Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice Conditions  (Read 2071 times)

Offline sitandfish

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Conditions
« on: Nov 25, 2014, 10:45 PM »
Anyone fishing safe ice here in Iowa since this weekend? I was hoping to get out tomorrow.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Conditions
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2014, 11:55 PM »
Northern half of the state should be good to go.  Single digits last nite to get the shore ice refroze.  Just watch out if its a bigger windswept lake.  Stay safe! And tight lines! :tipup:

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2014, 02:12 PM »
I was thinking about heading down to a spot near the Mississippi tomorrow morning. I'm curious of the thickness. I will report back if i make it! Even better would be if i caught some fish!!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2014, 04:03 PM »
What area? Might be able to tell you if its safe or not, I know a couple guys who have made it out but only on 2-3" today.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2014, 11:14 PM »
Got out on the Mississippi today. Shore was melted away a good ways but once i found a way onto the ice infound the fish instantly. One of my best days fishing. Didn't keep any blue gills then the last hour i was out i caught 11 nice sized crappie! Wish I would of kept a few blue gill now. Be very careful out there ice was very variable!!! 2-6" is what I found. Good luck and tight lines :)

Offline quackjr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2014, 09:07 AM »
Looking to go north to try and fish this weekend. It may be a bit early to say, but do any of you guys on the upper Mississippi or waterloo area have good ice after these last few good cold nights? I know people were fishing before the warm up over the weekend, really don't wanna drive from se iowa and not be able to go!  pm me if need be. Thanks in advance.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2014, 09:16 AM »
I'm going to check some ponds here in IC Thursday morning. I am thinking it may have been just cold enough the last couple days to undo the damage done by the warm weather before then.

I would not bother with any lakes south of Waterloo.

As for the backwaters, I would like to hear what they are like from Dubuque on north. Much south of there I doubt you would find any safe ice, but who knows.

Offline wmcox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2014, 10:42 AM »
I have found a couple areas south of bellevue and sabula that have 3-4" of solid ice. Check two spots that im gonna hit later this week and they were all solid. I have been catchong some nice perch and crappies. Still need to use caution this early in the season regardless. Hopefully it gets cold and stays cold to freeze up my walleye hole.

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2014, 04:13 PM »
I was on 4" on clear strong ice east of Council Bluffs today.  It is a well shaded and sheltered pond.  I was just as surprised and you are to have 4 inches.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2014, 07:05 PM »
5 to 6" of good ice where I was today.   Sac County

Offline sitandfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2014, 11:22 PM »
Been fishing 6+ inches about 40 mins north of ames

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac