Author Topic: Tanaka help!  (Read 9683 times)

Offline the fisherman guy

• IceShanty Rookie
Tanaka help!
« on: Nov 27, 2014, 01:02 PM »
A friend of mine picked up a Tanaka TIA 305 that wasn't running, and I am working on getting it ice ready, it's his first power auger.

I don't have any experience with these power heads, but they seem simple enough. What I can't seem to figure out is why this power head doesn't have a primer bulb or choke. What am I missing?

I have emailed Tanaka USA for a Owners Manual, as I can't find one available online.

The spark is good, plug is clean. Air filter is clean. Carb is clean. Tank is clean. Lines look good, no gumming. 

Getting fuel into the lines without a bulb, wouldn't happen by pull starting. Did get it running, with starting fluid and filled the lines with fuel. Runs good, but when cold, will not start. A choke would certainly help.

Also would like to know more about the unit by reading the manual. Any advice you can share would be great, thanks.

Offline gofish33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gone fishin
Re: Tanaka help!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2014, 01:21 PM »
You probably have a TIA 350, not a 305.  I just found lots of links on Google for TIA 350.   

gofish33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2014, 01:32 PM »
Thanks gofish33, I have tracked down a Parts Manual for the TIA 305, but can't find an owners manual. It's definitely a 305, as the parts schematics match the unit I have, and the manufacturers sticker.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2014, 07:58 PM »
After some digging and help from forum members through PM's, I have learned a lot about these power heads.

There isn't a choke assembly, basically to choke the carb, rotate the air filter housing 45deg to the left. Once the auger starts, rotate it back.

I called Yetman's in Winnipeg, and they were fantastic at helping me out. I spoke with Ryan, and he didn't have any information off hand, but he took my number and said he'd call me back. He did, and had plenty of information to help me out. Yetman's carries and can order parts for Tanaka power heads, and were awesome to deal with.

http://www.yetmans.mb.ca/

Thanks everyone for your help.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2014, 08:34 PM »
After some digging and help from forum members through PM's, I have learned a lot about these power heads.

There isn't a choke assembly, basically to choke the carb, rotate the air filter housing 45deg to the left. Once the auger starts, rotate it back.

I called Yetman's in Winnipeg, and they were fantastic at helping me out. I spoke with Ryan, and he didn't have any information off hand, but he took my number and said he'd call me back. He did, and had plenty of information to help me out. Yetman's carries and can order parts for Tanaka power heads, and were awesome to deal with.

http://www.yetmans.mb.ca/

Thanks everyone for your help.

Ive been in the equipment industry for 21 years (albeit I'm not a wrench) and have never seen or heard of that design.  If it wasn't Tanaka it'd be pretty suspect.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2014, 08:54 PM »
Yes, correct. Rotate the air filter counter clock wise until it stops (about 45*) to start.
Turn back clock wise to take the choke off when running.
Pretty good system and a great little power head.
Parts are getting pretty hard to find for the though.   :(

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2014, 10:55 PM »
That looks awsome, so cool, whats the displacement, tanaka...arent those for nils...thats one hell of a first auger
go hard or go home

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2014, 06:21 AM »
You guys figured it out. I had one. Those are a crotch rocket. Massive rpms.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2014, 05:21 PM »
Awesome, great to know that there are other guys out there that have these augers.

We got it running even better now on Opti oil, starts first pull and drills like a champion. It came with a Nils flyte, and the blades are fairly sharp but it doesn't cut like I think it should with the dual blades. I've seen Mora flytes on other power heads, and they cut very very well.
If anyone is selling a 8" or 9" clockwise power flyte, drop me a PM please.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2014, 07:36 PM »
Because they are such a small displacement low HP motor they are geared really low.
The have more torque but lower speed because of this.
That said, I drills holes just fine with my 10 1/4" Strikemaster auger with single ripper blade. :)

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2014, 02:24 PM »
Great to know that your TIA 305 will drill a 10" hole. I was thinking it may be too much for the power head. A single blade would be less torque on the power head.

Looking at upgrading the Flyte to a 8,9 or 10".

Thanks for all of your input guys!

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2014, 03:04 PM »
after stepping up to the newer tanaka 270 im super impressed with this tanaka rig you have pics of. I would love to find one of these machines. Great find.

Offline debreeze

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2015, 09:34 AM »
I have two of these power heads.  They're really great and mine have proven to be very powerful and reliable.

I actually fix small engines, as a sort of hobby.  In my little 'circle', I charge for only the parts and not for the labor.  I try to keep the circle small, (friends, family and certain acquaintances) but sometimes the word gets out and I have to re-establish the limits of my 'circle'.

Now, to my point.  I had been looking for an owners manual, for literally YEARS.  Not even Tanaka USA has it on file.  In fact, the representative told me that if I were to come across one, to send them a scanned copy, so they could add it to their library.

