Author Topic: C&R  (Read 4096 times)

Offline frenchy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • addicted to bass fishing
C&R
« on: Nov 26, 2014, 03:06 PM »
Hey guys just a quick question about catch+release

I know there are a bunch of long time ice fisherman and some big die hard hard-water ice guys on here (i'm one of them)

I was just wondering how many of you catch and release your catch? For some reason I go on here all the time and i always see pics of people killing nice sized bass, pike, pickerel etc.... I'm all for keeping panfish like sunnies, perch, and maybe even crappies... But I release my catch 100% of the time if its a big fish or even a small fish, only keeping panfish 1% of the time if i REALLY want to...

Just wondering, because it doesnt help the fishery if youre gonna keep all the decent to large breeder bass, definitely doesnt help the bass fisherman in the summer ... :)

Bass fishing is #1

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: C&R
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2014, 03:44 PM »
Bass always and most anything else... White perch on the other hand, I invite to dinner!

Offline frenchy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2014, 03:54 PM »
Bass always and most anything else... White perch on the other hand, I invite to dinner!

good to hear! ive never had white perch, they aren't in any of the lakes i fish ! how are they compared to yellow perch? better?
Bass fishing is #1

Offline Grizzzz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2014, 04:57 PM »
The only species i regularly keep are yellow perch.  Sometimes i'll keep a white perch or 2. Tastes like striper

Offline skeet190

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2014, 05:01 PM »
im a catch and release guy for sure...  im on the water around 100 times a year and catch and release is very important...  100% bass and pike go back in the water...  i will keep a few trout, gill, perch, and crappie during the ice just so i can have fresh fish a hand full of times during the year... 
Eat, Sleep, Fish

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2014, 05:14 PM »
The way I see it (based on the region and the waters I fish) most panfish like perch, sunfish and crappie have a much shorter lifespan than the larger predators like bass and pickerel. That's why panfish breed so prolifically (many eggs=many small fish=larger well-fed predators).
I have only kept perch(white and yellow), sunnies and trout over the years, and that was rare when I did.

I only keep it if I intend to eat it.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline frenchy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Nice to see fisherman of CT and MA C&R the bigger fish of the state, I look around this site alot and many people i see keeping pickerel bass and pike just throwing them in the snow. I can see keeping trout because those are pretty much stocked just for us to keep.

Cant wait for some ice! 2 weeks maybe in the colder spots
Bass fishing is #1

Offline ctice84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2014, 07:50 PM »
I release all fish unless they are gut hooked. I only keep trout one trip per ice season or unless a family member asks for some fish. I started using circle hooks 100 percent of the time and have almost eliminated gut hooked fish.

Offline NorthEastFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2014, 07:54 PM »
I'm 17 and only catch and release unless someone I know it family wants fish, or if the fish won't make it cause a bad hook set or something along the lines. Otherwise, I do go to other angler nearby and ask if they would like the fish and if not it goes right back where it came from! Trout though, are so difficult to deal with in cold weather that they usually are needed to bring home but they're mostly stocked just because people want to eat them anyways. When I'm keeping fish it's either trout, yellow perch, or salmon so when I fish for other species it's just for the quick picture and memories.
Team CT 203
YouTube Channel: NorthEastFisherman

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2014, 09:10 PM »
good to hear! ive never had white perch, they aren't in any of the lakes i fish ! how are they compared to yellow perch? better?

Yes!

Offline bigpikekid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2014, 08:52 AM »
I catch and release everything, but I'm not against keeping bigger panfish for a little fish fry now and again. I'm happy to see most of you feel the same, because I've seen enough people keep any fish that comes through the hole, no matter what the size limit is
"No man is an icicle to himself, but each a piece of the whole cube."

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:43 AM »
I release most of what I catch. A couple perch to scramble up with some eggs for breakfast , or a couple crappie. I really don't care for stock trout, although Kokanee are another story. But I don't really target them.  All bass and predators go back.

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:46 AM »
I personally do not eat fish....just don't like the taste so I release all fish I catch.  Only time I will keep something is if I catch a very small bluegill or crappie to put on a tip up as bait which is not often.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:52 AM »
I usually release any healthy fish. If it's going to bleed out from a deep hook set I'll bring it home and a couple times a year I bring home some yellows and crappie for a fry.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Farnz1611

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2014, 01:05 PM »
I release mostly everything. I keep the occasional perch for pike bait.

