Author Topic: Marcum vs. Vexilar  (Read 3020 times)

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum vs. Vexilar
« on: Nov 25, 2014, 01:08 PM »
OK, I'm sure this has been a topic before and thought I'd see what you guys have to say.  I know we all have our preferences and I do own an FL-18 Vex.  I started off with an FL-8 Vex and caught more fish than without it.  Then a couple years ago I upgraded to the 18 and seen a big improvement because then I could filter out the noise from other locators.  Well my wife made the comment last night she thought she should give ice fishing a try because she's never done it before.  One of the reasons I married this wonderful woman is she isn't afraid to get out there with me and enjoy the outdoors like I do.  So I got to thinking I might like to invest in a Marcum so we have two locators.  Any and all information would be appreciated.  One thing I've noticed is a big price difference between the two.  Let me know what you think of price differences and if you've owned both and which one you thought out performed the other. 

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Marcum vs. Vexilar
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2014, 01:12 PM »
I'd see how she likes it first before blowing a wad of cash. Let her use yours a few times or is this an excuse to uograde lol!

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2014, 01:22 PM »
I'd see how she likes it first before blowing a wad of cash. Let her use yours a few times or is this an excuse to uograde lol!
LOL Stinky her and I already talked about that too.  But I told her when she sees how it works the first couple of times she'll be hooked.  She's more concerned about being cold and I told her I'll get my two man Shappell out and we can sit in there with a lantern and my propane heater.  Never fails unless it's bitter cold with a big wind, I'm taking my outer layers off because it gets too hot in there. 

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2014, 01:58 PM »
I would recommend a showdown for a first time flasher. I now own a vex, but I increased my catch rate dramatically once I got the showdown. So I'm recommending that for it's all around easy use. However if it is very cold I'd recommend an aluminum transducer arm, as I've heard some tell of the original plastic one breaking.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2014, 02:06 PM »
I really like the looks of that RT-9, but man that sucker is expensive, not to mention it doesn't include the $599.00 camera option.

Aaron
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2014, 02:14 PM »
OK, I'm sure this has been a topic before and thought I'd see what you guys have to say.  I know we all have our preferences and I do own an FL-18 Vex.  I started off with an FL-8 Vex and caught more fish than without it.  Then a couple years ago I upgraded to the 18 and seen a big improvement because then I could filter out the noise from other locators.  Well my wife made the comment last night she thought she should give ice fishing a try because she's never done it before.  One of the reasons I married this wonderful woman is she isn't afraid to get out there with me and enjoy the outdoors like I do.  So I got to thinking I might like to invest in a Marcum so we have two locators.  Any and all information would be appreciated.  One thing I've noticed is a big price difference between the two.  Let me know what you think of price differences and if you've owned both and which one you thought out performed the other.
you better hold onto her she's a keeper!!!

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2014, 02:37 PM »
Hmmmmm with the camera mentioned above that's an idea! Just get a camera best of both worlds that way. Watching jigging motion fishes reaction and just the underwater world on general can teach alot. Fun just to watch the fish inhale the bait too. I bet she'd like that.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2014, 03:34 PM »
Been running the same fl8 for years. I have alot of confidence in vex. However based on what ive seen out on the ice I would give Marcum my $ no problem.  I think theyre both the best  so it just comes down to cost. Cant lose either way

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2014, 03:55 PM »
I agree with Crappieslayer about the Showdown, it's simple to use and learn.  I love my Showdown Dual Beam and highly recommend it and I think she'll like it a lot because it's so simple.  When I was buying my "flasher" I did a ton of research and early on I ruled out Vexilar because of their prices.  Don't get me wrong I don't mind paying for quality but it seems like they expect people to buy their stuff and pay top prices because of their name.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2014, 04:00 PM »
Dang !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I guess I can't fish again this year. Can't afford one of those flashy locators.
Hmmmm !
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2014, 04:02 PM »
Don't get me wrong the flasher only tells you what's below you, it's up to the person fishing to catch them.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2014, 04:04 PM »
Tell her you are going to buy her the best electronics available because you want her to enjoy herself. Get her a LX9 or flx28 and then when she tells you its to cold to fish....it's yours!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2014, 04:12 PM »
Dang !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I guess I can't fish again this year. Can't afford one of those flashy locators.
Hmmmm !
Teach

Teach the wizards of ice fishing like yourself don't need flashers.. Then there's the rest of us dummies that need all the help we can get. Thank god the vex28 came out so all I have to do is turn it on auto. Not that I know what any of the marks are for but it's COOL!

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2014, 04:14 PM »
Lol I have the same dilemma stinky!! But it's a GOOD one ;)

Offline crappieghost

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2014, 04:37 PM »
I go with the showdown too. Got one last year and love it. Gave my friend my old fl8.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:34 PM »
My first car didn't have power steering, power brakes, cruise, tilt wheel, heated seats, satellite radio, backup camera, navigation system, or a cup holder. And although it still got me from point A to point B, which I would reckon was and is the main objective, I sure do appreciate driving a late model, modern automobile these days. The drive itself becomes a lot more pleasant, which makes "getting there" a lot more fun.

Like many on here, I've caught fish without the aid of modern electronics. I suppose I still could. But having tried it both ways, I'm sticking with the electronics. Another entirely different aspect of enjoyment.

Offline first sergeant

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Suck it up and drive on troop
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:45 PM »
Tell her you are going to buy her the best electronics available because you want her to enjoy herself. Get her a LX9 or flx28 and then when she tells you its to cold to fish....it's yours!
        There is my thoughts as well.  But with the camera I am sold nothing better than watching the fish and their reaction to your jigging motion.
Prov.27:17 As iron sharpens iron ,so one man sharpens another.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:53 PM »
For a secondary flasher, I think the Marcum VX-1 is very hard to beat.  They seem to be pretty bullet-proof and very straight-forward to use.  It gives  you the features of an FL-18 (bottom zoom) but the big difference is you can buy a used VX-1 or VX-1P for about $150 vs. about $350 used for Vex 18.  I have a Vex 28 and a VX-1 that I bring when I fish with the kids or someone who doesn't have electronics.  One of the best "entry level" flashers I have found. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:21 PM »
Vex hands down.. :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:23 PM »
I currently own both. I have owned 3 vex over the years and I now just have the 18. I also have a LX-3, which I bought in the off season several years
ago. Both units are nice and are hands down better than going without. This year I added a new Lowrance unit to my boat so I also added the ice ducer
and carry bag. To me they all work well and it is more of a personal preference or what kind of a deal can I find at the bait store or garage sale. They all
are better than nothing so my best advice would be to try to get your hands on several units on the ice and try them out.

Greg
Fish on!

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:26 PM »
Vexilar Rules !!!   
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2014, 10:24 PM »
I just bought a Showdown 2.0 a few yrs. ago and like it alot. Good price and easy to use.
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.