I was cruising the internet, looking for hard to find parts for this model of auger and I had happened to notice you were looking for a copy of the owners manual.  I happen to have found a new old stock manual, which I had purchased, along with many other Tanaka manuals.  It is without any markings or stains.  I have copied it, but can't scan it, at this time, due to my scanner being on the fritz.  I anticipate being able to scan it soon, though.  When the scan becomes available, I would like to send it to you.  I think you would be pleased.

The manual does not go into the level of details like what kind of grease to use in the gearcase, but the representative told me they recommend lithium grease.

All I can say about this model is buy the usual replacement parts, while you can.  Air filter, gaskets, the band which holds the air intake cover in place, etc.  Also, please post any place you find which has the hard-to-find parts.

One more thing.  Is there a place, on this website, to upload a manual, such as this?

Happy fishing.

debreeze

Offline Davey why

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2015, 10:17 AM »
I have this 305 tanaka ice auger it is 0ver 20 years old   i modified the choke assy. to a lever type
because the original one broke  it is a tough machine --steel gears in transmission  to start i turn on
choke   throttle wide open 3 pulls starts every time   let engine idle to warm up    after drilling holes let
engine idle to cool down a minute  the carb was not fitted with a primer bulb
I  converted a 8''  hand auger with chipper blades to fit this engine  we have 24'' to 30'' of ice here this year
and it drills like going thru butter
amsoil 100-1 oil mixed at 50-1   synthetic ep -1 grease for gear case 
Most parts are obsolete  for the 305 here in Sask . Can.

Offline fishaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2016, 09:41 AM »
if someone has a printable manual for this auger, that would be great. I picked one of these up a little while ago, and love it. Solid auger. had the friction plate in the recoil go, and had a heck of a time finding a new one. ended up finding a local shop in Winnipeg that had 2. Bought them both.
Go fish.

Offline madarcher999

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2017, 04:16 PM »
Are you still looking for a Tanaka TIA-305 manual? I just purchased one of these off a neighbour and he had the manual still. It doesn't have a ton of information, but for what it is worth I would be happy to scan it in for you.

Offline icegoer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2017, 10:50 PM »
I am looking for broken Tanaka tia-305 for parts. My gear case bottom half cracked. Anybody can help?

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
go hard or go home

Offline Davey why

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:47 AM »
Tanaka 305 most parts are  obsolete  cannot buy recoil starter parts any place 
There are misc. parts around   I have  one after 20 years still is good   do not
pull rope all the way out when starting  i drain fuel all out and run until it stops
 after season   have never had a problem starting   

Offline icegoer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:30 PM »
Tanaka 305 most parts are  obsolete  cannot buy recoil starter parts any place 
There are misc. parts around   I have  one after 20 years still is good   do not
pull rope all the way out when starting  i drain fuel all out and run until it stops
 after season   have never had a problem starting

That's true. I have checked various websites and dealers. The part I need is very much obsolete. That's why I am looking for a broken or running but unwanted unit. My engine is running great but it was used in the past for cutting post holes - a lot of stress for the machine. Just tried it on the last week ice and bottom part of gear case housing has snapped. The unit I could use for parts is my only hope I guess.

Offline Sidepork

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't horse em!
« Reply #20 on: Aug 14, 2017, 09:10 PM »
Not sure if anyone will see this.  I just picked the TIA 305 up in trade.  Runs great, just looking for the manual.  I saw that someone in this thread had one.  If you could PM me I will send my email address.  Much appreciated!
Nick

Offline debreeze

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:07 PM »
I have a manual for the TIA-305.  I will do my best to get it to whomever wants it.

The file is almost 30Mb.

Offline Fishwacker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 23, 2018, 01:26 AM »
I don’t have any information for the 305. Just wanted to chime in that there is a app for smartphones called “scannable” that works very well for documents. Blue butterfly looking app.  I stumbled across it when purchasing my home. Scanning through my home printer would have taken a very long time for all the documents. This app makes excellent scans and simple as taking a picture and email it to yourself to copy to desktop. It’s a free app. Hope I didn’t clog up the forum topic.

Offline debreeze

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2018, 06:50 AM »
Send me your email address if you want a scan of the Tanaka TIA-305 manual.  I’ll do my best to accommodate.

-D

Offline kenmore63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2019, 10:52 PM »
Me as well.  I just picked up one of these units tonight.  If I could get a copy of the manual that would be awesome.

Offline Toes67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:52 PM »
Debreeze

Any chance I could get a copy of the manual please?

Offline GtotheB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2020, 10:53 PM »
Just picked up a 305 up here in the great white north. If I could get the manual that would be great!

Beers on me if you’re up this way looking for some walleyes.

Offline N2wild

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2021, 08:41 PM »
I would definitely be inteyin the manual as well as I have come across about 10 of these in various conditions. Trying to get one or two running well but a manual would be nice as well!

Offline fishaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2021, 09:23 AM »
Stull interested in this manual as well. Picked up my second one. Also if someone knows of a place I can get new gas tanks, that would be much appreciated.
Go fish.

Offline Sidepork

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't horse em!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2021, 08:29 AM »
PM me your email and I will send a copy over.

Regards,
Nick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.