The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: LOWRANCE ELITE SERIES  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Gatorslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
LOWRANCE ELITE SERIES
« on: Nov 27, 2014, 08:02 AM »
Been thinking of upgrading from my old x67c unit to the Elite 5/7. Just wanted to pick the brains of some of you guys who own one and/or have experience using one.

Whats the CHIRP all about? Does either unit have the different screens (flasher mode, Split screen, etc.)? Hows the functionality of the unit? Battery life? How can I talk my wife into purchasing said unit??? :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

Thanks for any info, guys!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: LOWRANCE ELITE SERIES
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:32 AM »
I have an elite 5 on the boat and running on my ATV for GPS only. It's a couple years old so it doesn't have the "Chirp" have not read about it. It will use batteries as it keeps the GPS on track and time etc.. I have mine wired to the ATV with a cut off switch so it can't kill my battery. I've use the flasher on an older Lowrance and it was great easy to use.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline TightLineDreamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:53 AM »
hey Gatorslayer,  i have a 2012 elite 5 and love it. and i would get the new 5x-chirp but we just had our first child.  I switched out the 7ah battery with a wrecker 10ah battery w/ post adapters  that gives me a full 18hrs. and keep the 7ah for a back up.  the bag fits in a bucket but i keep it out on my sled with gps running to find my hot spots, after i found my spot i turn off the gps to save a bit on battery.  I love the dual screen mode, but it don't use the flasher mode much.  you can scroll back to see your jigging pattern when you get a bite and attempt that same pattern in hopes for another one.  Over all i like very much and it is very useful for me there are more pros than cons.  And i had to give up  a gun on my bucket list to buy this unit, but i got the gun the next year. Good luck.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2014, 03:58 PM »
The high end sonar has gone to the CHIRP technology.  As I understand it, the transducers send out and receive a range of frequencies, not one or two like the units we are used to.  They can provide much more detail and clarity, especially when it comes to picking predatory fish out of schools of baitfish, etc.  How well this translates to a $300 unit, or the fishing most of us do here is another question.....

Offline Gatorslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2014, 11:00 AM »
Thanks for the input guys! Keeping my fingers crossed my overwhelming hints will find this sonar under the tree this year. Also, congrats on the new addition to the family tightlinedreamer! :clap:

Offline MrHawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2014, 07:45 PM »
I have an elite 7HDI on my boat.  I love it.  Haven't played with anything fancier, so I don't have much to compare it to.

Offline fishnhunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2015, 05:59 AM »
I just got the elite 5 chirp ice machine. Used it once but im majorly impressed! My friend has had one since dec so i knew what to expect. The base price was $599....BUT..lowrance gives a $100 rebate and i got it at bass pro for 10% off so all said and done i walked out for $440 ! Now this idnt the 5x...(5x has no gps or chartolotter capabilities) i really dont need those but there is no rebate on the 5x so getting the 5 was a better price overall. And if ever get a boat or i sell it etc the resale will be higher.
   About the unit::: awesum!! Gone are the oldschool days of the noisy hmming flasher! This thing runs forever on the supplied 12v battery, the ice pack kit is great everything stows away nicely and protected. The chirp feature is great as it sends out both 83 & 200signals and disposes of the weak signals therefore giving great target separation. My tiny jig shows up perfectly in 38' of water yesterday...when fish come in they are so visible and you can move yur jig to or away from them with precision. This machine makes it a blast to go jigging now... its so clear you dont need to xoom in on bottom 10' etc...watch the entire water column and catch that cruising trout at 10' under ice when he zips across screen and you reel up to him and BANG..like i did yesterday. Then drop back fown to bottom huggers. Ill take pic of screen next trip and post what yur looking at...im not a "gamer" (video game person) but if this was one i would play it!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.