Offline Grizzzz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2014, 03:53 PM »
I walked out onto a small pond 2 seasons ago to find a man and his 2 young sons fishing. They had about 20 mixed perch,bluegills and crappie sitting on the ice. They started packing up when i got there and the father told me i was welcome to have the fish because they weren't going to take them  >:(
it was a warm day and there was a little bit of water on the ice. I took the time to revive every single one of those fish and they all swam away. Did they survive? who knows, but i couldn't let them sit there on the ice. Hopefully they made it.
DO NOT KILL what you WILL NOT EAT !
What is wrong with some people?

Offline JohnnyJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2014, 04:38 PM »
I walked out onto a small pond 2 seasons ago to find a man and his 2 young sons fishing. They had about 20 mixed perch,bluegills and crappie sitting on the ice. They started packing up when i got there and the father told me i was welcome to have the fish because they weren't going to take them  >:(
it was a warm day and there was a little bit of water on the ice. I took the time to revive every single one of those fish and they all swam away. Did they survive? who knows, but i couldn't let them sit there on the ice. Hopefully they made it.

Would have been intresting to call him out on it. Not in a condescending way but more a teachable moment for the kids.
I like calicos while ice fishing. But only harvest them a few times of year. Bass always go back along with everything else. Cleaning fish isn't as fun as catch and release.
Bite on my line
The man known as JohnS

Offline Grizzzz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Sometimes i get PO'd and it's better to keep my mouth shut lol

Offline JohnnyJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2014, 05:03 PM »
Haha, I hear ya grizzzz.
Bite on my line
The man known as JohnS

Offline NorthEastFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2014, 06:21 PM »
That's great to hear, I'm sure those fish are thanking you at their dinner table!! Not sure if he would be punished but I would've definitely called the dep and told them about it or talked to the man cause that's a waste and unneeded.
Team CT 203
YouTube Channel: NorthEastFisherman

Offline frenchy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2014, 07:55 PM »
Wow, great reading all these comments guys. Glad us in CT know how to keep a good fishery. ;)
Bass fishing is #1

Offline spanky1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2014, 08:28 PM »
I release virtually everything I catch through the ice.

Now saltwater is another thing entirely. I have a freezer full of fluke, tog and sea bass that will get me through the winter with some delicious healthy meals!
Don't give up, don't EVER give up - Jimmy V

Offline fluxy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2014, 10:51 AM »
I agree with total c and r however there is a time and a place for taking fish. I will release any pike or bass caught. Sometimes it is necessary to kill some fish if the small fish r over populating, if u do thisnu should eat the fish and not just leave them on the ice can't stand when people just kill them for the sake of killing them.

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2014, 03:43 PM »
Nothing like a perch and walleye lunch on the ice. C&R is a great practice but even more important is how the fish are handled while in our care.

Offline frenchy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2014, 08:33 PM »
Nothing like a perch and walleye lunch on the ice. C&R is a great practice but even more important is how the fish are handled while in our care.

Agreed, things like how to properly hold a bass, not letting them flop on the ice when its very cold out, quick photo then release, etc.
Bass fishing is #1

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 29, 2014, 07:20 AM »
I probably release 95% of fish caught, sometimes a quick pic first. like many of you, the fish I do occasionally keep are usually yellows or crappie for dinner.

Hawk

Offline icefishingct98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bring on the ice!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 29, 2014, 02:58 PM »
I'm like the rest 95% of the time c and r but i will have an occasional crappie perch or bluegill but that's just 1 or 2 fish, also a 18- 24 inch walleye is going home for dinner as well
I live for pike,bass,crappie,pickerel, and anything thats big and swims! Can't go jigging without my vex!

Offline BWB-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2014, 10:39 AM »
I am strictly a sport fisherman while on the ice and have returned every fish I've caught...ever!
I know a lot of people who keep an acceptable number of fish for the dinner table and I'm OK with that. I haven't tried any freshwater fare...yet.
 ;)2
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago". Zane Grey

"The water you touch in a river is the last of that which has passed, and the first of that which is coming; thus it is with time". Leonardo DaVinci

Offline baitbig

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bigbait
« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 2014, 02:29 PM »
I  personelly never keep any of  fish that  ive posted.  I fish with a few different guys and I bet in past ten years we ve only  kept trophy fish  about fifteen, 20lb  or bigger .

Offline Pike Guy Matt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:17 PM »
I couldn't agree more. I always release all pike and bass but what kills me is when I see guys let a pike flop around on the ice for 10 minutes while they run around to get their pliers,scale, camera, etc only to release a fish that is most likely going to die. Always go to the hole prepared with everything you need to unhook the fish, weigh it, take a few quick pictures and let it go.  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.