Author Topic: Hennepin Canal  (Read 3075 times)

Offline crazy4crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
Hennepin Canal
« on: Nov 29, 2014, 05:46 PM »
One of my bluegills.

The ice was 4 1/2 inches in the thickest places. It was a lot of fun to watch the bass come in and whack our Swedish Pimples. Ice didn't melt much today. I was out from 9:30 until 3. Bluegills liked Atomic Ants or flashy jigs tipped with a wax worm.
I'm what you would call an ice fishing freak.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Hennepin Canal
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2014, 09:45 AM »
Awesome!!! looks like the kids had a great time!

Catchin' Fish

Offline fish333

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2014, 01:36 PM »
Nice pictures!! I have got to get my stuff ready. I'm always late to get started. Keep the pictures coming-there are great!!! :tipup:

Offline Robby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2014, 06:51 PM »
Hello! No offense my friend but all your posts are going to bite us all.in the hind quarter.  The droves will come down from Chicago and who knows where and soon there will be 100 people on the ice and no fish tone caught.  See you out there and good luck.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2014, 08:48 PM »
droves aren't going to come to catch 6" gills in 4' of water on 3" of ice at izaak waltons also considering within 3 days the ice will be wrecked. 

Offline illinoisicer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2014, 10:37 PM »
droves aren't going to come to catch 6" gills in 4' of water on 3" of ice at izaak waltons also considering within 3 days the ice will be wrecked.

Thanks for the Pics and info Crazy.. Wasn't planning on hittin the canal but might take a ride out there one day just because!

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2014, 10:44 PM »
NICE PIC'S

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2014, 12:34 PM »
Thanks for the Pics and info Crazy.. Wasn't planning on hittin the canal but might take a ride out there one day just because!

by all means do...2+ hours to fish sketchy ice and catch dink gills sounds like a good use of time.    come one come all. 

there is no reason to discourage a guy from posting pics/reports.  thats what this place is about. 

"hey i'm catching fish at this spot!"
"hey dont' tell people about that spot!"
"don't tell people about the hennepin canal?"

Offline cubanice27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2014, 06:47 PM »
Great report!! Looks like alot of fun. Im getting stir crazy over here waiting for some ice near chicago. I might just hit a warm water discharge for carp because I havent fished in a month or so and Im about to lose it!!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Hello! No offense my friend but all your posts are going to bite us all.in the hind quarter.  The droves will come down from Chicago and who knows where and soon there will be 100 people on the ice and no fish tone caught.  See you out there and good luck.

Come on Robby, lighten up a bit. I don't think a mass of people is going to hurt the canal at all, I think you'll be just fine. Most don't want to fish for the tiny bluegill and bass anyways. Its a community hole, has been and always will be. Everyone in the area knows about it, not exactly a secret spot.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline wjs0311

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2015, 01:54 PM »
Anyone go further up the the canal on the outskirts of Geneseo?

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:04 PM »
Come on Robby, lighten up a bit. I don't think a mass of people is going to hurt the canal at all, I think you'll be just fine. Most don't want to fish for the tiny bluegill and bass anyways. Its a community hole, has been and always will be. Everyone in the area knows about it, not exactly a secret spot.

Far from hurting it we hammered on it last year. One of the old boys that counts was over 2000 gills cleaned and we are seeing the results this year. Better size!!!

Offline wjs0311

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2015, 09:48 AM »
Thinking about heading there tomorrow.

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2015, 03:46 PM »
I think we heading to Sauk with shotguns chasing tree rats!

Offline waterfowler04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2015, 07:59 AM »
Thinking about going here tomorrow sometime never been before. Any reports on ice conditions or fishing reports?

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2015, 07:32 AM »
last I heard it had been slow and only dinks at sheffield visitors center.
<br />

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2015, 08:09 AM »
I like the fact that youngsters are enjoying ice fishing but I see ZERO safety gear. At the very least they should have there ice picks. Just saying.....
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.