Author Topic: New to Canada, Need help Finding a place to fish  (Read 2671 times)

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
New to Canada, Need help Finding a place to fish
« on: Dec 01, 2014, 10:12 AM »
Hi everyone I'm new to Ice Shanty and have never been to Canada before. I am trying to book a ice fishing trip with three other friends in Ontario want to spend no more than $300 per person for the trip. I was hoping someone could give me some recommendations or might have heard of some of the places on my current list. We will be driving from New Hampshire! (United States) So far I'm considering Big Moose Camp (Lake Nosbonsing), Birch Hill Camp (lake Nosbonsing), A cottage on Lake Simcoe, Barry's Bay Cottage (Carson Lake), and Springwood Cottages (Kennebec Lake). Any advice, comments, and recommendations are welcome! Thank you!
Tight Lines!

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New to Canada, Need help Finding a place to fish
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2014, 11:59 AM »
If going to Lake Nosbonsing stay at either Birch Hill or Cozy Camp.
Never ice fished the lake but have fished it many times. Both of these places are great.
As for Big Moose Camp I've not stayed there but have met their guests many times when they came to Cozy Camp (beside Big Moose) mistaking it for part of Big Moose to check-in as no one was at Big Moose. Local reports have the owner at the local Legion Sat afternoon during prime check-in time.
As for Simcoe it's a big lake. Some area's better than others with some freezing far better than other places.
What kind of outfitter are you looking for?
Just cottage?
Cottage plus hut & transportation?
Cottage plus hut, meals & transportation?
On ice over night hut & transportation?
Also what type of fish do you prefer?

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2014, 12:19 PM »
Also when do you plan your trip for?
Weekend bookings fill up fast but mid-week bookings are far more available.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2014, 03:40 PM »
Woodsman thanks for helping me out I greatly appreciate it. I'm looking for primarily Walleye or Lake Trout a place that offers both would be great I am now heavily considering Herridge Lake as well. I'm looking for a place that offers a place to stay with hut rentals, I have my own gear so that part is not a big deal and I can provide my own meals as well. The cottage I was looking at on Simcoe was located in Georgina, the name was "Corners Cottage" in Port Bolster. In terms of planning my trip I'll be going mid-week and anytime during January but the first week would be great, i'm just not sure if the ice will be ready for huts at that time.
Tight Lines!

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2014, 06:42 PM »
Chances of finding walleye on simcoe are pretty rare, though the perch can be fantastic. Lakers on simcoe can be awesome if you have them dialed in, but also know guys that took years to figure them out.

My friend has a cottage just down the road from sunshine on kennebec, nice lake.  It does have lakers and walleye, but i have never fished it in winter. I always go in late summer/early fall and catch lots of bass and pike. 

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2014, 07:56 PM »
Elrik thanks for the help. Any Idea what Georgina is like for Lakers? not asking for specific areas just wondering how the general area is. Also do you know what the average size lakers and walleyes are on Kennebec? Thanks for all your help!
Tight Lines!

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2014, 11:25 PM »
Had a buddy catch a giant laker not too far from georgina last season while perching. Was a weird year for lakers as they were roaming the whole lake. There are some decent laker and whitefish areas georgina way as long as you have transportation or are willing to hike a ways.

Have seen one or two monster eyes from kennebec, rest in the 1-3lb range. Lakers i am not that sure about, but wouldn't expect them to be of any great size.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2014, 12:20 AM »
In terms of planning my trip I'll be going mid-week and anytime during January but the first week would be great, i'm just not sure if the ice will be ready for huts at that time.
With that time span I would cross off Simcoe for lakers. Very good chance ice in the deeper water won't be safe or even there.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2014, 07:52 AM »
do you think the ice would be good around the 12th or 16th?
Tight Lines!

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2014, 08:47 AM »
do you think the ice would be good around the 12th or 16th?
On Simcoe ice should be fine on the perch grounds but traditionally the deeper waters for lakers could still be not frozen or very thin at best.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2014, 09:49 AM »
well I'm not too interested in the Perch fishing so it looks like Simcoe isn't an option, so I'm down to Big Moose Camp, Springwood on Kennebec, Barry's Bay on Carson, or Herridge Lake.... just need to figure out who has the best fishing in January!
Tight Lines!

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2014, 10:33 AM »
As I've stated earlier that I have not icefished Lake Nosbonsing but all reports I've seen is that the fishing is on the slow side.
Don't expect any numbers of walleye. No lakers there.

Offline 05liberty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2014, 03:42 AM »
Nosbonsing can definitely be slow , have fished for weeks and have got nothing but pearch .
I have heard of some big walleye coming out of the bay that Bigmoose camp is on .
You could always drive over to Calander bay , 10 min , if Nos is slow

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2014, 09:50 AM »
On Lake Nippissing? I heard that lake has been severely over fished and produces tiny walleye?

Thanks for the help 05liberty
Tight Lines!

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2014, 12:46 PM »
You could try Bay of Quinte which has trophy walleye & there is lakes in the area that have Lakers all that are able to be reached by foot once the vehicle is parked...there are several guide services in that area also.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2014, 01:54 PM »
wingthing do you think the bay of quinte or any back lakes would be frozen by the first week of January? and could you recommend any guide services and or back lakes? That would be very helpful! thanks
Tight Lines!

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:56 AM »
The reason I never suggested Quinte is with your trip dates in the start of January, chances of safe ice and operators operating their services are very slim.
Predicted 14 day weather trend is not looking good for early ice.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/14-day-weather-trend/canada/ontario/belleville?wx_auto_reload=forecasts:%2014%20Days:%20auto%20refresh

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2014, 12:01 PM »
Woodsman I agree, I think I would need a lot of luck to make it out onto the ice by early January on Quinte
Tight Lines!

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2014, 09:48 PM »
I would say if your making the trip you'll have to pay attention to the weather. A lot of things can change between now and Jan 16th. I've fished BOQ in early Jan before. You could check out quintiefishing.com you should be able to find some guides there that also offer fishing on back lakes.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2014, 11:43 PM »
thanks wingthing I'll make sure to check it out... I might be going out with Fatal Force Outfitters with Tom Carr i"m not sure if anyone's heard of him but he seems like a nice guy
Tight Lines!

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2014, 11:03 AM »
Although I have never heard of him it looks like he fishes Lake Simcoe.
Unless you are willing to change your dates don't book for the deep water of Simcoe. It is extremely unlikely to be safe the first week of Jan.
You are planning on traveling way to far to show up to be disappointed.
The 2 week extended forecast for that area is not good for making ice in the deep open waters of Simcoe.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/14-day-weather-trend/canada/ontario/barrie
For your best bet for safe ice the first week of Jan you should look further North in the North Bay or Temagami area's.
They are aprox. 125 to 185 miles north of Simcoe.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2014, 01:28 PM »
If I end up booking with him, he said he will take me to come back lakes his "honey holes" if I end up doing something else i'll either end up on Nosbonsing,  White Lake, or Kennebec Lake..... I'll be sure to let everyone know how the trip was and upload some pictures
Tight Lines!

Offline Ice Cream Headache

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Six of us went to Nosbonsing for a  long weekend last February.   Great accommodations, nice huts, but the fishing for us was lousy.    Maybe we just had bad luck, I don't know, but we didn't catch any walleye.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.