Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake Cornelia  (Read 10035 times)

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake Cornelia
« on: Nov 26, 2014, 12:33 AM »
Yellow bite is on. 6-8 fo. North Shore/cut bait

Offline whip2

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Cornelia
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:14 PM »
Any size to them?

Thanks
whip2

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 PM »
Not huge. 7-8" Ice needs a few days, Cracking all around me today. Didn't even mark one today, had a bucket full of them last week. Small jigs with waxies or cutbait seem to be key. Tried spoons, plastics and minnows when on a hot hole and they refused, dropped a waxie and they hit it right awa

Offline mrmike113

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:53 AM »
Thinkn about trying it friday.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2014, 11:44 AM »
Bring a spud bar and be very careful, went out last night and got about 70 yards north of the bridge before it started to crack under my feat, NE corner still very thin

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2014, 01:06 PM »
7" of ice? If it's that thick the only cracking would have been it building.  Are you sure it's 7"?

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2014, 01:43 PM »
Probably referring to the yellows being 7-8"

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2014, 03:02 PM »
Reading through it after your post  Anderson that's exactly what it's referring to

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2014, 05:49 PM »
My bad, fished on about 4 inches, started cracking at I'd assume was 3 or less. Hoping this cold weather thickens it up..7" was refering to Yellows lol

Offline mrmike113

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2014, 10:45 AM »
U aillways need to be carefull not to go to close to the bridge allways thin ice.

Offline whip2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2014, 04:50 PM »
Thanks for your info Bockster.

whip2

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2014, 05:28 PM »
Just pulled off. 15-17 fo. Cutbait....37 Yellows, Guessing  4-5" ice

Offline mrmike113

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:52 AM »
Fish it friday 10 nice gills and 9 yellows

Offline notime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2014, 05:46 AM »
how is the ice up there

Offline mrmike113

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:54 AM »
Went out yesterday its only about 4'' inchs and going fast.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2014, 06:54 PM »
Went out yesteday and today...Very spotty...not much shoreline access, Spud bar broke through a few times...3-4" ice...70 yellows kept overall with a few fat bluegills released...Ice is melting fast, prolly won't be safe tommorw...needo a few cold days

Offline bert29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2014, 08:09 AM »
going to be back in Madrid area Xmas day and on 26th. Was thinking of driving north to Cornelia on 26th to fish. Any ice thick enough to stand on and fish?
thanks.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2014, 10:34 AM »
Should be good by then. South Shore was open on Wednesday...I went out 2 days ago, 2 inches off the campgrounds in front of campground...Walked out a little and spud bar went through about 20 yards out...Thank lord for cleats..Just off the jetty was 4-5" with a few thin spots. Ice is very spotty, bring a spud bar, I'll be attempting to head out today and I'll see how it is

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2014, 05:46 PM »
any news from today Bockster?  trying to decide between fishing for yellows or trying to pop a few geese

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:05 PM »
Never went out. Called the DNR for ice report and they thought it was safe, called me back 5 minutes later saying the lake opened back up and standing water on the remaining ice. With 35-40 degree weather for the next week and rain tommorow I'm assuming we won't have safe ice for another week :'(

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2014, 08:42 PM »
 :'( sad to hear that, thank you for the intel though, looks like tomorrow the rods will be put away and the shotgun will be pulled out!  ;)

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2015, 06:05 PM »
Good ice today along with 60 yellows...Fish the deeper water

Offline whfishman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2015, 06:08 PM »
Any size to the yellows?
Wayne

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2015, 07:19 PM »
Typical Cornelia size. Right around 7". Few 8+ but majority being right around 7...They still make the pan though  ;D Guys at the ramp I talked to had a 5 gallon bucket with a 2 man limit of really nice gills. Said they were fishing the brush piles on the north shore.

Offline jdw84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2015, 12:29 PM »
how thick of ice?

Offline Zugunruhe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2015, 10:06 AM »
We measured an even 9" yesterday afternoon.  Fished from 3:00-6:30 caught tiny perch, yellows and a few bluegills, two of which were 8" rest smaller.  Kept the two larger bluegills and some yellows.  Yellows are the most annoying fish on the planet in that lake- cloud the screen, stare at the bait, steal the bait.  They finally disappeared after sunset and we were able to work some different fish.  Boys got into some small crappies (<6") that at least provided after dark entertainment.  We were fishing in 16' southwest of the quiet water bridge.  There were at least a dozen other setups all fishing the same general area.

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2015, 11:08 AM »
Fished the lake Friday and Saturday afternoons.  Between the two days we kept around 130 yellows.  Only cleaned about 45 of them.  They were 7-8".  The rest found the middle of the field where I dump my fish guts.  I figure if the DNR isn't going to kill the place off I will try and do my part and keep every yellow I catch.  To bad as well.  Used to catch some real nice perch in this lake.

Offline ddotmirb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2015, 02:32 PM »
It's sad for sure....Corny used to be a decent lake for perch now its just full of them little yellows and whites. I used to open water fish it their are some nice eyes in the lake but with all the yellows to feed on tough to catch em. It also FULL of bullhead and carp. I hate to say it but Wright county needs to bite the bullet and kill it off and start over.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 04, 2015, 03:48 PM »
Cornelia used to be really fun to ice fish before the (bass). This is not the only lake this is happening too. Look at the okoboji area yellow, everywhere. Lost Island got a stocking of these yellows from the local (idiot) bait shop owners kid. Lost Island may be OK if walleyes and northern can control them as for the okoboji area who knows. Hate seeing these (bass) in lakes they shouldn't be in. Every yellow goes somewhere but back in the water I catch.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2015, 11:47 PM »
Skunked today...13" Ice...Few people out. Kept 7 yellows...Drilled 20-25 holes, marked fish in most of them...Lots of followers just refused to hit. Tried every jig color/size/bait combination you could name and still very little luck. 2 other groups out there...One had a mixed bag of a few panfish and the other had a couple catfish. Camera was filled with 3 inch yellows...Anyone still target eyes out there?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.