The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ion with reverse  (Read 929 times)

Offline sturboy

• IceShanty Rookie
ion with reverse
« on: Nov 28, 2014, 09:25 AM »
I see the new  ion ice augers now have reverse, to shoot the slush down the hole so you don't have to use your skimmer. If that feature works well, it would be great for those of us with bad knees. Any of you out there have one and can report on how useful reverse is? Thanks.

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: ion with reverse
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2014, 06:44 PM »
Not 2 hours ago I was in Rhinelander at the brand new Dunham Sports & I saw one on the shelf & the only negative I have heard on these is the 550 price tag..
I mean , I'd love to ditch the gas but I just can't justify it at that price..
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2014, 06:46 PM »
When u go thru with any auger, just hold it in the hole in drilling mode and it will" flush" the hole, very little left in hole.  Do it all the time with buddys auger!!

Offline sturboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2014, 09:04 AM »
That's a good point, Gill. Last year ions were $500, this year I always see $529. They had five of them at Hayward Bait, so I asked if they'd go for $500 right now. Of course not. It's early in the season and they'll sell them all. Good thing they said "no" because I don't think I can justify spending 500 on an auger.

Although I had a plan to get an ion and hook it in series with 10 deep-cycle batteries, and see if it would actually suck walleyes and crappies right out of the hole without dropping a line. Maybe the corkscrew part would fillet them, too. A guy's gotta avoid becoming complacent with old techniques.  ;)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2014, 09:22 AM »
Although I had a plan to get an ion and hook it in series with 10 deep-cycle batteries,

120 volts DC? You might want to start with 5 Batteries in series and see if the motor can handle 60 volts (it is like 48v, I think)... Just make sure some one is video taping it, I want to watch it from the safety of YouTube!  LOL!

Offline sturboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2014, 01:18 PM »
Whoa, thanks 'Nut--I didn't even think about the danger. Better have the wife do it the first time... ;D

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2014, 05:55 PM »
The Ice Show in Blaine had several dealers selling the new Ion for $500 tax included. I am guessing the show in St. Paul will be the same if anyone should happen to be going there. Also dealers like Thorne Brothers honor show prices at their store.

WS

Offline puddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2014, 12:59 PM »
A guy at work just got a new ION with reverse. We tried it out on sunday, the reverse does a pretty good job flushing out your hole you will have a little slush leftover but nothing you cant fish through. I like the soft start(not sure if there's a name for it) where when you pull the trigger it comes on softly to help start the hole which is a nice feature as it doesn't have a pilot bit. He got his on cyber monday for 479 shipped.
You can't catch fish in the parking lot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.