Author Topic: gps  (Read 1957 times)

Offline wjr1244

• Team IceShanty Regular
gps
« on: Nov 27, 2014, 08:54 PM »
Looking into getting a gps for fishing.  What do you all l use?  Navionics?  If so what versions?  Any info or reasonable opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: gps
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:01 PM »
Garmin 650 Montana this will be the first year for it I have put all the maps I  can find in it ?
fishing is hard can I go home now

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:11 PM »
I bought the navionics app for my phone. Works really well.

Offline icecleate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:13 PM »
X2

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:26 PM »
Unfortunately they don't have that for android  :-\

Offline IceJunkie0602

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:33 PM »
Unfortunately they don't have that for android  :-\

What don't they have for android?

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:40 PM »
What don't they have for android?
Navionics with depth contour. Atleast I've been unable to find one.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:49 PM »
Good topic.  I am clueless with GPS units, never used one in a car or one of those stand alone hand held units -- so I have no idea what to look for.

Is there anything basic that I can just push a button and title when I am on a spot so I can return to the same spot in the future?  I don't want any maps.

I have Motorola Droid Maxx, so it would be nice if there was a way I could do it on my phone.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline IceJunkie0602

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2014, 10:01 PM »

This is my post of lake maxi from my android.  The pins are where not to fish. 

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2014, 10:30 PM »
what app is that on your phone?

Offline IceJunkie0602

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2014, 10:38 PM »
what app is that on your phone?

Navtronics.  Here is a close up of bass.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2014, 10:48 PM »
Ah...got it...thought someone above said it was not available for android so I was confused.

Offline IceJunkie0602

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2014, 10:50 PM »
They did. Thats why I chimed in.

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2014, 01:59 AM »
I was gonna say.... I have it on my android. Even if you dont need the maps you can still use the gps on your phone and mark waypoints with this app. Way cheaper than buying a handheld unit and in my experience it works just as well.

Offline wjr1244

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2014, 07:27 AM »
I see  in the google play store on my phone that there is a free version of navionics. Is it worth having or should I purchase a version?  If purchasing one which is best in your opinion guys?  All I really want to do is track my movement and show way points.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2014, 07:34 AM »

Navtronics.  Here is a close up of bass.
There is a girl fishing one of my favorite waypoints, according to your screen.  ;D

I use a garmin 76c, and it holds a ton of waypoints, doesn't kill my phone battery, plus it's easy to transfer waypoints from the bird as well. Oh one more thing... It floats!
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2014, 08:15 AM »
I have a Garmin Oregon 450T.  Great for marking tree stands and marking waypoints in Canada when I have no phone signal.  Waterproof.  Plus, I mount it on my Glide Lite and take it with me in the shanty. 

Found it for cheap a couple years ago in the Father's Day sale from BPS, Cabela's or something like that.
That's some tasty iced tea.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2014, 08:54 AM »
I have a hand held Garmin as well, which I never use.  But "HT" did bring up a point.  Navionics is great, but it will drain your battery. 

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2014, 11:17 AM »
I have a hand held Garmin as well, which I never use.  But "HT" did bring up a point.  Navionics is great, but it will drain your battery.

Yep, phones aren't supposed to be hanging out in below-freezing temps either. If you're gonna use your phone, I would use it sparingly and keep it warm. The cold will only increase how hard your phone has to work and the battery will only get worse. Just something to think about.
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Offline wjr1244

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2014, 12:49 PM »
Good point about the phones, but wouldn't a garmin come with a service charge or a plan to pay for monthly?

Offline spring bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2014, 01:14 PM »
Good point about the phones, but wouldn't a garmin come with a service charge or a plan to pay for monthly?

If you wanted the contour maps and stuff, you would have to pay for a chip like a Navionics chip or something assuming its not included. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are included with the unit. I know the GPS we use is almost as old as I am. Doesn't have lake maps but it still can pinpoint your location. I guess the question is whether or not you are trying to use your GPS just to pinpoint places you catch fish so you can replicate success, or whether you are using it (and the maps) to try and find fish in the first place.
Proud member of the Shiners!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/McLovinLife3

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2014, 01:36 PM »
Yep, phones aren't supposed to be hanging out in below-freezing temps either. If you're gonna use your phone, I would use it sparingly and keep it warm. The cold will only increase how hard your phone has to work and the battery will only get worse. Just something to think about.

Speaking of cold... How was that cold river water on your phone lol!

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2014, 01:37 PM »
I never have any issues with it draining my phone battery. But I never fish HUGE lakes either. So I guess it just depends on the application! I also put my phone in a ziploc baggie whenever I'm fishing.

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2014, 01:38 PM »
I may use the nav. apt. on my phone or tab.to get me in the general location but it doesn't always work and might be off some times by 100' or more its just not accurate enough in some locations  depends on cell coverage my garmin has not let me down yet that's why I made the upgrade this year.
fishing is hard can I go home now

Offline ridingerboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2014, 02:04 PM »
there are some free apps for your phone,like Hansel and Grettel.They help get back to the same spot,however they are NOT real reliable.They did work for me last year though.
crankin holes and droppin lines

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #25 on: Nov 28, 2014, 02:08 PM »
I never have any issues with it draining my phone battery. But I never fish HUGE lakes either. So I guess it just depends on the application! I also put my phone in a ziploc baggie whenever I'm fishing.

Using your phone outside in cold weather will drain the battery.  I don't think it depends on the app as much as how much/often you are using it. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2014, 02:13 PM »
I may use the nav. apt. on my phone or tab.to get me in the general location but it doesn't always work and might be off some times by 100' or more its just not accurate enough in some locations  depends on cell coverage my garmin has not let me down yet that's why I made the upgrade this year.
     A lot of places if off by 100' or so , wont work if looking for a "hump" in the middle of lake, if u see what I mean!!

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 28, 2014, 06:00 PM »
Was it you that told me phones worked better once they have soaked at the bottom of the river for a few hours?

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 28, 2014, 06:04 PM »
To contribute to the thread I just started using a GPS last year and I love it.  I always tried to line up a few landmarks on shore but you never get as close as where you think you were the day before.  Even if you go the day before with a little snow or wind that blew the snow over your old holes it's very hard to get on the same spot without some GPS help.  Last year I had a few landmarks for gills and pike and when I got on the GPS spot the fishing was good.  Another great thing about a GPS is that it you can use it year round like a lot of my other ice fishing gear.

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 28, 2014, 06:07 PM »
I use navionics on an old iPhone year round more sparingly probably in the winter due to less moving than other times of year but I also use it to troll and set up on spots to sucker fish for musky in pretty cold and while I realize cold is in fact hard on a battery I've never had any problems with it but I'm not phone crazy and do little else with it especially while fishing other than a pic or 2. It's not always 100% exact but I'd hate to be that reliant on anything that it was that important to be perfect. Maybe that's why I catch less fish than sometimes I'd like or than some pics i see on here but I usually catch solid buzz those days that are slow so maybe its ok that it's a couple feet off sometimes

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.