The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Anyone use a core drill for ice fishing???  (Read 2535 times)

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
Anyone use a core drill for ice fishing???
« on: Nov 29, 2014, 06:15 PM »
On some science type TV show I noted they were drilling ice cores to analyze past weather patterns.  But what struck me was the core drill.  Its kind of like a very deep hole saw, doesn't pulverize or chip the ice out of the entire hole, just a circle.  Seems to me it would take a lot less energy and the core would come out with the drill head. 

What do you think?  Could we adapt this for drilling ice fishing holes?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Anyone use a core drill for ice fishing???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2014, 06:41 PM »
Usually, a liquid is used to remove the pulverized material that is between the core and, in this case the remainder of the lake/river/pond, thus making space for the drill body.

So, what liquid would you utilize for this chore ?

Water will freeze, hot water is difficult to obtain on the ice and anything else may be very toxic.

Maybe you're really on to something, but I see a great challenge and huge machinery.       :whistle:     

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2014, 07:02 PM »
I've seen that as well. It was on a bobcat, almost like a post hole drilling attachment would be only this had a hydrolic lift to get it high enough in the air. Instead of auger flighting it was a big pipe looking bit with a nasty looking end on it, almost looked like gear teeth with steel blades attached to each individual one. They didn't use any lube, just set it up and drilled through about 6 foot of ice. Took a while to get through it, but it wasn't moving very fast. When they were done they brought it up and ran a propane torch up and down the pipe and out fell a perfect 6ft core.

Probably not practical for ice fishing, as it would take you a few minutes per hole with all the steps involved.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2014, 07:21 PM »
Yup, a few minutes and a bobcat or some other power source.

As described, the magic has been created of two objects of mass, occupying the same space, to wit: the ice between the core ice and the outer wall of the bit.   As that ice is ground, a little heat could/would melt those ice shavings for clearance.

Water, when frozen, normally expands by approximately 11%, and when thawed, reduces by,    oh, never mind.     :wacko: :roflmao:

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2014, 07:32 PM »
Well I would make me an igloo with the round circles. Throw a tarp over the top and your set. No wind could harm you.
<===Lefty===

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2014, 08:05 PM »
 Drilled through alot of walls/floors with a core drill up to 6" holes - I still have slugs in a pile out back LOL. The bits were about 18" long with I think a diamond dust cutting edge.  The water was more to keep the bit cool although it did flush debris out of the cut too.  We used a portable core drill that anchored to the surface, then you had a gear system like a drill press. The thickest we drilled through was about 1' poured concrete that was a b----. Don't know if you could adapt the bits dowm to 1/2 chuck or not, but looking at core drill bits on ebay it's cheaper to buy a Nils....LOL

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2014, 04:31 AM »
I've looked around and consider that nothing currently available is practical at this point.  But - here is my idea.  Use cylinder with shallow flutes (1/2"?) on the OD and ID.  The cutting blades (2 or 3) would be chisel type aligned with the direction of spin, and cut a circle just wider than the overall thickness of the cylinder wall and the ID and OD flutes.  I think the core would just be loose after drilling with this rig.  Wouldn't require any coolant or water to flush the chips - the flutes will take care of that.  Maybe the cylinder and flutes could be made of hard plastic, like schedule 40 PVC?  Might be hard to get the hole started.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.