Author Topic: ION ELECTRIC AUGER  (Read 801 times)

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
ION ELECTRIC AUGER
« on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:13 PM »
Anyone used one or know someone who has?

Looks like the answer to my bum arm problems but don't want go shell out the bucks for a lemon.  All I have seen on the web seems they are good but would be nice to hear from someone who has actually used one for a season or more.

THANKS

FISHFORPIKE

Re: ION ELECTRIC AUGER
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Don't have one but there are quite a few guys on here that do and they like them.   Most everyone agrees the battery needs to be kept out of the extreme cold.
Have you looked at the new Lithium Strikemaster?  Or possibly the IceGator electric?  Choices are out there these days.

Offline ryanlookingforperch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:36 PM »
Wouldn't go down the Icegator road if you paid me.

Horrid service and they simply send your unit back to you still broken and your shipping costs are your own for a faulty product.

Dee peeple seemed decent to deal with until after I had paid tw hundreds in shipping and garbage to receive my broken icegator back in the same shape I shipped it to them in.

They aren't on this site anymore. And I'd say the service and reports of many here may have made that happen.

I'm sure it was Icegators choice. Ya right.

My two bits.

Love my new no mix jiffy 4G

Loved all my jiffy augers. Have three.

I'd never go electric again.

“The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope”

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:41 PM »
Wouldn't go down the Icegator road if you paid me.

Horrid service and they simply send your unit back to you still broken and your shipping costs are your own for a faulty product.

Dee peeple seemed decent to deal with until after I had paid tw hundreds in shipping and garbage to receive my broken icegator back in the same shape I shipped it to them in.

They aren't on this site anymore. And I'd say the service and reports of many here may have made that happen.

I'm sure it was Icegators choice. Ya right.

My two bits.

Love my new no mix jiffy 4G

Loved all my jiffy augers. Have three.

I'd never go electric again.

;D   ???

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:42 PM »
I bought the ION because i am more than a little "stove up",  it is very easy to use,  I keep the battery in a small soft cooler with a couple of heater packs and have never had a problem.  I do not drill alot of holes, 10 to 20 max.  but I have had it out below zero, and thick ice,(with the extension on, the powerhead was resting on the ice when I broke through) with no probs.  My only complaint is  the extension does not have flutes, so in thick ice you have to keep pulling the drill up to evacuate chips.  I had an icegator before , much faster, but also heavier.   

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:45 PM »
I bought the ION because i am more than a little "stove up",  it is very easy to use,  I keep the battery in a small soft cooler with a couple of heater packs and have never had a problem.  I do not drill alot of holes, 10 to 20 max.  but I have had it out below zero, and thick ice,(with the extension on, the powerhead was resting on the ice when I broke through) with no probs.  My only complaint is  the extension does not have flutes, so in thick ice you have to keep pulling the drill up to evacuate chips.  I had an icegator before , much faster, but also heavier.
What's the weight of the 8" ION?  My Gator with Lithium pack and 8" NILs is about 22 lbs.

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:52 PM »
I think the ION is right around 20lbs?  My gator had the old style batteries, much heavier,  also I was forever having to take it apart and fix it, it never let me down, but I only had it a couple of yrs.  Like the option of sharping my own blades also.  Gator was fast though...     

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2014, 06:05 PM »
Very happy with my 8" ION.  Grandson and I go up to North Hero, VT every Feb and with 15 tipups each we drill about 30 holes plus another 10 holes for jigging and even this past year with about 2' of ice we had no problem.  Kept ION warm in shanty and easily did another 10 holes or so during the day.  ION service dept is very helpful and always there to answer any questions and they seem to know a lot about actually using the auger, not just book stuff.

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2014, 10:04 PM »
ION is made by Eskimo and they make great products. Like all products, some are made on Monday and some are made on Friday guess which day the haters were made on? I've used the ION a fair bit and it works great and delivers what it promises. Everybody has their favourite vehicle, pizza place, fishing store, lake. If it cuts a hole and you catch a fish then who cares who made it.
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.