Author Topic: C&R  (Read 4100 times)

Offline thomas brett

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: C&R
« Reply #30 on: Dec 02, 2014, 07:50 AM »
EVERY THING I CATCH GOES BACK. I KNOW OF A SMALL POND THAT PEOPLE KEPT ALL THE BIG BASS THEY CAUGHT.GUESS WHAT? NO MORE BIG FISH THROUGH THE ICE.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 02, 2014, 10:14 AM »
I keep fallfish, golden shiners and suckers.

Offline NewGuy123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 02, 2014, 03:45 PM »
I normally release everything i catch through the ice, with a few exceptions
1. Family or i feels like a fish fry   then i will keep sunnies, bluegills, and yellow pearch.
2. small fish are becoming over populated
one year one of my ice fishing buddies told me that they had just "relocated" thousands if not 10 thousand fish ( mostly sunfish)  into the lake
to attempt to help restore the balance  a  massive fish fry was held by both of us
and sad to say   we did leave a few dozen small fish out for the racoons.
But i will always release anything that isnt invasive or something that falls into category 1

Offline BWB-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 03, 2014, 12:28 PM »
I am strictly a sport fisherman while on the ice and have returned every fish I've caught...ever!
I know a lot of people who keep an acceptable number of fish for the dinner table and I'm OK with that. I haven't tried any freshwater fare...yet.
 ;)2

Oooops!!! I stand corrected. Saxmatt's post reminded me that I do keep some bait fish for Pike fishing. My bad!
But I'm not sure that is what this thread was directed at...
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago". Zane Grey

"The water you touch in a river is the last of that which has passed, and the first of that which is coming; thus it is with time". Leonardo DaVinci

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 03, 2014, 03:19 PM »
I will release almost everything me and my kids catch, very few perch, trout, or crappie every once and a while come home with us. If you don't eat it then release it!

Offline schaffman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:49 PM »
I mostly fish for panfish and perch during ice season and keep enough so that my family has fish at least once a week.  Trout I'll keep to smoke.   When I catch the occasional pike or bass, those go back in the water asap.  Summer time, it's all C&R. 

Offline frenchy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • addicted to bass fishing
« Reply #36 on: Dec 05, 2014, 05:55 PM »
Awesome replies guys, more C&R bass+pike guys than I thought! panfish are okay to keep in my opinion because there are just so many of them and they usually don't get to be a huge size, they're all just average.
Bass fishing is #1

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #37 on: Dec 05, 2014, 08:49 PM »
Frenchy good post...we target the huge / above average and it is plentiful. If it is legal it is up to the angler to mount,eat or send back.Good luck to all the CT group this upcoming season on any species and be safe.

Offline deeej3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2014, 06:43 PM »
Catch and release only for this guy. Too many ponds getting fished out  :-\
Rippin Lips

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 12, 2014, 06:48 PM »
When I was at Erie twice last year, I saw tons and tons of giant walleye harvested. I really don't understand that. I mean the smaller walleye's taste better in my opinion not to mention the tremendous amount of eggs that were wasted when they could have helped bolster the population.

I would guess that in those two days, we released over 20 walleye's weighing over 7 lbs. We ended up keeping 4 fish each in the 17 to 22 inch range.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 12, 2014, 07:58 PM »
When I was at Erie twice last year, I saw tons and tons of giant walleye harvested. I really don't understand that. I mean the smaller walleye's taste better in my opinion not to mention the tremendous amount of eggs that were wasted when they could have helped bolster the population.

I would guess that in those two days, we released over 20 walleye's weighing over 7 lbs. We ended up keeping 4 fish each in the 17 to 22 inch range.

