to fish, I salute you!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.