The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 4.5" limitations?  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Troutlife

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Salmonids rule
4.5" limitations?
« on: Nov 30, 2014, 07:17 AM »
I am trying to speed up my fishing on new waters by being able to drill more holes quicker. I already own a 6" Nils hand auger, but I want to be able to drill holes even faster. I fish for panfish mostly, with the occasional bass, trout or salmon mixed in. I am on a strict budget that is below $150 (which is why I don't own a power auger). My idea is  to buy a 4.5" Nils hand auger and use that to scout areas, then use my 6" to primarily fish from. What size fish do yall think won't make it through the 4.5"? I know that they will freeze quicker, but I'm really only trying to scout areas with the 4.5" and not fish long periods of time in them. I would be concerned if large perch (13-14") wouldn't fit through them however.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: 4.5" limitations?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:09 AM »
I am trying to speed up my fishing on new waters by being able to drill more holes quicker. I already own a 6" Nils hand auger, but I want to be able to drill holes even faster. I fish for panfish mostly, with the occasional bass, trout or salmon mixed in. I am on a strict budget that is below $150 (which is why I don't own a power auger). My idea is  to buy a 4.5" Nils hand auger and use that to scout areas, then use my 6" to primarily fish from. What size fish do yall think won't make it through the 4.5"? I know that they will freeze quicker, but I'm really only trying to scout areas with the 4.5" and not fish long periods of time in them. I would be concerned if large perch (13-14") wouldn't fit through them however.
   Might if its a male, however if its a female with eggs will be a tight fit!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:20 AM »
Seriously, how much time do you figure you're going to save? Just wondering.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:44 AM »
I own a 4.5", 5" and 6". With offset handles they all cut quick with little strain on the arms. Little more effort for the 6" but the 4.5" and 5" are about the same. The extra size of the 5" helps over the 4.5". The 4.5" are actually 110mm  (4 5/16") and the 5" 130mm (5 1/8").

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2014, 10:15 AM »
I use a 4.5" normark (maybe only 4"?)  when the ice is over about 8".  I have no problem pulling any perch through it, and have pulled lakers up to around 25-26" through, too.  LMB up to about 3# (haven't caught any bigger) pike up to 26" or so, pickerel, 4# walleye, you name it.  All these fish are accidentals, I target panfish.  I have my Xducer puck in the hole, too but it comes out to make way for the bigger fish.  The only trouble you might have with one of these larger fish is getting them turned around to come into the bottom of the hole.  And if you fish with a lure which has multiple hooks (say a jigging rap) you might be more likely to lose any fish on the bottom of the hole.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2014, 10:17 AM »
Lots of guys around here use that small of a hole. For Bluegill and Crappie. I don't like em! Freeze over to fast and if you do get a nice one. Cant get them up the hole. Stick with the 6 inch.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Troutlife

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Salmonids rule
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2014, 10:33 AM »
Seriously, how much time do you figure you're going to save? Just wondering.

When I say "fishing fast" I'm not talking about how long it takes to drill a hole, but rather how fast I am able to fish an area of water which is equal to the number of holes I am capable of drilling before getting exhausted. With the 6" auger in a lot of ice, I drill a bunch in an area, but then I am discouraged from moving to find more fish because I am exhausted from drilling holes.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2014, 01:08 PM »
I can confirm a 15" crappie will just barely fit through a 5" hole. Wouldn't try it with a 4.5".
EYECONICFISHING

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2014, 01:23 PM »
When I say "fishing fast" I'm not talking about how long it takes to drill a hole, but rather how fast I am able to fish an area of water which is equal to the number of holes I am capable of drilling before getting exhausted. With the 6" auger in a lot of ice, I drill a bunch in an area, but then I am discouraged from moving to find more fish because I am exhausted from drilling holes.

Drill - auger conversion...no longer an issue

Catchin' Fish

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2014, 02:20 PM »

Sounds like you need the drill adaptor, and use a drill to cut holes.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2014, 02:36 PM »
i got a small 5 inch lazer that i have used i knock crappie off the hook all the time casue it is a smaller hole most of all when the ice is thick the tube that the 5 cuts  you can get the right angle on them.. by the way there is a 8 inch nils at cabelas in dundee that is used for 149.99 just a head up to every one  looking for nils augers.... if looking to measure depth they make that shoot threw the ice sonar. you clean off the surface and a use a antifreeze vegetable base type anti freeze  and measure depth with it i think marcuum makes it? that will speed you up  if you drill wrong depth you wont catch right species.  any how just a thought those were 10-12 inch crappie i was losing at the hole lip...

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2014, 04:02 PM »
Made the decision to try a 4.5" Nils hand auger this season, Cabela's online price $99.99. Fish for perch and panfish, I'm sure I made the right choice for my application.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2014, 08:07 AM »
buy a 69.00 hitachi drill at lowes. Buy an adapter for 10. then send me the 70 you saved.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2014, 04:51 PM »
I would agree with the others and get a cordless drill for the 6" nils. 2 fully charged batteries and you should be able to get 60 holes or more a day. I use a 5" hole and have a hard time pulling a 14" crappie, 9" gill, or 3lb bass through it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.