I saw a video from last year that almost made me sick these guys were keeping 4 man limits of giants, I'm talkin smallest fish in the pile was 8 lbs... Now I keep fish... Quite a few of them I like perch and crappie and walleye and I will keep enough for a couple meals then when I want more ill keep again and in the summer pegal fluke and sea bass don't leave the boat along with legal shark and tuna... But my father grew up in Ohio and I've fished Erie from a boat quite a few times and caught good fish and Erie has probably the best and strongest walleye population in the county but of something isn't done for a slot limit or reducing daily limits ( I'm pretty sure it's 5 fish over 16" I wanna say but don't quote me on that) that place will become a lifeless waste of water. That video was one of the few times I was ever actually disgusted with someone legally keeping fish

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 13, 2014, 06:59 AM »
Yes, I saw that video too and it was quite disturbing.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #42 on: Dec 14, 2014, 06:02 PM »
Almost all the fish in the 8lb + range are way past their best producing yrs.,In a fishery of that size it does not impact, the average size of fish caught. it boils down to 8lb fish produce alot of meat for one fish,Your right about small fish are better table fair. If they are legal to take,the beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #43 on: Dec 14, 2014, 06:08 PM »
Wait till those guys start complaint this year that they can't find any big fish anywhere....
An 8 pound fish is not way past it's producing years. It may make fewer eggs but it does a way better job at being a parent fish than a smaller, younger fish.

Offline schaffman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:31 AM »

Apparently Lake Erie has abundant supplies of Walleye and Perch.  It not only sustains sport fishery  but commercial as well - From an April 2014 news story - • The walleye Total Allowable Catch (TAC) in Lake Erie was set at 4.027 million fish, a 20 percent increase from the 3.356 million limit set in 2013. Ohio’s share, based on a formula linked to water surface, will be 2.058 million walleye. Ontario’s quota was set at 1.734 million and Michigan’s at 235,000.

• The yellow perch TAC was set at 11.081 million pounds, a 9 percent decrease from 2013. Because of the way perch management units are set up, Canada will have a slightly higher allocation than Ohio.

Any year’s TAC, to a large extent, determines sport fishing bag limits. Based on the 2014 TAC, bag limits for yellow perch and walleye are slated to remain unchanged from 2013.

That means an angler in the Ohio waters of Lake Erie can expect to keep six walleye daily between May 1 and the last day of February and four daily between March 1 and April 30. Walleye less than 15 inches in length must be released.

A daily limit of 30 yellow perch is expected to remain in place when Lake Erie regulations are finalized.

“I don’t see us in a bad place,” said biologist Jeff Tyson, Lake Erie programs administrator for the Ohio Division of Wildlife.

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #45 on: Dec 18, 2014, 05:08 PM »
 I release most every thing I will eat a few trout each season mostly looking to catch a state record Crappie Yellow perch or even Blue Gill but I am not against releasing a Walleye in lake Crisco

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 19, 2014, 10:39 AM »
i only keep the following.perch,walleye,trout,crappie.everything else goes back down the hole.only fish i mind about people killing are stripers and bass.

Offline bassaddict 21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 19, 2014, 01:34 PM »
I Don't keep any fish. It made me sad to see an old guy leaving the Thompson dam twice last year with about a half  dozen smallies each time and they were all 14''-16'' which are  better size ones for that place.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 20, 2014, 03:02 PM »
Always release the better sized catch, kibbies or not. Love to harvest the mid sized fish YUM. Cant stand bucket biologists who leave fish for the gulls...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 20, 2014, 10:30 PM »
I practice responsible harvesting-that means the majority of all species I catch go right back in the drink every time; however I also keep fish as I like to eat them so I have guidelines of responsible harvest I follow-First always release the largest gamefish in the waterway you are fishing-exception to the rule is stocked fish in waterways in which they do not hold over. Like the trout I kept today. If it was in east twin; crystal; highland; or mashapaug it'd have an excellent chance of holding over& getting more giant; but in black pond meriden low d.o. and high temps. prevent trout from holding over so c&r of trout in a waterbody in which they die-off in summer is pointless-Large wild gamefish however; are adapted to their environment+ will sustain excellent genetics in the ecosystem- so its' always advisable to release them back and only keep smaller specimens of the same species sporadically.-Also larger wild gamefish have higher amounts of accumulated biotoxins as compared to smaller, younger fish of the same species from the same waterway.-Even panfish desrve to be selectively harvested; allowing the largest specimens to be the successful breeders maintaining the size quality of the fishery. In fact in some waterbodies; selective harvest is actually conducive to improving the size profile and quality of a fishery in an overpopulation situation.-Hope that didn't make anyone's head spin.
Bottom line- keep some-but be responsible- them graphite mounts look just like the real thing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.