Author Topic: New jigs while waiting on ice.  (Read 1605 times)

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
New jigs while waiting on ice.
« on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:35 PM »
I have been working on some new jigs the past few days.  I finally have them finished.  I took some ideas from A-bomb's method.  These are just caddis hooks wrapped with a lead wrap sizes 12 & 14.  Some of them have a tungsten bead on top.  Colors were all derived from my wife's fingernail polish collection with the exception of the glow versions.  I used the cg glow paint over a basecoat of kilz.  They seem to glow really bright so i'm excited about trying them out after dark.   I made some similar ones last year, but saw someone else made jigs that had the tungsten bead on top.  I thought maybe I could fish the bugs without the added split shot above it.  I will just have to see how they work once we get some ice.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New jigs while waiting on ice.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:37 PM »
How many beads did you bounce off the floor? I hate putting those on.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:39 PM »
I opened up a brand new package and proceeded to dump about 3 of them off of my toes.  I thought i  could find them again..... Nope, not a chance.

Offline ridingerboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:42 PM »
Those look good,I hope the nail polish will hold up,I have tried that some and it seems after a few fish the paint starts to flake off.I had to go to jig paint to hold up in the long run.
crankin holes and droppin lines

Offline ValparaisoGirl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:46 PM »
Nice!  That's one of the patterns I have in mind for an upcoming scouting craft.  I'm also thinking colored glass beads would be pretty in place of the lead wrap.  Not sure if that would provide enough weight though.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:52 PM »
I clear coated with some nail polish.  I hope they hold up decent, but will just have to see.  For the most part, I just enjoy making things myself.  And even better if they happen to catch a fish.  I end up giving a most of them away every year. 
I have also been thinking about gluing one some small plastic bodies behind the tungsten bead instead of a lead wrap (the kind with a tail).  There is also some type of rubber wrap that can be wrapped around the hook in place of the lead wrap.  The cool thing is the sky is the limit when your making them yourself. 

ValpoGirl - If you put a tungsten bead on ahead of the glass beads you may end up with enough weight.  You could always fish a small split shot above it as well if necessary.  I try to stay away from the added split shot if possible though.  Sometimes when the jig is so small or light though there isn't much choice.

Offline ridingerboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:55 PM »
I clear coated with some nail polish.  I hope they hold up decent, but will just have to see.  For the most part, I just enjoy making things myself.  And even better if they happen to catch a fish.  I end up giving a most of them away every year. 
I have also been thinking about gluing one some small plastic bodies behind the tungsten bead instead of a lead wrap (the kind with a tail).  There is also some type of rubber wrap that can be wrapped around the hook in place of the lead wrap.  The cool thing is the sky is the limit when your making them yourself. 

ValpoGirl - If you put a tungsten bead on ahead of the glass beads you may end up with enough weight.  You could always fish a small split shot above it as well if necessary.  I try to stay away from the added split shot if possible though.  Sometimes when the jig is so small or light though there isn't much choice.
I agree its a blast to catch fish on a jig you have built.Where did you find tungston beads? I have been using glass beads.Tungston would show up better on the vex I think.
crankin holes and droppin lines

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:06 PM »
Those came from PTO in Fort Wayne

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:59 PM »
Those look pretty good..why don't you send a few to me and I'll let you know the performance of them..every product needs feedback...Lol!! :tipup: :tipup:

Offline lcshtsm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2014, 10:43 PM »
I have been tying a little also.  Who set up that jig swap last year?  I would be interested in participating this year.

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2014, 12:27 PM »
nice work, I've always had good luck with the beads, tighter line between you and the fish

Offline levi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2014, 12:58 PM »
I also use sz 14 look allot like mine i use a plastic head and lead weight also use fingernail polish on them.when I'm done i put several coats of head cement on the intire fly.
My wife says if I go ice fishing one more time shes going to leave me, God Im going to miss her.

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2014, 01:27 PM »
They look awesome!

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2014, 01:52 PM »
Look great!

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2014, 03:07 PM »
  :o like the red and white ones

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2014, 04:24 PM »
They look great! Keep us posted on how they work out for you.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2014, 05:44 PM »
I will let ya know how they work.  If anyone wants to do some product testing just pm me your address, I have no problem sharing.  That's what this place is all about.  The red and white ones are a spin off of one of my favorite lures.  They are a take off of the fiska white and red glow lure.  I have had a lot of luck with that one.

Offline pearly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:16 PM »
Great job!!!!! Helps pass the time while waiting on the ice to freeze!!!! Stay Dry!!!! Pearly

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2014, 05:29 AM »
nice jigs tater :thumbsup:
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2014, 06:01 AM »
Very heartwarming seeing how some of the members on this site is so willing to help anyone they can to catch more fish. You guys are class act role models for the rest of us on here ;D

Offline wolverine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I ain't gettin em I'm Lookin
« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2014, 06:22 AM »
You can put a coat of liquid fusion that has been thinned up a little bit. It is a water based adhesive that is quite hard when dry kind of like an epoxy would be. Can be found in craft and fabric stores. I learned of this from a fly tying catalog called Feather Craft. Have had great luck with it as a coating on all kinds of jigs whether using paint or nail polish, as with most anything else used as a coating you cannot rub it around. If you have some way of rotating your jigs after coating they will be more uniform in coverage with no sagging. Good luck.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2014, 02:06 AM »
Those look good,I hope the nail polish will hold up,I have tried that some and it seems after a few fish the paint starts to flake off. I had to go to jig paint to hold up in the long run.

put clear nail hardener ontop the nail polish, thats what most use in here.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2014, 02:10 AM »
Where did you find tungston beads? I have been using glass beads.Tungston would show up better on the vex I think.

I posted this in another thread a couple weeks ago, may help ya.

If you're interested in making some just like these, below is the links for supplies I bought. I listed everything but the colored thread. I got the beads from one seller, To save on S&H cost I bought all the other supplies(tensil,hooks,thread) from another seller
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-TUNGSTEN-beads-9-colors-4-sizes-to-choose-from-SEE-CHART-5-pacs-of-20-beads-/371034033470?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56635a0d3e
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Mustad-SIGNATURE-Dry-Fly-Hooks-R50-94840-Size-12-Very-Sharp-/221373751476?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338ae760b4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOLOGRAPHIC-Flashabou-FIRE-TIGER-Orange-Chartreuse-Gold-For-Bass-Pike-Flies-/221557942580?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3395e1e934
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLASHABOU-GLOW-in-the-DARK-WHITE-Fly-Tying-Ice-Fishing-/221403049412?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338ca66dc4

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2014, 06:38 AM »
Those look great Musky! Your a far better jig maker than joker lol!

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:21 AM »
Those look great Musky! Your a far better jig maker than joker lol!

Oh now we're buzzin buddies, ya right. U figured my riddle out yet? Its better than my jokes.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2014, 11:57 AM »
We don't have to be "buzzin buddies" I think you do plenty of "buzzin" for the both of us. Just because I prefer smoke on my muskie and you don't you hold a grudge and like to "inbred" or ingraining as you call it. I was only complimenting your jig work but you have to take it out of conext like everything else on many of threads you partake on. I can only hope that life gets better for you as it seems pretty miserable at this point geeze... Smile and be happy!!! You try to think there's some hidden message in every post. Learn to take a compliment as a compliment and quit watching the conspiracy theory series lol.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.