Author Topic: snowmobile Vs 4x4 ATV  (Read 3344 times)

Offline idtrout

• IceShanty Rookie
snowmobile Vs 4x4 ATV
« on: Nov 30, 2014, 04:31 PM »
My intent is not to start a big argument over which is better, i'm just looking for your thoughts "good or bad". I'm thinking about getting either a used snowmobile or 4x4 this winter to use primarily for ice fishing. Wife says I can not have both and I should be looking for something used. I fish mainly Cascade and Horsethief so what are the pro's/con's of owning one over the other. I also do some hunting when the knees say it it ok, so i could use 4x4 for hunting but my first objective is for ice fishing.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: snowmobile Vs 4x4 ATV
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2014, 05:21 PM »
The only place I need a snow mobile is Island Park . The snow is just to deep for a 4 wheeler . Every place else the 4 wheeler is great .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline slippery1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2014, 05:26 PM »
Yep I like the 4 Wheeler you can use it year around.

Offline turdfurgeson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2014, 07:13 PM »
Ditto!

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2014, 07:15 PM »
Snowmobile is better for ice fishing.  ATV is more versatile in that it can be used year around.  Most of the time an ATV is okay for ice fishing, but I find times at Cascade when it isn't enough and the only thing useable has a track.  Same with several other lakes I fish.  If I could get anything I wanted, I'd get an ATV with tracks.  Useable on the ice any time and useable year round too.  I've had my ATV without tracks stuck several times in slush.  It's a real bummer.

Squarehog

« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2014, 07:37 PM »
I use a 2wd 250 4 wheeler and it does good most the time. I have chains and it is light so i can move it when stuck.  A snowmachine would be awesome because they can handle all the conditions and if you ice fish a lot i would recommend a snowmachine.  _

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2014, 07:49 PM »
Agree with what is being said here.  The 4-wheeler can be used year round...snowmobile not so much.  There will be times on Cascade when you cannot get around on the 4-wheeler.  Majority of the time you can get around just fine.

If you end up getting a snowmobile and it is strictly for ice fishing...pick up a fan cooled unit.  When there is little to no snow on the ice liquid cooled units will be prone to over-heating...doesn't matter how cold it is outside.

Snowmobiles are typically warmer and more comfortable on the ice while in use.  4-wheelers, even with a windshield and heated grips, are colder.

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2014, 07:55 PM »
A decent sled is cheaper than the equivalent quad.
go hard or go home

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2014, 08:01 PM »
I have a 3wheeler and a snowmobile both older than dirt.

Snowmobile: 400 enticer 2-up
Pros:
- snow depth doesnt really matter it will get you to a spot.
- 2up allows for one machine for two people.
- even on just ice, air cooled design does not need snow to cool.
- 2up and low gearing on that model allows for slow speed without burning up the drive chain/belts.
- snowmobile can go faster safer in snow.
- snowmobiles have the ability to skim water, quads just sink.
Cons:
- not as comfortable as a nice quad, lower to the snow and higher chance at getting wet.
- not all machine es are geared for hauling sleds especially slush filled sleds that are heavy.
- you better be real comfortable with your fishing buddy if you ride 2up and give him some tic tacs.
- Snowmobiles are a lot longer and awkward compared with quads, harder to trailer/load.
- not all snowmobile can have racks added for storage.
- some snowmobiles are liquid cooled and are required to have snow or slush to stay at temperature. Some are some aren't just depends on the make model and year.
- maintenance can be higher on a nice snowmobile compared to a quad, and usually takes longer to repair, tracks oil in ejection, etc.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2014, 08:24 PM »
Some good feedback here.

The snow is just to deep for a 4 wheeler.

Have seen this a few times at various places.  Most of the time you're OK with either, but when the snow gets deep it's snowmobile all the way.

If I could get anything I wanted, I'd get an ATV with tracks.

Oooh.  THAT would be cool.  I'll never have that cash.  So the thing with a track for me will be the trusty snowmobile for now.  Current sled is '06 Polaris Indy Trail 2-up.

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2014, 08:32 PM »
4X4, a good set of fitted chains, a winch or back-breaking come-along, a snow scoop, a single jack and a couple of pins to be used as "deadmen" winch anchors.
Tracks are cool, so is the cash to procure.     :woot:

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:31 PM »
I fished Cascade darn near every week for 2 seasons with a Polaris Sportsman 500HO. It always got me out to the fishing grounds and back without getting stuck. There were days where a sled would have been easier, but the ATV worked, even in fairly deep snow. You can always slap a set of tracks on the ATV and you have the best of both worlds.

Like 97sx said, sleds are a more comfortable ride on ice though. Warmer, smoother, faster. That being said, ATV's are fun during summer and for hunting in the fall.

Good luck!

Offline elkcrazy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2014, 10:48 PM »
I have both a 250 2wd with chains and an Polaris RMK boondocking sled. The 4 wheeler does good with small amounts of snow but I prefer the sled. The east side normally tends to stay real frozen on top. For some reason the west side tends to get a bit slushier as it did late last year. With scratchers down I can normally get across the lake before the engine temp starts to rise. Even so sometimes I stop for a cool down when snow is scarce. The ride on the sled is much warmer and smoother, and faster. It is easier to move to more distant locations when hunting fish.

I would tend to move more towards a sled for fishing. As mentioned one that is not only air cooled, but also has scratchers to chip up ice to keep the sliders lubricated unless you run bogey wheels. I would also look for one that has deep paddles instead of something that resembles a conveyor belt.

I remember last year pulling out 2 atv's with my sled that were buried up to the slide plate... NOT FUN. Especially when you have a firm crust in the morning and a slush fest by afternoon, when you find yourself 2 miles from the boat ramp :)

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2014, 10:44 AM »
This question can only be answered by the guy asking it really. He knows where he fishes, what his budget is, what the snowfall and conditions get to be, if he wants something for a year-round machine. Personally, I own a home in NE Wis and we see some of the worst weather in the state. For years I've run an old Arctic Cat JAG 340 A/C, but wanted something new. So I asked myself all the questions posed above and came to the conclusion that an ATV with tracks was the way to go.

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2014, 11:36 AM »
I had both and just sold my sled yesterday and agree totally with 97sx sdfishhunt and elkcrzy8....i was generally on the back of sdfishhunt's polaris and we never had issues until last years slush fest and then i was with elkcrzy8 and it was fun shooting a 50' rooster tail of slush...until we stopped :)
BOWHUNTER68

Offline elkcrazy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2014, 01:03 AM »
bowhunter, I can only imagine what that would have looked like on video......... I was glad that we were on the sled that day.... even if we did look like dumb and dumber....lol

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2014, 10:45 AM »
I would also look for one that has deep paddles instead of something that resembles a conveyor belt.

Yup for sure. I have 1/2" and can't get bigger, if you can get bigger paddles think about updating to an ice track if its mainly for fishing. You can get them new for around $500 maybe cheaper through the right dealer.

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2014, 07:24 PM »
bowhunter, I can only imagine what that would have looked like on video......... I was glad that we were on the sled that day.... even if we did look like dumb and dumber....lol
roger that dude !!! Was fun for sure!
BOWHUNTER68

Offline Idajarhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2014, 11:42 PM »
I have both, but usually just drag my gear behind me on foot.  The snowmobiles need to have snow on the ice, they are pretty helpless on glazed ice., but they make great seats.  Best for traveling long distances fast, but if ya got kids along all they want to do is ride.  The wheelers work well unless there is deep snow as discussed prior.  My favorite is driving the pickup out and sitting on the tailgate, been awhile for that.  Maybe I ought drive my little van out and cut some holes in the floor boards. 

Offline Riverwanderer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2014, 07:55 AM »
http://www.j-wheelz.eu/?ref=kolpin.eu   Floatation pods for your 4 wheeler. Adds 310 lbs of floatation for water, mud & snow. and only 15 min to put on!
Good Fishing
   Dave
<'((()))><

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2014, 10:28 AM »
I have both.  That said I don't use them very much ice fishing.  Where I fish I seldom have to walk more the two or three hundred yards.  Its not worth the hassle to load and unload snow machines for that.  The exception may be with deep snow on good ice.  Even then I may just use snowshoes.    Kiss.

Offline Riverwanderer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2014, 02:13 PM »
For $700 (which is CHEEPER than a snowmobile & up-keep) you can get these from MOTO TECH in Boise and have the best of both worlds.
http://j-wheelz.com/intro_videoindex.html  or http://j-wheelz.com/index.html
Good Fishing
   Dave
<'((()))><

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.