The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Nils on Clam plate  (Read 15516 times)

Offline nubote

• IceShanty Rookie
Nils on Clam plate
« on: Nov 28, 2014, 09:41 AM »
Did a search. So far, I found a guy welded up a lathe chuck, and another guy took it in to a custom machine shop. I already have the adapter to go drill to hand auger. Has anybody else found a way to get the nils on clam plate?
Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!

Offline IceKing4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • How Ya' Hittin' 'Em Fishing Club
Re: Nils on Clam plate
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2014, 10:51 AM »
Yeah, I'm pretty curious too. I have the plate on order and it should be here either today or tomorrow. I want to pair it up with my 8inch Nils.

Offline nubote

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2014, 11:33 AM »
I was hoping to make something out of random sizes of pipe, but nothing really fit. I may have to use the drill adapter and nils drill and sell the clam plate.

Offline IceKing4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2014, 01:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure that I am going to end up going to a machine shop and have them Make me an adapter. I really don't know what else to about it.... Well besides buying a different auger. I just don't see that happening though. As far as I am concerned, these is no such thing as a better auger than the one I have right now.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline nubote

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2014, 04:16 PM »
see if this will work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nils-Ice-auger-cordless-drill-adapter-/171471307070?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ec7c813e

That won't get the clam plate onto the nils. This is a knockoff of the adapter I already have.

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2014, 05:15 PM »
I ended up making an adapter that worked really well, after i posted this picture i ended up cutting off the end of my auger shaft  and made another adapter that will fit my Nils, its just like the one you get when you buy a clam plate

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=293553.0

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2014, 07:14 AM »
I really don't know why Clam doesn't offer adapters for different augers. I have have converted my Nils to the Clam plate. I used a 2/12 " x  3/4 " black iron pipe use for gas piping. By cutting aprox 5/16 " out of the diameter and by rounding over a mandrel and reforming it fits excellent. I then welded 3 - 1" set bearings together ( these can be purchased at most hardware stores) The nice thing about the set bearings they have threaded set screws which will allow you to lock on to the Nils. I then welded the newly formed pipe to the set bearings. I did the same set up to adapt my 6" mora to the Clam . I tried them  out yesterday and they both work great. Although I own a Sheetmetal shop and have access to the equipment and material and am retired and do enjoy tinkering  this was a lot of work.
If I had to do it again I think I would probably job it out to a Machinist. I got to say the Clam plate adapter, Milwaukee fuel , and Nils auger worked awesome. I think I'll leave the old 3 hp Eskimo on the shelf for a while.
Oops! is too late.

Offline IceKing4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2014, 01:50 PM »
I just dropped my 8" Nils and the shaft from the Clam plate off at the machine shop today. I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Offline QTeam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2014, 09:46 PM »
Nils adapter available  - directly to drill. May give this a shot.
http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Ice-Master-Ice-Auger-Power-Drill-Conversion-Kit
[img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2n1c5jc.png[\img]

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2014, 04:09 PM »
I just dropped my 8" Nils and the shaft from the Clam plate off at the machine shop today. I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

let us know how it turned out

What drill you running with this setup

Offline IceKing4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2014, 09:42 AM »
It should be done today. I'll keep you posted. I'm going to run it on a Milwaukee Fuel drill. Boy that chuck was hard to remove. lol

Offline IceKing4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2014, 04:35 PM »
Well, it seems like it should work out just fine. A simple sleeve to marry the two together. I got it all together with the drill then noticed the bearing on the clam plate was cocked. Took it all back down and straightened it out..... Put it all back together and tada! The bearing is cocked again. Whatever yo, I'll run it as soon as it isn't 50 degrees out and we get some ice. Until then I'll just wait it out.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2014, 06:42 PM »
Well, it seems like it should work out just fine. A simple sleeve to marry the two together. I got it all together with the drill then noticed the bearing on the clam plate was cocked. Took it all back down and straightened it out..... Put it all back together and tada! The bearing is cocked again. Whatever yo, I'll run it as soon as it isn't 50 degrees out and we get some ice. Until then I'll just wait it out.

You got a pic? I just ordered an 8inch Nils off of cabelas gonna try it on the clam plate.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2014, 08:36 PM »
Agronomist you have quite a bit tied up into cutting a hole in the ice.. I remember a sweet running model 30 video you made where is that machine?
Fishin red lines

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2014, 07:37 AM »
Agronomist you have quite a bit tied up into cutting a hole in the ice.. I remember a sweet running model 30 video you made where is that machine?

In the garage 😄👍, hey a guy needs back ups. 😱

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2014, 06:59 PM »
get some tubing with a one inch inside diameter and two bolts to fit the clam plate and nils auger .  and make a adaptor with two holes like this one for my lacko  that slip over the nil's auger and the other slips over the shaft of the clam plate. then just run the bolts threw them.  i got to get smaller bolts to use on mine.. by the way i used 1 inch emt or electrical metallic tubing  to make the adaptor about 8 inches long

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2014, 01:17 AM »
Thanks,

I'll have to do that when the nils comes.

Offline nubote

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2014, 10:09 AM »
I'll get some 1 inch emt  and give it a try. Did you insert some kind of sleeve to go over the plate connecting rod, because it's much less than 1 inch OD?

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2014, 10:22 AM »
get some tubing with a one inch inside diameter and two bolts to fit the clam plate and nils auger .  and make a adaptor with two holes like this one for my lacko  that slip over the nil's auger and the other slips over the shaft of the clam plate. then just run the bolts threw them.  i got to get smaller bolts to use on mine.. by the way i used 1 inch emt or electrical metallic tubing  to make the adaptor about 8 inches long

Problem is you end up 5 ft tall.

Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline IceKing4

• Team IceShanty Regular
And there it is.
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2014, 02:05 PM »

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 08, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Looks good , hope its works out for you

Offline nubote

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: And there it is.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2014, 07:42 AM »

Looks perfect. What did it cost?

Offline IceKing4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 09, 2014, 12:14 PM »
He wacked me for 70 bucks.... Kinda pricey, but still cheaper than buying a different auger and an extension.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 09, 2014, 11:47 PM »
He wacked me for 70 bucks.... Kinda pricey, but still cheaper than buying a different auger and an extension.

OMG! Serious?

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2014, 01:28 AM »
Does anyone know if Ice Gator's Nils adapter will work on the clam plate?

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2014, 04:28 AM »
OMG! Serious?

I would say  that's sounds about right for pricing, without materials 70.00 is an average for one hour shop rate cost

Offline IceKing4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:47 AM »
OMG! Serious?
Yeah. $60 in labor and $10 in parts. I should've taken more pictures of it when it was all apart. He put a decent amount of work into it.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2014, 10:32 AM »
Does anyone know if Ice Gator's Nils adapter will work on the clam plate?
Disclaimer: I don't have one so I don't know for sure... but I'll try to help you out anyway.

The Ice Gator Nils adapter won't work with the clam plate.  Ice gator lists adapters for every clockwise auger bit except for Strikemaster and Eskimo power auger bits.  That's because IGs don't need an adapter to be used with Strikemaster or Eskimo power auger bits.  They all have the same output shaft, which I believe is 7/8" non-threaded.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2014, 03:45 PM »
I'll get some 1 inch emt  and give it a try. Did you insert some kind of sleeve to go over the plate connecting rod, because it's much less than 1 inch OD?

i just threw it on top of the nim rod connecting rod it seems to work good i got to wait to play with the clam plate i got coming Saturday.. i am sure you could sleeve it easily if needed  like brass, tube ,dom, or some thing ..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.