The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Which shelter to buy?  (Read 1946 times)

Offline qadventure

• IceShanty Rookie
Which shelter to buy?
« on: Nov 29, 2014, 02:00 PM »
I have been researching popup shelters but have seen alot of mixed reviews.  I have narrowed it down to the Fatfish 9416 or the Clam Bigfoot xl6000.  Both are the large double sized units. Any particular experiences good or bad with either one?  How easy are they to set up and more importantly to get back in the storage bag?  Thanks!

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Which shelter to buy?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2014, 02:15 PM »

I have the Clam and love it. It worked as a great popup shelter for elk camp this fall too!!

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2014, 02:43 PM »
The positives lean toward the Fatfish; it comes with removable/replaceable windows (very important when you have cracked windows and its time to replace them), the best ice anchors on the market, and the large mesh pockets for storing your clothing on warmer days (a real nice useful option), stronger zippers, as well as Eskimo's customer service that is as good as it gets in the market place.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2014, 03:24 PM »
Not trying to make your decision more difficult but you might want to check out the killzone igloo. I see nothing but positive reviews on their website. They are also a fraction of the price of the other 2 shelters.

Offline linedout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2014, 03:52 PM »
I would also recommend the eskimo. I have had mine two season with a lot of use and no pro
blems.

Offline Born 2 Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2014, 06:12 PM »
I'm gonna vote for the Clam for the same reasons as everyone else...I have had zero issues with it. Its big with plenty of room to drill a bunch of holes.  I think both are good shelters. Maybe you should ask yourself if you like blue or red!!!

Offline blitzfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, forced to work.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2014, 08:09 PM »
Another vote for the clam. I got a Kenai and love it plus u can get it online for 200!
Live to fish.

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2014, 11:30 AM »
I would thro in checking the shappell's, when I did my research last year they used a heavier duty fabric.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2014, 02:55 PM »
I would thro in checking the shappell's, when I did my research last year they used a heavier duty fabric.

Shappell doesn't make one in the size he is looking for. He is looking at twin hubs. The ones where you can park a car in.

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2014, 03:51 PM »
Shappell doesn't make one in the size he is looking for. He is looking at twin hubs. The ones where you can park a car in.

http://www.shappell.com/iceshelters/icehouse6000thub.html

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2014, 03:58 PM »
Clam has made mistakes in the past, but they do hub shelters better than anyone.  I've owned several and they are far superior in hub reliability than Eskimo in my experience hands down.

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2014, 08:31 PM »
Love my big foot. Father in law has the Eskimo and it is also a good shelter. They are both pretty similar to me.  If you go clam you will have to buy the Eskimo anchors to replac the junk ones that clam sells.

Offline ken k

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2014, 05:12 PM »
I have the fat fish 949i its a good shelter but a little small for 3 guys.

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2014, 06:08 PM »
Clam has made mistakes in the past, but they do hub shelters better than anyone.  I've owned several and they are far superior in hub reliability than Eskimo in my experience hands down.

If I can ask, why so many?

When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline BFM KCCO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2014, 08:37 PM »
I've been fishing out of the Clam Denali TC and I love it. It folds into a sled it's attached to and very mobile. I like it so much I've told myself the fabric stretching around the poles is not a big deal. I'm in central Montana and the wind is ridiculous! The fabric has stretched to the point where I can see light coming through. With that being said it's still hands down the best ice house I've had, from board on board shelters to pop up. I would purchase from Clam again I would only be weary setting it up in the wind and trying to ride it out. On a side note I have buddies who swear by the Eskimo pop ups but both will condensate.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2014, 06:41 PM »
Welcome to the shanty BFM.  It seems that everyone is going to say what they have is the best because that is what they have and they like it.  I Am on my second Eskimo and can't complain.  I had a Quick Flip 2 for 10 years and now a  Quick Fish 6.  I still have the quick flip.  It is so worn and ragged though, plus it is starting to take on a musty odor from being left outside too many times.  Honestly, I think they are all good, depends on what color you like.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2014, 06:54 PM »
I'm starting to think which shanty to buy are starting to be like discussing which flasher to buy. You are going to have your Frabill, Clam, Eskimo, Otter, Shappell, etc. And your Vex, Marcum, Humminbird, Lowrance, etc. What helped me with my shanty decision was being able to see it in person. This way you aren't buying blind.

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:34 PM »
Why so many?  Because resale is easy and I want to find something I want.  Its why my wife gets paranoid every anniversary!

Offline shortgame247

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:53 AM »
Good info

Offline MAEINC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2014, 01:18 PM »
Appreciate all the info

Offline allweather fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2014, 05:46 PM »
So I've also been torn between clam and eskimo and my deciding factor is the fabric thickness.  Clam is 600 and eskimo is 300 has anyone really noticed a difference in durability? 
Here fishy fishy...

Offline kyle1982

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2014, 05:48 PM »
I have a clam bigfoot 4000 thermal i have had it for 3 years it is starting to wear out but i have used it a bunch pretty good shelter

Offline maxville

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2014, 06:07 PM »
 @)I have a clam summit (6' x 8') pop up. Works great for 2-3 people for lots of room. Been using it regular for 3 years now.

Offline Crestliner 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2014, 06:22 PM »
I have a frabil magnum flipover and love it . its a little heavy to pull when there is snow on ice though only downfall to it. superfast setup and easy to move

Offline Gundy7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2014, 08:22 PM »
I have the catfish and I really like it. To be honest any shelter is better than no shelter in windy cold weather. I do like the removable windows for ventilation and heat control. I think most of the shelters have that now. For me ease and speed of set up were the most important for me and the fat fish was great for that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.